“Appetizer and dessert great, but entree not so much”
Review of 80 Thoreau

80 Thoreau
Reserve with OpenTable
80 Thoreau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Thoreau and Sudbury
Transit: Take the Commuter Rail to Concord on the Fitchburg Line. 80 Thoreau is located on the 2nd Floor of the Concord Depot.
Description: 80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.
Nassau, New Providence Island
“Appetizer and dessert great, but entree not so much”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

This was our first time at 80 Thoreau. Finding it was a bit of a hunt, since the sign is just a brass plate at a door that is in the middle of a connected string of stores and their doors. We could see the diners through the second floor windows that face the parking lot, but there was no sign visible from the lot or the street. Once we made our way in, we were a bit taken aback by the crowd of closely situated tables and the noise level. Then we were taken to the worst table in the entire restaurant, although there were other tables for two that were available. I refused that spot, and we were given a slightly better table. This happened to me once many years ago at Felidia in NYC (Lidia Bastianich's restaurant), and I have neither forgiven nor forgotten, since there were MANY vacant tables there. So, now on to the meal at 80 Thoreau. The smoked and toasted gnocchi appetizer was excellent, as was the honey apricot mousse for dessert. However, both my husband's and my entrees were oversalted (tagliatelle and bass respectively), and the bass was also too fishy for my taste. I think the server must have seen my face when I took the first bite, because she immediately offered to return the dish to the kitchen and get me something else. I declined, because some parts of the bass were less salty and could be "rinsed" in the lovely tomato broth that accompanied the dish. (My husband elected to leave a good portion of his pasta untouched.) So, at the end of our meal, the server told us that the bass would be comped, which was a very nice gesture. I might give this restaurant another chance based on the quality and creativity of the appetizer and dessert, but only if I could reserve a good table and be able to get the amount of salt reduced.

• Visited August 2014

Hudson, Massachusetts
“Wowed me a second time. I must return again and again...”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

But NOT so fast!!!! They THINK they are perfect... They ARENT. THEY DON'T ORIGAMI the napkins, so THERE. Take that! And once you get past that and you drift away upon the first sip of a PERFECT Manhattan, you realize WHY you are here. And it has nothing to do with the napkins...

Flawless service. Immaculately clean. Food is spectacular - every course is EXTREMELY well executed - start to finish. And for the faint of wallet, they have an approachable "under $15" bar dishes that include a burger, fish, meat, or vegetarian. We came back with friends. THEY made the reservation. The staff remembered where WE SAT IN 2011!!!! GET OUT OF TOWN. You have to love this place. You will leave smitten.

• Visited August 2014
2 Thank Rita V
Wayland, Massachusetts
“Like two great spots in one......”
Reviewed July 30, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Having eaten at 80 Thoreau many times, and reviewed it previously, we're adding a review of its bar and bar menu. Pleased to report that this part of the restaurant is also wonderful. We dropped in on a whim last Saturday night.Tables in the main restaurant were booked, but the bar is first-come-first served, and we were able to be seated immediately. We started with the best Mojitos we've had in a long time. We decided to try the bar menu, since we had heard good things about it. My wife raved about the duck rillettes, and we also enjoyed the fried pickles (!). The entrée selection is limited (2) dishes (although full restaurant menu is also available), so selection was easy. We had a Thoreau Burger and also Grilled Bluefish. Both were excellent, and perfectly cooked. We finished with superb house-made ice cream (Mint Julep!) and sorbet (Cucumber!). The latter, especially, was remarkable, sort of a revelation, very clean and elegant, with multiple layers of flavor. Service was excellent: friendly, prompt, professional, and helpful. We thought that the noise level was ok, even when the bar mostly filled up. Overall, a really excellent dining experience; our only problem now will be deciding which part of the restaurant (and which menu) we prefer....

1 Thank Maurice H
Columbus
“Incredibly good”
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

I recently had one of the best meals I think I've had in my entire life at 80 Thoreau. While there is no effort on the part of the restaurant to provide a unique, or elegant atmosphere for the meal, the service and food are some of the best that I've ever had. The appetizers and entrées are not highly priced, when compared to other restaurants of this quality. The only negative note that I can think of would be the cost of cocktails which seem to be somewhat exorbitant. Our meal capped a perfect day of having visited Old Orchard House Walden Pond. Anyone in the greater Boston area should consider at least one evening at 80Thoreau. It is well worth the drive.

2 Thank travelersColumbus
Tampa, Florida
“Outstanding food”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

I eat out constantly (too often, if truth be told), and this rates among the highest tier experience I have had. Everything we ordered was outstanding. Service was good, though kitchen a little slow on a busy night. Great wines by the class. Highly recommend the gnocchi appetizer!