“Typical European Coast hotel”
Review of Hotel Aiguablava

Hotel Aiguablava
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Begur
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Very big property, happended to be there for a wedding. Rooms are in many different buildings. Food was pretty good at lunch.

Pro:
European feel
Rooms are decent for a coast hotel

Cons:
Expensive
Breakfast was nothing special

Disclaimer: I did stay here for a wedding and had a great time, so this may have influenced my stay here!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank VP_DHC

Reviewed August 27, 2013

long estd family run hotel.no kids clubs.old fashioned style with basics needed to have a great holiday.excellent service and food.mixture of European clientele.high percentage of repeat custom.quiet location.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Stephen F
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stayed there for 2 nights at the beginning of August 2013. This stay was a 40th birthday anniversary present from friends to my husband. The idea was to have a short break in Spain and dive. I was looking for a 4stars hotel on the sea cost not far from the French boarder with a good restaurant and sea view comfortable rooms.
I paid 390 €/night with full board that looked to be not cheap but normal for Costa Brava at the high season. According to the description of the website of the hotel, all the rooms are facing the sea. But the reality is far from what they show on the pictures. The hotel consists of the main building that really faces the sea and numerous small houses that the hotel acquired little by little. They are all around the main building and it make a sort of a puzzle. The room that we were proposed was facing the main building of the hotel and had a view to the other rooms and the restaurant and a small fishing port (room 6). Yes, we could see some sea water literary speaking but it had nothing to do with the promised views to the picturesque cliffs and pine trees.
I went back to the reception and refused the room. First the girls at the reception tried to make me believe that there are no other rooms available and even proposed me to go away if I was not happy but I was determined to get what I had booked. Finally they gave me another room in the same building (room 3) This room was better than the first one but still it didn't resemble at all the pictured that are placed on the web site. So, I was disappointed again.
The plates at the entrance inform the clients that Aigua Blava Hotel is a 4 stars establishment and a luxury hotel. No, it is not the case. I would classify it as a 3 stars hotel and nothing to do with the luxe. Yes, it has its charm and character. It is an old style Spanish hotel, partially refurbished. But the rooms are small, very simple and just having the minimum of the comfort. The bathroom is correct but not more. The sleep quality is descent but it is not the bedding as at certain hotels that one would dream to drag home. The split ac in our room was working and cooling down the t° but at the same time brought an unbearable smell of sewage. We could not support it and switched off!
Just to add view features of "4 stars luxury" service, upon the arrival I unpacked the bags and wanted to iron my clothes for the dinner. I asked for an iron at the reception but it turned out that the hotel doesn't have irons to lend to the clients! So, we wore wrinkled clothes during our stay :)
I decided to accept this room but wanted to share my disappointment with the management of the hotel. I was received by an angry manager who nearly shouted at me and I retreated.
After having a walk around, we realized that our room number 3 was not the worst. Some of them have very tiny balconies and placed very low, on the same level than the street, and the others are just above the restaurant
As for the meals, we were more than satisfied. The quality was very good, the choice was large. The drinks are not included into the full board but the prices are fare. Just be aware that it takes 2 hours to have a lunch as the service is VERY slow. The staff is numerous but not efficient.
As a conclusion, we've got a mixed feeling. The hotel has some charm but being highly demanded in summer doesn't keeps its promises.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Marykar
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed there for only one night on our way to Avignon from Barcelona. Wanted to see what the NE Spanish coast looks like. It was a picturesque property on top of a cliff overlooking a small fishing village. The property was more of a family resort for all ages. Had a small (top optional) beach at the bottom of the cliff, a large swimming pool with bar, terrace restaurant, tennis courts, ping pong tables, etc. I almost wished we had the kids with us, found out lots of families return to this property each year for their holidays. Would recommend it highly. Staff was extremely patient and helpful. The only reason I did not rate it excellent is because of the wear in the upholstery and furnishings. The rooms could do with a bit of updating. But food, drink, service, everything else is top notch and this is an excellent value.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Motahari76
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel occupies a beautiful location overlooking a cove filled with small boats. The location, though beautiful, is quite isolated. It is possible to hike to Acquiblava beach where there are a few restaurants, but otherwise you are obligated to eat at the hotel unless you want to drive a long, winding, steep road to Begur and return after presumably drinking some of Spain's teriffic wine with dinner. Also, note that the hike to Aquablava beach involves about 205 minutes of steep stairs and returning, in the dark, is a challenge-take a flashlight! Eating at the hotel might be OK for one night but it is just not that good. Another thing to be aware of is that the hotel is packed with families. That's fine if you are traveling with small children, but if you are a couple of adults, well...it's just not that charming listening to all the yelling, screaming and howling. Nothing against families, just be aware of it. Frankly, I'd choose to stay in Begur, or Llafranc where one could walk to numerous restaurants and bars without worrying about the drive. The hotel's staff is friendly enough but they are quite stingy about replacing towels-they will only provide one beach towel which must be turned in before providing another and the "towel service" ends at 7PM. Towels left on the counter in the bathroom are not replaced, just hung up on the hooks.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JimHering
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Yes this is a lament , from a client staying here for the last 20 years or so who couldn't come this year with my little family of wife ,daughter and granddaughter , iylie , happily if you like my
Daughter is going to have another baby very soon so we had to give this wonderful hotel a miss this year , no marvellous views of the bay from our room , no splendid breakfasts , no lunch under the trees and in the dappled light in the garden by the pool, no riotous dinners on the terrace "chez Antonio" , no Pepe, Luis , and Antonio, no sounds of iylie running around and having fun
With all her friends , oh dear !
We shall return and probably one years absence will make us like it the more , meanwhile I am having withdrawal symptons .

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank alanEastSussexUk
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights at this relaxed and luxurious hotel by the sea in the small cove of Aigua Blava. the hotel is well run and the staff dress formally but the atmosphere is relaxed. It has a lovely pool, but we walked down to the cove to swim in the sea. Ask for a sea view - it is stunning! The formal dining room dinners are good, but we found we did not want to eat so much late on and instead ate from the snack menu on the terrace which was very good. The buffet breakfast is very good and generous.
We liked the cool relaxing lounges and my wife enjoyed a good quality massage in the salon.

Room Tip: Ask for view over the sea