“$25 a pound cheese... if they deign to serve you.”

The Concord Cheese Shop
Ranked #3 of 48 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: International
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
boston
“$25 a pound cheese... if they deign to serve you.”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

As a strong believer in buying local, I started patronizing this shop when we moved to Concord. When they feel like it, their service can be good and you can sample many of the cheeses. Other times it would be charitable to say they are indifferent. On my last visit, and it may literally be my last, I got to wait over ten minutes for service while five employees milled about.

When I came in, there were two clerks behind the cheese counter. One was busy with a paying customer. The other spent five minutes with a customer who bought nothing, and then walked away to make a telephone call rather than wait on me. Another clerk spent her time filling a cooler with sodas. A third clerk came from the back, walked several times behind the cheese counter, ignoring me each time. The clerk serving the customer several times asked for someone to come help me and he was ignored. Only when several other customers were waiting as well did a fourth clerk think it was worth coming to serve us. It was ten minutes before someone finally deigned to serve me, as the soda girl finally put sodas down..

The moral of the story is that if they don't care about my business, then neither do I. I will be buying my cheese elsewhere.

• Visited April 2012
2 Thank thereyougo

Carlisle, Massachusetts
“No seating, but a great split deli counter and extensive cheese counter”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

You can sample exotic cheeses and patés, and write a record of you favorites, which they keep on file. Great fresh cornichons and a variety of local bakery breads. The deli counter makes sandwiches to order. An extensive wine section, with a large section of teas, pastas, mustards, and cookies/chocolates.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank LDSPd
Boston
“Great assortment”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

This might be the best place to grab lunch in Concord. Unfortunately there are only a few small tables and you have to wait for the warmer new england months to have a picnic outside. There's a great wine selection along with their fabulous cheeses and pates and the staff are most generous about letting the customers try whatever they like. There is also a small deli that serves great food including a Friday night dinner for two including a wine selection. I wish they would figure out a way to sell this for one person since many town folk are single and would certainly be interested. It's amazing to me how many great little treats they can pack into such a small space.

• Visited November 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
“Veggie Jamies Garden sandwich and a hunk of goat cheese to go...”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Just the coolest little place in Concord. They have award wining cheese (unbelievable assortment). They know their cheese! This is the type of place you can pick up the perfect picnic basket supplies, homemade seasonal sandwiches, salads, desserts, wine, cheese and hard to find gourmet ingredients. I love getting a sandwich and finding a place to sit to people watch.

• Visited August 2011