“Wish this wonderful place were a lot closer...”
Review of The Colonial Inn

The Colonial Inn
Ranked #4 of 49 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We keep reading all this "new chef" talk and how the place has gone downhill (or gone uphill) or just isn't the same, etc., etc., etc. We scratch our heads and wonder what is going on? As best as we can tell, we have enjoyed meals there that were prepared under the guidance of Executive Chefs Leo Kremer, James Ott and Chris Frothingham. Every meal has been damn near perfect and I would be hard-pressed to differentiate one executive chef's supervision from the other... but maybe we just haven't been paying close enough attention. We just enjoy our Colonial Inn meals and don't try to second guess who prepared them.

I will say that our last meal there was exceptionally good... totally outstanding. I always go for the pot roast while my wife likes to try the various specials. For me, the pot roast is just too darn good to pass up. It's a near-religious experience for me. It beats the pot roast prepared anywhere else we have visited. In fact, it's not even a contest.

Service is usually very good, but it can vary a bit depending on which room you choose, how busy they are when you arrive, the change in shifts and which server you happen to get. That doesn't bother us at all but I can appreciate that others in a hurry might be unhappy if service is not fast enough. This is not a place to stop at if you are in a big rush. This is a place to take it slow and easy and thoroughly enjoy the wonderful historic inn atmosphere.

Highly recommended by us, this is one of our "Top 5" restaurants for an enjoyable evening out. We only wish it were a whole lot closer to home.

1  Thank Dougster2010

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Loved the colonial decor. Furnishings and wall decorations told the story of our colonial past in pictures and words. Food was delicious and service was great. A wonderful experience!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I am perplexed as to why The Colonial Inn management changed their chef and menu options? As a result, it is evident that the food menu,quality have both suffered since the recent chef change-over. Meanwhile,the entree prices have risen. The prior pub menu use to offer 2 or 3 "old school" colonial-era type meals, Which made feel like I was back in the 1700-1800's period for a couple of hours- a flavor of Old Americana!, (a cool experience!).
Now, The Colonial Inn has now become just another vanilla restaurant, lost it's special niche. We have been frequent foodies to this location for last 2 years. Since we live in a nearby town.
We recently had dinner there on 9/17/12. My wife had the salmon salad and she complained that the salmon had a strong "fishy" smell, the salad presentation and portion size was terrible. The salad was topped with a dusting of grated cheese instead of freshly shaved parmasan cheese ,(my wife had better salmon salad's at The 99 Restaurant). I had their staple chicken pot pie offering, It also was marginal at best.. The chicken pot pie contained a soupy mix of shredded chicken,sparse potatoes and carrot bits and onions, the gravy was not thick enough. Before the chef change-over ...their chicken pot pie contained big chucks of chicken, potatoes, onions,carrots with a delicious crust and was less soupy. I have to sadly say that I have had better chicken pot pies (take out) from Whole Foods and Reins Deli in Conn. Both our meals were around $17-$20 range.
I strongly suggest the Colonial Inn management reconsider bringing back the previous chef and it's menu! The Maitre d' and wait-staff named "Isabella" were both courteous and friendly that night. The Maitre d' actually came by the dinning room tables to ask patrons about their meals, I told him about my soupy chicken pot pie and he apologized and did offer to replace it. At that point, I couldn't be bothered to wait around.
Fyi...The Sunday Brunch selections and quality have also suffered during the new chef change-over.
Sadly, My wife and I won't be going back as frequently as we have in the past, until something changes over there. (The food is average to below average, a poor rating is too harsh in my opinion). It feels like The Colonial Inn management has made a stategic decision to cut cornors on their food quality going forward. I hope it changes!
Hey Paul Revere and John Adams, I suggest you keep galloping onto another Inn!

2  Thank Bill M
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Sunday brunch is ridiculously good and has breakfast things, fish, cold cuts, pasta, carving stations, desserts, fresh baked everything, fruit, salads, cheese station, fresh soups, just way more than one can eat

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We took out Italian friends here, thinking and believing we would be getting a decent New England meal. It was barely edible. Cold French Fries. Stinky fish. Greasy slaw. Way too sweet corn bread. Grey meat. Did we catch it on a bad day? The wait staff was rule, too. Won't go back. Won't take guests here ever again.

1  Thank Christine P