“Simply superb!”
Review of 80 Thoreau

80 Thoreau
Reserve with OpenTable
80 Thoreau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 51 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Thoreau and Sudbury
Transit: Take the Commuter Rail to Concord on the Fitchburg Line. 80 Thoreau is located on the 2nd Floor of the Concord Depot.
Description: 80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We enjoy 80 Thoreau each and every time that we go! This year, we joined the restaurant's amazing 9pm New Years' Eve sitting--the food exceeded all expectations! Tonight, again, we were throughly happy with the terrine appetizer, the winter soup and all three main courses--the sole/lobster combination, the duck and the infamous chicken (which I order at least once every four visits). The special warm dessert was favorite of the table, and for ice cream lovers, consider the egg nog offering! We always ask Ian or Vincent to help us with wine selections, and we are always thrilled by new discoveries and old favorites. 80 Thoreau is like family to us!

We recently traveled to California for food and wine--yet, we return to Concord to tell you that our meals at 80 Thoreau are CONSISTENTLY special. Even in Carmel, California, we were hard pressed to find consistency in food at ANY price, despite the excellent wine lists. 80 Thoreau accommodates so many different tastes and needs too, including the small particulars of my 87- year - old father and 90 - year - old mother.

Thank you 80 Thoreau for making a big difference to our lives!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The evening began with my quiet realization that i forgot (as usual) to bring reading glasses. As I asked my hubby to read off the cocktail list to me, our server asked if i would like to borrow a pair of glasses and proceeded to serve me tray with a choice of different styles. That was nice...an unexpected accommodation. The cocktails were amazing. I had the La Louche...I love La Louche...the food was great; beet-apple salad, Nantucket scallops -freshest I've ever tasted, and the portion size was perfect (not too big) which allowed fro us to partake in dessert (which we normally don't have room for) I felt like we were treated so well throughout the evening, that it made the experience so memorable. If I'm back in the area, I will surely return. My one criticism isn't really...as one other mentioned one or two more items on the menu would make it all the more wonderful. Small menus are a good thing-the quality remains high and I appreciate that. Thank you.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We are fussy diners. In fact, I think I am often unrealistic in my expectations. So usually when we have the inevitable critique on the way home, it is not pretty. We actually expect everything to be perfect - in our opinion.

80 Thoreau was close to perfect last night. The greeting: warm, gracious. As we meandered to our table, the staff was smiling and welcoming us. The table was a booth - we love booths. They are comfy and you can usually hear each other without shouting. It was located near the kitchen/bar - fun to watch the action. And this is a white table cloth booth where crumbs are swept and an owner refolds your napkin while you are washing your hands.

Ambiance when the tab is this high had better be impressive. It is. The lighting throughout is gentlely sufficient. The restaurant was busy, but the acoustics were very good. The total effect is impressive. Add to that a sense that there is single focus by the entire staff on what is most important: you.

I received a perfectly constructed martini. The wines were lovely. The venison appetizer was a delight. Our entree selections were delivered at a perfect pace. A pork chop, lasagna, rare tuna and a skate wing were all excellent. The sides involved were well thought out and very, very tasty. Kudos to the bartender, chef and cooks.

After many years of watching businesses, large and small, make a mess by forgetting the customer, it is such a pleasure to watch a crew come together with such a focus on a truly fine dining experience. Best we have had in the last year or two. If one is looking to impress friends or a mate, bring them to this train station.

Because I know the owners must be listeners, I'll offer a suggestion or two. Your wine list is heavenly. But you would attract more frequent dining with a few bottles more modestly priced. And on that subject, perhaps you might consider adding just two more entrees to the menu: another fresh fish, another beef or lamb, perhaps.

2  Thank billy407
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Googled a spot in Concord and 80 Thoreau came up.....thank you Google! Have to enter an unobtrusive building and go up the stairs to the second floor....confusing at first but a totally awesome restaurant is on that second floor and well worth the short climb. No longer recall the dishes we ordered that first time as we are out and about often, but we liked it well enough to select it as our special occasion spot on New Year's Eve. It did NOT disappoint! We had a six course tasting menu, plus special treats from chef, that would satisfy the fussiest gourmand....service, despite a packed house and at least one large party, was impeccable! The staff provided champagne and favors at midnight and did an incredible job of socializing with guests as though it was where they most wanted to be for NYE!!! Kudos! Don't pass up an opportunity to visit 80 Thoreau....it rivals the top rated, most raved about Boston spots!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have been here four times in 2013. Food and service have been superb each time. A friendly, casual atmosphere, elegant service and spectacular food. We have sat at the bar, at a quiet table and at the chef's kitchen. Wonderful every time. Wine list is terrific and the array of appetizers, entrees and deserts is second to none. Can't say enough.