“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2014

I've passed The Colonial a hundred times over the past couple of years, I'm certain, and I've mentioned on several occasions that I'd like to eat there "just because." Well, on a beautiful Sunday afternoon, after strolling through the antiques shops, I found myself ready for a lunch and ready to give The Liberty at the Colonial a shot. Our party of two was promptly greeted and seated at a wonderful table outside, just as we requested. So far, so good. Service was efficient, yet not rushed. I opted for the soup, salad, sandwich combo and my companion ordered a chicken Caesar salad. I'm told the salad was crisp, the dressing was perfect (although a little more would have been appreciated), and the chicken was seared just enough to be flavorful, yet moist. Instead of the soup of the day, which was a Southwestern chili type, I upgraded to clam chowder. It was absolutely worth the extra $. Lots of big chunks of clam, not loaded with potato, and just a nice rich cream. The salad was nice, and my warm half roast beef wrap was served rare, and very, very tender. But the star of this luncheon outing was most definitely DESSERT! We didn't go in planning to order dessert, but I always ask for a menu just to "dream." When we saw they were offering up a mixed berry bread pudding, our curiosity was piqued enough to give it a try. Of course, we had to order a second offering, so we chose the tropical creme brûlée. The bread pudding was absolutely excellent. Best texture ever! And without doubt, the creme brûlée was among the best I've ever had. Needless to say, we loved this place!

1  Thank periphery10

Reviewed June 23, 2014

Atmosphere on a perfect summer night was great. Very friendly staff and good service. But food was a D. (We didn't say anything, we never do.) How can a 'pub' serve mediocre to bad fries? My daughter had the special Grilled Cheese - Provolone with prosciutto and tomatoes. It had almost no cheese- one slice- and the prosciutto was just okay. I had a salad, sandwich/soup combo. I think it said the clam chowder was with bacon and thyme, certainly didn't notice that plus just okay overall. The salad was only lettuce. The sandwich was good, but the turkey was just deli turkey. My husband's steak was okay. We are new to the area and have wanted to go, so now been there and did love the atmosphere, but won't go again. Hard to spend $75 for something you can make better at home. We have been to Helen's and that is much better.

2  Thank StacySMort5
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Let me say that the waiter spilled ketchup on my sons pants and I still gave this 5 stars. It was an easy accident and he went out of his way to make it right and all is forgiven. The food was great- I had the chowder, salad and beef wrap and it was all amazing. Also the view on the patio overlooking he quaint New England town was lovely. One of the best lunches we had in a week.

1  Thank boog33
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Colonial Inn is just down the street from the Old North Bridge and The Old Manse. It's filled with its own history, and is located at the rotary in the center of Concord. We would have loved to sit out on the front porch for our lunch, but the porch was full. The inside of the restaurant probably still looks the same as it did over a hundred years ago. The wait staff was friendly, and the food was good. If you're touring the sites in Concord, this is a good choice to stop for a meal. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars is because although my wife and I were happy with the menu, there was not a lot of choices that appealed to our ten year old.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

This bar located in an historic building in colonial Concord, MA is dark and romantic with a cozy gas fireplace. Lots of beer choices including craft beers. Pub food and light bites available. Nice bartenders too. You can move on to have dinner in a variety of dining areas but we did not do that ourselves. Located in the heart of historic Concord, the restaurant is in walking distance of all kinds of shops and eateries.