“A great historic house”

and up
American History Tour: Cambridge, Lexington and Concord Day Trip from Boston
Ranked #10 of 33 things to do in Concord
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Th-Sun house tours are available in the late Spring and Summer; they are similar to southern "historic house" tours, in that they concentrate on the history of the Emerson family in Concord, esp. from the 1830s-1870s. The Emerson family still owns the house, and most rooms are authentic except for Emerson's study (furniture is across the street at the Concord Museum, and books are in the Houghton Library at Harvard).

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Absolutely worth seeing, one of our first stops in Concord. We got there when a tour had already started and they let us join it and stay with another group that was just starting at the end to hear what we missed. The great thing about this was no wait time and we had the fortune of listening to different guides, therefore we got a lot of great information. Be careful not to touch anything, a lot of people on our tour were inconsiderate about that, the guides don't enforce it as much as they should. It's important to preserve this historic site and the items inside of it for future generations to enjoy.

1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed November 27, 2011

The Home was closed for the season. We peered through the windows and toured the grounds outside.

1  Thank BirthdayBoy2010
Reviewed September 2, 2011

A visit to Emerson's home was everything I wanted and more. You are not allowed to wander around alone and must take the guided tour. Ours was led by 2 seniors steeped in knowledge of the times and well-informed in all things about Emerson, his hime, and the artifacts within. The tour is a good 45 minutes and every question I asked was answered by the wonderful guides in great detail.

My favorite part was being able to sit in Emerson's study and imagine him sitting there, reading and writing at his table.

I'm extremely picky about having my questions answered completely (and in this case I know a fair amount about Emerson and his contemporaries) so I was delighted and enriched because the guides knew far more, in greater depth, than I.

The tiny bookstore within the house is just a few shelves, but had quality selections. if you want more, just walk a couple of blocks over to the Concord Bookshop. I bought a book at Emerson house, though, because I wanted to support their mission.

3  Thank Kathleen811
Reviewed October 4, 2010

My book club read "Mr. Emerson's Wife" so a few of us decided to go to Concord for a girls day ie; museums, Walden Pond, shopping and lunch. We really enjoyed visiting Emerson's house and grounds but the people who worked at the house were snotty and not that helpful. I lost track how many times someone in the group asked a question and they either wouldn't answer or said they didn't know. Also, we were rushed a bit out of each room. I was amazed how many paintings or photos the workers did not know who the people in them were.
Also, at the end we tried to look at the books/post cards and were rushed out.
Definitely would recommend Concord and visiting this museum but do not expect to be happy with the tour guides in this house.

7  Thank reese1