“Nice inn”

Concord's Colonial Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Concord
Reviewed October 6, 2008

We stayed at the Colonial Inn for one night during our fall foliage tour of New England. The inn does have some deferred maintenance, but then it is old, which is part of the charm. Our room was large and quiet. We would recommend this inn.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank sgs312

Reviewed October 1, 2008

We stayed at the Colonial Inn for one night while doing a road trip thru the New England states. It was a charming, quaint place to stay but it is OLD. Being old is part of the charm. In reading the other reviews, I thought twice about staying here but decided since there was nothing else available in Concord I would chance it and I am glad that I did.

We arrived mid-afternoon and were greeted by a young man working at the desk. He checked us in and gave us a discount coupon for a meal for 20% off. He then personally escorted us to the room.

The room was very small with older furniture and crocheted doilies and such around the room. There was a small work table for your computer. Bathroom was very small with just a shower. Everything was clean. The bed was a queen size and comfortable. Wallpapered and white paneled walls, rug was a little outdated but clean.

Those staying here need to consider that this Inn is a National Historic Hotel and therefore is OLD. Old does not equate to the Marriott or Ritz. I found the place to be rather quaint. They had really put a lot of fall decorations around with mums, pumpkins and bales of hay - nice touch. Inside you can tell the place is quite old but I think they have done the best that they can considering the age. If you want shiney and new - best to stay someplace else.

We did eat dinner here and we were not sorry. I had the Yankee Pot Roast which was a huge portion and very tender and very tasty. My husband had the prime rib and it was about average size. Both were presented well and we received excellent service from our waitress, Amy.

We also had breakfast the morning we checked out and it was fine. The three egg omelet was good and the cheese was real cheddar with large chunks of ham. Didn't care much for the potatoe pancakes as they were deep fried and very greasy. Fresh squeezed OJ was wonderful and not too badly priced at $2.95 a glass.

Check out was a bit frustrating. There were two women in line in front of us and they wanted to split the bill so that each paid half. The older woman working the desk had quite a time trying to figure this out. We probably had to wait over 15 minutes til she figured it out and took care of us. She was the only person on the front desk and was having a bit of a problem multi -tasking - i.e. checking out folks, answering the phone and someone came up with the question who refused to wait and demanded immediate attention. To the person working the desk, I do give her credit for trying but she may need some help with the computer. Obviously, this is was just inconvenience more than anything else but would have resulted in some issues if we weren't patient.

The location of the inn is fabulous. It is located directed on Monument Square and you can walk around the small town of Concord very easily from the hotel. Lots of small shops close by. No Wal Mart, no Mickey D's, no KFC which is a good thing for this location.

I felt it was a good value as we paid $68 from Hotwire plus tax. I doubt if I would have paid their regular rate.

We had a pleasant experience and enjoyed it very much. Loved the Concord area. I would actually go out of my way to stay here again. It was a very relaxing evening. I think you need to keep in mind that in this case what type of palce this actually is.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lovinlife1245
Reviewed August 27, 2008

we stayed in one of the colonial inn's guesthouses (their most deluxe accomodation) for several months during a relocation. although the location can not be beat and the apartment came with everythin that we could possibly need, our stay was a study in how not to treat hotel guests.

the most serious problem that we encountered is that the sales manager who started harassing us from the day we moved in because he was unhappy with the rate that i negotiated. he kept calling us to ask if we would consider moving out earlier. simply put, we never felt welcome or appreciated.

then there is the fact that the hotel has zero noise control. we can hear every conversation that our neighbors have, and they can hear ours. we were often woken up at insane hours by our neighbors footseps and arguments. we were also blamed for several noise disturbances that were actually caused by other guests.

adding insult to injury was the fact that the accounting department kept trying to scam us with erroneous charges. they tried to charge us a state sales tax, even though they aren't supposed to tax hotel stays that last longer than 3 months.

there have been a never ending stream of insults and annoyances along the way that are too numerous to list here. my basic advice is that the hotel is ok if your expectations are very low and all you care about is a room in concord center. but there is a very good reason that the hawthorne inn (10 minute walk from the center) gets better reviews.

i would never reccomend this place to a friend or family member. and the food is terrible.

pros: the cleaning staff and receptionists couldn't be nicer or more professional. our kitchen is very well equipped, the apartment is tastefully furnished, and their is free wi-fi.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank HK_Expat
Reviewed June 5, 2008

Stayed there one night Memorial Day Weekend for a family function. The room was on the first floor and felt like a basement in-law apartment from colonial times. The place had a bit of a run down feeling as if the furniture was not just antique old, but had seen better days. The bed was not real comfortable, but adequate to sleep in for one night. The location is excellent, right on the town square and near the village center. Parking is free, but can be a hassle on a busy weekend. The staff was friendly but seemed overworked. Others have remarked that this place is in need of renovation and it could be really excellent with a good renovation, but now it seems a bit saggy -- much like the bed.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 23, 2008

My girlfriend and I stopped by the Pub at the Colonial Inn this afternoon after cross country skiing in Carlisle, MA for a beer and a hearty meal like I had done many times before with great satisfaction. We ordered the Kobe beef burger (medium and medium raw)...what we thought was the premium burger with high expectations. They both came out very over cooked, mine was burned to a crisp. We should have sent them back but we didn't want to make a fuss, we were hungry and didn't want to be there forever ( a very bad decision), but when they over charged us for the meal we had to say something. The regular burger was $9.95, the supposedly Kobe burger was $14.95, we were charged $16.20 for food not cooked to order. Apparently they over charged the table next to us as well. They corrected the bill but did not do anything about the poor quality of the food. I would not recommend this restaurant and we will never go back. It is obvious they are under new management and is not the great place it used to be.

Stayed: February 2008
2  Thank DavidBoston08
Reviewed February 17, 2008

tried to go with my family for lunch yesterday....service was so poor that they couldn't even seat us. stood in the lobby to be seated - after a few minutes of blank stares from staff we left.

really pretty town - the service at the colonial inn needs renovation.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank peterm312
Reviewed November 29, 2007

I stayed in a one bedroom apartment in a small house across the parking lot from the Inn for a month in 2006 while my daughter was receiving medical treatment in Boston. The apartment was lovely and cozy and the staff bent over BACKWARDS to make sure my visit was wonderful. I also stayed for a few nights in the Inn before my apartment was available and found it to be cozy and enjoyable.

I found the Colonial Inn to be an excellent value for the money. I think the folks complaining about the property needing renovation should take a closer look at the value.

The location was fabulous, the food, when we chose to eat at the restaurant, was very good. The town of Concord and, while some of the shops were a bit snotty, most of the smaller stores and restaurants were fine.

Stayed: November 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concord
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Concord
#2 of 4 in Lexington
Westford Regency Inn
Westford Regency Inn
#3 of 3 in Westford

Been to Concord's Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!