“New Year's Eve 2013”
Review of 80 Thoreau

80 Thoreau
Reserve with OpenTable
80 Thoreau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 50 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Thoreau and Sudbury
Transit: Take the Commuter Rail to Concord on the Fitchburg Line. 80 Thoreau is located on the 2nd Floor of the Concord Depot.
Description: 80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Googled a spot in Concord and 80 Thoreau came up.....thank you Google! Have to enter an unobtrusive building and go up the stairs to the second floor....confusing at first but a totally awesome restaurant is on that second floor and well worth the short climb. No longer recall the dishes we ordered that first time as we are out and about often, but we liked it well enough to select it as our special occasion spot on New Year's Eve. It did NOT disappoint! We had a six course tasting menu, plus special treats from chef, that would satisfy the fussiest gourmand....service, despite a packed house and at least one large party, was impeccable! The staff provided champagne and favors at midnight and did an incredible job of socializing with guests as though it was where they most wanted to be for NYE!!! Kudos! Don't pass up an opportunity to visit 80 Thoreau....it rivals the top rated, most raved about Boston spots!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We have been here four times in 2013. Food and service have been superb each time. A friendly, casual atmosphere, elegant service and spectacular food. We have sat at the bar, at a quiet table and at the chef's kitchen. Wonderful every time. Wine list is terrific and the array of appetizers, entrees and deserts is second to none. Can't say enough.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

One thing you expect from a high-priced restaurant is basic food safety. Unfortunately, 80 Thoreau's food literally made us extremely sick. They served fish out of season and it was a bad choice. The owner was contacted directly and was very unhelpful.

I'd suggest trying the new restaurant on Walden Street or heading in towards Boston for food that will not get you ill..

2  Thank RollingStone2
Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have to say that our visit to 80 Thoreau was above expectations. Friendly restaurant personnel from the greeters to the manager; amazing food, nice wine selection and scrumptious deserts – we were very happy with our visit and look forward to going back soon.

Being a special dinner that was being planned I did take the time to read various reviews, and having many favorable ones I reserved a table at 80 Thoreau. The restaurant has ample off street parking as well as on street if during busy times. If you are familiar with Concord, this building use to be the old Depot and is situated next to the Concord Commuter Rail stop. We climbed the stairs to a warm and inviting atmosphere, pretty wood floors and tastefully decorated. For those who need, this restaurant is handicap accessible; I believe I also saw a chairlift. We were greeted by two friendly hostesses and quickly brought to our table. We were taken past the bar area into the back seating area near the kitchen. I made our reservations through OpenTable, and on my account I have a few preferences i.e. window seating - I was pleasantly surprised that we were sat by the windows. The room was quite warm when we arrived because it was up against the kitchen, which I was at first concerned about but it was never an issue and quite comfortable throughout the meal. Tastefully appointed tables with white linens; cozy space yes overlooking the parking lot but hey, it was a window :). It was a smallish room but the volume of people’s conversations were not overwhelming and hearing your own table’s conversation was not a struggle or need to raise voices. Our waiter greeted us with a smile, noticing we were looking at the wine menu and asked if we needed assistance choosing a wine. After asking our preferences, he suggested a bottle and we agreed to try it. He also knew this particular bottle was best after decanting, again another subtle touch I appreciated. I am glad we took his suggestion, it was an amazing bottle – we had two it was that good. Another preference I had noted, was one of our party was allergic to shrimp and the waiter did bring this up wanted to know which person had the allergy – love their attention to detail. Dinner, the menu is very small but do not let that deter you - the dishes are decadent. I had the pumpkin custard to start which was warm with some greens that were dressed with a tangy dressing I wish I could recreate at home. My dinner, the Grilled & Braised Beef with Cauliflower, mustard, wasabina - was cooked perfectly to what I ordered and flavorful from the star of the dish to the sides… amazing. My guest had the Pan Roasted Quails and he enjoyed everything on his plate, joking that he wished the quails were bigger because it was that good he wanted more. Our waiter was a delight, friendly, and very attentive but not too much so to be bothersome. Knowledgeable of the menu and wine pairing, never did I have an empty water or wine glass; empty plates did not stay long in sight etc. You also can see a few of the managers walking around throughout the evening checking on guests as well; one stopped at our table briefly making sure our stay was going well. This is an above average priced menu and worth every penny. For dress, I feel you can go business casual to Sunday best; I did not see anyone in more casual attire than that for dinner. Reservations recommended. Overall very happy with this gem, and look forward to going back soon. Thank you 80 Thoreau!

1  Thank BaZingGa
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is one of the best restaurants in the western suburbs of Boston. Not only is the food very good. the ambience is upbeat, the service is center city quality and the same goes for the bartending.

On a recent visit, our party enjoyed a braised beef entree, an impressively light vegetarian lasagna and a brilliantly prepared pork chop. The restaurant sources from many local, organic farms, the names of which are posted. The menu changes seasonally: not currently available but afavorite last winter was the wild boar papardelle.

Following a rare but amusing mistake on our drinks order (a margarita ended up in a martini glass and vice versa), we were later impressed to find that none of our drink charges appeared on our bill. This restaurant really knows how to cultivate customer loyalty (and they keep good computer records of your patronage)!

The restaurant is on the second floor (there is an elevator) above a row of shops with easy parking nearby. There are three sections. The first section includes the bar (with seating and a bar menu) plus a section of tables. this can be noisy, especially on weekends. The second section includes a few booths adjacent to the open kitchen (our favorite area to dine). The third section includes traditional table settings, including four tables adjacent to a window.