“Solid Chinese & Taiwanese Food”
Review of Asian Gourmet

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

This is a fantastic Chinese restaurant located right off of route 2. I've stopped here a bunch of times on my way to Hutchins Farms and every time left impressed with the quality of the food. And while the entrance is a bit confusing because the bottom floor is Chinese/Taiwanese and Hibachi while the upper floor is Japanese, once you actually figure it out it's really not all that bad and well worth the trouble. On every one of my visits there, I've only been to the Chinese and Taiwanese part and have yet to check out their sushi house upstairs.

Upon walking in, you'll definitely notice a few things. There's a whiteboard with a bunch of specials on it and there dining room is a combination of tables, booths and Hibachi stands. There's no dividers anywhere, it's just one room.

Having been there multiple times. I can honestly say that I've never had a bad meal. Their food is fairly authentic and the menu is quite big and features all kinds of dishes. Some of the highlights from my prior experiences have been their sliced beef wrapped in scallion pancakes ($5.95), their steamed mini, juicy pork dumplings ($6.95) and their wonton soup ($1.95). Their beef with onions and green scallions was also one of my favorites ($11.95) and just about any other dish I've had. They also have dishes featuring all kinds of seafood items, tripe and to top it all off, you can have various kinds of bubble tea to wash it all down.

All in all, it's a clean spot with good service, good prices and good food. It's nothing outstanding, but well worth eating at if in the area. A lot of their customer base are of Asian descent and that was a something I noticed every visit I've had there - and that my friends, is always a very good sign. Another great thing: they have a large, private lot with plenty of parking.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Wow! What an experience! If we had not been with friends, we might not have lasted the night.

Asian Gourmet was this year’s choice for our annual Chinese restaurant pilgrimage on Christmas Eve. We had eaten lunch there in the past, and reviews in Yelp (where are all the TripAdvisor critics?) suggested that it was the best in Acton. So why not give it a try to see if it could fare better than the slimy Americanized food at Yangtze River in Littleton?

We arrived in time for our 7 PM reservation and stood in the entranceway for 10 minutes until a table opened. It was one of those convertible tables with four fold-out flaps to give just enough room for seven midgets, and we were planted on the main thoroughfare from the kitchen and in close proximity to the entranceway we had just left. It was as calm as an afternoon siesta in the middle of Penn Station.

What made our meal truly unique this particular evening was the service. It was a true caricature of traditional Chinese restaurant hospitality, even though this restaurant is supposed to be Taiwanese. It was a struggle to get water and tea cups for everyone. For some reason, we needed to ask three times to get everyone covered only to hear a waiter ask “How many cups do you want?” Two of the ice waters collapsed due to the instability of the table leaves, and a waiter ‘came to our aid’ by tossing a white gym towel for us to clean the mess. Meanwhile, amidst the chaos, someone else delivered one small dish of peanuts and another of pickled cabbage to share seven ways (I wonder how many guests would have justified a second dish), while a kettle of tea appeared out of nowhere, too. Those who poured themselves were disappointed to see slightly tinted water. We were initially advised that it was normal green tea, but the waiter eventually bowed to the unmistakable reality of having served us hot dishwater by adding a second tea bag to what had miraculously become Jasmine tea. When we asked for forks, a waitress returned with a potpourri of mismatched utensils and plopped them in front of me to distribute. There was implied pressure to order quickly, as the waiter hung over the table while we tried to choose dishes from a 16 page menu. We had to share, because – just as for the water and tea -not everybody earned the right to a menu, and one lucky diner was limited to the sushi selections from the restaurant upstairs. The waitress was disinterested when we told her about the mismatch and simply returned the Japanese menu into the pile for its next unsuspecting victim.

In all fairness, the food was actually quite good. We had string Sautéed String Beans, Chinese Eggplant in Garlic Sauce, Home Style Fried Tofu with Mixed Vegetables, House Special Rice Cake, as well as brown and white rice. But the dishes were served with the grace of an Austrian avalanche, and nobody ever returned to see if the food was to our satisfaction, refill our waters, clean our table, take desert orders, or deliver our check. At Asian Gourmet, you basically need to ask for everything.

After 40 minutes of friendly post-meal discussion, we requested our bill. Only then did the obligatory fortune cookies arrive as a hand delivered dump – unfortunate since fortunes are often a fun topic of conversation. At the same time, the waitress awkwardly wished us happy "birthday" then shifted her table cleaning prowess into high gear as we tried to share our fortunes and put on coats. Whatever happened to clearing dirty dishes as soon as patrons finish the meal or after they vacate the restaurant?

Will we return? Perhaps for lunch when there is less strain on what we might euphemistically call a ‘delicate delivery system’. But as far as dinners are concerned, unless the staff takes a few lessons in service etiquette from an accredited junior college, the Asian Gourmet restaurant is – until further notice – hereby strictly recommended for take-out only.

9  Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I have driven by this place on many occasions and finally decided to give it a try, since my husband and I love sushi. This was truly the worst sushi I have ever eaten. Some of the maki rolls taste as if the raw fish was marinated in a pound of butter. The chef switched out more expensive fish that we ordered for less expensive fish (i.e. yellowfin tuna for salmon). Fake crab meat galore, most of it taste like it was grilled in butter and was served warm, shredded over a VERY expensive roll, which turned out to be a California roll. Overall, the sushi just taste bad. The house salad was the only saving grace of the meal. I would never recommend this place to anyone and will certainly never be going back. The worst part was, the bill - close to $80.00 for a few rolls, salads, and a beer. Price would have been okay if sushi wasn't so horrible!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We ate upstairs...there are about a dozen tables/booths....no ambiance. We waited OVER 1/2 hour and still weren't served! When we inquired about our food, we were told, "2 minutes". Fifteen minutes later, we got up and left!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Ttonight I called ahead at 7:00 to see if they were open. I was told they close at 9:00. Got there at 8:15, and saw all their trash wrapped and ready to go outside right at the door way. When the "hostess" saw me, she immediately told me "we close at 9:00". Okay but it was only 8:15. She had such a negaive attitude right from the get go! They made me feel so rushed, I had not even taken a chair at the Sushi bar, and they wanted to know what I wanted to drink and order to eat; they had not even given me a menu yet! The Sushi Chef realized that this was not going well, and tried his best to strike up a conversation, but the hostess continued to be rude rushing around, acting VERY ANGRY. When I tired to talk to the Sushi Chef about their fish, she would just yell out "no", "yes" to move things along. I finally asked if SHE was the Sushi Chef! Then there were no utensils, cop sticks or napkins or water , NOTHING! I played along as well as I could to keep peace. But at the end of the day, I was rushed, treated poorly, the food was mediocre and the service, guess, AWFUL! Hence a 10% tip to the Sushi Chef and NOTHING for their ignorant hostesss! They had me out of the door by 8:50, closed up and dressed to go. Skip this dump!