“Fantastic -- and fantastically expensive”
Review of 80 Thoreau

80 Thoreau
Reserve with OpenTable
80 Thoreau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Thoreau and Sudbury
Transit: Take the Commuter Rail to Concord on the Fitchburg Line. 80 Thoreau is located on the 2nd Floor of the Concord Depot.
Description: 80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We met up with friends at 80 Thoreau to celebrate my husband's birthday. We weren't able to make reservations--even though it was a Wednesday, the place was packed. We sat at the bar, which I prefer anyway. This is a beautifully appointed restaurant with an excellent fine-dining menu. Everything was incredibly delicious--from the cheese platter, to the bluefish pate, to the tagliatelle entrees some of us had. Service was impeccable. The decaf capuccino after dinner tasted like the ones I used to get when I lived in Rome--which is a rarity.
This a very expensive place to dine though.....my glass of wine was $13. My husband's Berkshire large size beer was $11. Those prices edge into the land of the absurd; I am not sure why they have to be so high, but then again, we and tons of other people seem willing to pay. I am not sure what effect this has on how often people come back to 80 Thoreau, however--these price points will definitely stop us from coming back regularly. The appetizers were on average $5-7 more than you'd pay elsewhere, as were the entrees.
That said, the meal was superior and the experience very pleasant. This would be our go-to place (we like to go out about once a week) if it weren't so expensive. We will definitely come back for special occasions though.

There are newer reviews for 80 Thoreau

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This place is tucked away on the second floor at the train station depot in Concord. It's high end - great menu, wine list, and bar. The service was great - for a special occasion outside of Boston, I highly recommend it. For an appetizer, I had Tune Crudo and had the Sirloin for entree. The interior feel is cozy with a few of the trains passing by and a well designed interior that is rustic and has an open kitchen view. Service was pleasant and attentive.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were three and had 4 appetizers and 2 mains and dessert. The green pea custard is superb, the soft shell crab excellent crispy and not greasy at all. The scallops and copia fish mains were very good, ample portions, nicely served. The ambience is fine upstairs of the railway station at historic Concord ma. We are planning to go back again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Stopped by for the first time for post dinner drinks (and maybe dessert) after dining at Aka in Lincoln earlier. Although the place doesn't have great curb appeal it is very nice once inside. Very good first impression. We sat at the bar (maybe 10-12 seats) and ordered some drinks from a very knowledgeable senior bartender. He was very good and you could tell from some other drinks that he was a real craftsman.

After reviewing the dessert and bar bites we ordered the gougeres and a strawberry two-ways dessert. My wife really liked the dessert but the gougeres were cool. I asked the other bartender if that was normal and he said they are, "served at room temperature since that way you really could taste the cheese." OK, these were not served at room temperature and I felt like they were in a cooler and who really serves gougeres at room temp? Whenever in DC I make my way to Central Michel Richard for the best gougeres in town and they are always warm and tasty. My only other minor nit would be the limited bar, the space seems like it could hold more but for instance they don't have Southern Comfort.

We will be back since there is really a lack of good dinning in Concord and this place seems like it could be a real gem.

Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is without a doubt the best restaurant in Concord. A pleasant setting; ask for a table in the back room if you want a quieter dinner. There is a limited menu of 6-8 appetizers and entrees, but plenty to choose from. The portions are not overly large, but certainly sufficient. Everything is fresh, well-prepared, nicely presented, and delicious. I recommend the gnocchi appetizer and the hanger steak. Service was attentive. Parking is free and easy. A nice alternative to driving into Boston.

Been to 80 Thoreau? Share your experiences!