Concord's Colonial Inn
Best Western at Historic Concord(Concord)(Great Value!)
$160
Hotels.com
$224
$203
  • Breakfast included
Courtyard Boston Waltham(Waltham)(Great Value!)
$143
All reviewswalden pondnorth bridgenew englandrevolutionary warchicken pot piemain buildinghistoric siteshistoric charmmonument squareshort drivechain hotelsrooms are smalldowntown concordsleepy hollow cemeterytavernmerchants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Concord's Colonial Inn Is indeed charming, which can be a mixed blessing. The main building is really three buildings from different time periods that have been amalgamated into a maze of restaurant dining rooms, common areas, meeting spaces and function rooms. Those with an eye for historical architecture will appreciate the attempts to preserve the period but will also notice many anachronistic renovations. The inn certainly capitalizes on its historical significance. The walls are adorned with prints and tales of the revolutionary war battles at Concord in 1775. The small gift shop has a number of related trinkets.

We were there on a Valentines' Day package that included the room, dinner, admission to the live band and breakfast. Dinner was good, but very pricey ($30 dollar entrees) and the portions were small.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 1, 2014

I stayed at the Inn for a business trip- a very busy business trip. I didn't get to explore the area, but I certainly will during my next visit. The location is in Concord's center and it's just fabulous. The building is an absolute maze... it took me the week to get myself oriented, but it certainly was fun. The building's history began in the 1700's and the history has been, for the most part, preserved. There is no elevator. Keep this in mind if you don't plan to travel light. No one offered to help with bags. If you enter from the main entrance, you will be on the second floor, so you can avoid stairs if you enter there and stay somewhere on the second floor. If you enter from the rear, where the parking is, however, there is no avoiding stairs. I was on the third floor. I'm still fairly young, strong and I pack light so I was okay but I could really see some travelers struggling with this. Now... as for ghosts (see the Ghost Hunters episode about Room 24), I am happy/sad to report there were no doors closing on their own, though one might say there were some unexplained noises ;-). Anyhow, it was a really fun visit and, if you get a chance, you should check out the live music. My favorite was Wednesday night at 7:30. Happy travels!

Room Tip: The second floor is the main floor if you enter from the front of the building. There is no elevator. Room 24 is said to be haunted.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Randi C
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We actually visited in August 2012, but I wanted to make sure I got a review in here! As the other reviews have said, this historic hotel dating back from the 1700's is a bit of a rabbit warren (as you would very well expect it to be), but we liked that it still felt authentic, and the room itself had all the mod-cons you would expect for the price.

We had a nice clean room, big bathroom and free wifi. When we arrived it was quite busy, but the desk staff were patient and polite with everyone being served.

There is an amazing little hole in the wall bar within the hotel, the bar tender was great and the stories were plenty. We chose not to have breakfast there, but instead wandered up the street to grab a bite, which is easy as the hotel is very centrally located.

Convenient car parking, caring staff and a good night's sleep - who could ask for more? Well, if you did want more and you are into the paranormal - you could ask to stay in room 24, which is apparently haunted!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Prescott Wing (the newer section) and our room was big, spacious and had been recently refurbished.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were a family of four, staying in the bottom floor of the "Cottage," across the parking lot from the main building. We stayed overnight on Thanksgiving and ate both the holiday buffet and breakfast.

Pros: Cottage had plenty of space for two adults (king bed) and two kids (two twins in separate room), along with full kitchen, which we needed because of some special dietary concerns. Beds were quite comfortable. Big-screen TV provided excellent Turkey Day football viewing. Thanksgiving buffet was pricey but worth it, with great variety of dishes, including a whole room's worth of desserts. Restaurant staff were consistently helpful and friendly, even when they were serving 1200 people (!) over the course of Thanksgiving Day.

Cons: Lots of little, nagging things added up to detract from our stay. Room heat was up around 85 when we arrived, though it fell quickly once we found and adjusted the thermostat. Bathroom only had towels/washcloths for two, even though room obviously holds at least four guests. Shower head leaked, and bathroom sink drain stopper didn't work. TV remote batteries were missing. Wifi was frustratingly erratic, and the whole system of giving every individual guest a slip of paper with a dedicated userid/password seems incredibly inefficient. Whole complex felt like it needed some deferred maintenance.

Overall, the historic charm and holiday festivity won us over, but there were too many basic housekeeping and maintenance problems for a place of this reputation.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank russellroad
CCI-Guest-Relations, Guest Relations at Concord's Colonial Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2014

Hello russellroad,

So happy you enjoyed the space and kitchen in our first floor Cottage Suite! Thanksgiving is a wonderful time here at Concord's Colonial Inn and we work very hard to create a bountiful Thanksgiving Buffet.
We are sad to hear, however, that your stay with us did not meet your full expectations. Our hope is that when you approached the desk with these problems we solved them promptly and to the best of our abilities. We have a fantastic team at our front desk that works directly with housekeeping and maintenance to resolve such issues as the ones you encountered, and it appears for your stay we fell short; for that, we are incredibly sorry. If you did not contact the desk, please take into account that we cannot fix such issues if we are not aware of them. We strive for full guest satisfaction, so please help us help you.

On a positive note, our entire Cottage, both first floor and second floor suites, are soon to be completely renovated so that no forthcoming guests will confront these challenges in the future.

We hope if you choose to stay with us in the future we can meet your full expectations!

All the best,
Guest Relations

Reviewed November 4, 2013

The location is great, and I liked this historic feel (we were in the main building). The rooms are on the small side, but that is to be expected in an historic building.

The staff were mostly helpful in guiding us through the maze-like layout. We ate two meals in the on-site restaurants and both were fine.

Room cleanliness wasn't a problem... but there were a string of annoying little events with housekeeping.

I have a bad reaction to most hotel soap, so I always travel with my own. On our third day there, the cleaning staff staff decided to throw out my soap. It may be their routine to replace soap every few days, but my soap was obviously different from that provided by the hotel.

The cleaner also decided to remove a nearly full bottle of complimentary shampoo from the shower... but didn't replace it. Instead, the housekeeper left an extra bottle of conditioner.

At least I discovered these things before I was /in/ the shower. I had to make an trip to the drug store to find a soap that wouldn't give me an allergic reaction.

On check out day, the someone from housekeeping knocked on the door two hours before check out to inquire when we would be leaving. An hour later, she was back knocking on the door to check on our progress! Rather than let us leave in peace, she walked into the room. I said it felt like she was rushing us out the door... "No, I'm not rushing you at all," she said as she started opening drawers!!

I understand that its often a tight timeframe to turn over rooms. But we were checking out a full hour prior to the published check out time.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family