“Good for Concord”
Review of 80 Thoreau

80 Thoreau
Reserve with OpenTable
80 Thoreau is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 48 Restaurants in Concord
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Thoreau and Sudbury
Transit: Take the Commuter Rail to Concord on the Fitchburg Line. 80 Thoreau is located on the 2nd Floor of the Concord Depot.
Description: 80 Thoreau is a progressive fine dining restaurant set in the beautiful New England town of Concord, sourcing from local farms and offering genuine hospitality.
United States
“Good for Concord”
Reviewed August 21, 2012 via mobile

We were disappointed but given the poor options of restaurants in Concord - we will try again sometime. The food was just ok-neither if us would order the choices again.

Toronto, Canada
“The most inspiring menu that I have read in a Mass. restaurant in the last year”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I don't normally write a review after only one visit to a restaurant, but, 3 of us had such a great meal here, ordering quite a lot off the bar and main menus, that, here goes. And, yes, I gave the menus a lot of attention.

A friend who is hoping to move to Concord was showing us potential houses, and we decided to find a place to eat dinner there. We asked people on the street for recommendations and decided to go with the "fancy" option. Now, I consider 80 Thoreau to be the exception that proves my rule about Toronto and Vancouver being my top 2 cities to find fabulous food, just by randomly walking around. We would NEVER have found 80 Thoreau in the absence of research and recommendation. The restaurant is located in the upstairs of the Central Concord railway station. Earlier in the day, I was supposed to be meeting our friend at the station, and drove past it twice, failing to find it, even with directions. The restaurant was hopping on a Thursday night, because quite rightly, it has generated loads of good buzz. However, the charming reception staff found a table for us in the bar area (there are two areas - dining and bar sections - I suspect that the more formal dining area is quieter). Our friend had already come across the Tomatoes and Corn prix fixe menu, during her online search of Concord restaurants.

There is an emphasis on local, seasonal ingredients, and the portions are, thankfully, small for a USA restaurant. The prix fixe menu featured heirloom tomatoes and/or corn in each of 4 courses, and was superbly executed. My teenaged daughter ordered the burger off the bar menu and it was hearty enough for her appetite. She pronounced it, and the fries, delicious. I ordered a series of hors d'oeuvres. Duck pate, grilled gnocchi (I am on a gnocchi roll, recently), a rabbit rillette, and gougeres. They were all on par with what I have eaten in numerous excellent, French-themed restos in Europe and Canada, or cooked myself. Where the chef really shone, was in his (or her) desserts - combos of house made sorbets, ice creams and berries - which were right on trend, in the case of one of the desserts featuring cantaloupe and cucumber balls.

We LOVED it all. The service was attentive and professional. In fact, the only other restaurant that I have been in recently, where the service was better, was Hibiscus, a Michelin 2 star in London, UK. The only thing that I found disappointing was the small number of USA wines on the list, compared with European wines - I would have liked to have seen more from Washington and Oregon - my current favourite wine regions. But, the prices of the wines were very reasonable.

Now, if only they opened a branch in Toronto, in my neighbourhood.

Lincoln, Massachusetts
“Eat Here!”
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I am just back from my third glorious visit to 80 Thoreau.

There are so many wonderful things to love about this fine French/American restaurant. For starters, the chef uses locally grown produce, when available. The menu changes with the season so as to take advantage of this opportunity.

The food is amazing, both visually and aesthetically. Portions are perfect in as you finish your meal and don't feel stuffed. Selections are few yet ambitious, and so far, delicious - especially the duck confit. You can eat at the bar or a table.

The staff is very accommodating. One of our guests brought in a clipping of a mixed drink he saw in the NYT. We handed it to the waiter and a few minutes later he was back with a drink the resembled the photo. One of the owners is always mingling in the dining room checking in with guests and not above busing a table, if necessary.

Our waiter was very pleasant, as were the waitstaff I had in the past.

Booths and tables are comfortable, though the dining room can be loud, which is challenging for the hard of hearing.

This could be considered a special occasion destination, but I see no reason why you couldn't enjoy a meal here for no other reason than to celebrate life. If you are touring the American Revolution area, then make a point to stop here for some excellent fine dining. If you live in the area, as I do, then make a point to make a reservation and enjoy some trendy city dining in the suburbs.

Marrakech, Morocco
“Trendy modern American above Concord train station”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Inventive modern American cuisine featuring local fresh ingredients. For example, a simple tomato and cucumber salad had the only tomatoes with any taste I've had during this visit to New England. We sat at a bar table since we arrived without a reservation so I ordered the bluefish off of the bar menu as a main course. Perfectly cooked and the accompanying mustard sauce did not overwhelm the fish. As a native of New England who now lives abroad, I always enjoy bluefish when I can. My only suggestion is that it would be nice to add green vegetables to accompany the main courses rather than a starch -- both my husbands pork and my fish came with grains. Popular with well-heeled locals. Reservations a must.

Carlisle, Massachusetts
“Wonderful”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Fresh local ingredients put together superbly in uncommon ways. I always enjoy our visits here. Service at the bar is not always up to par; not enough service and a pillar creates a "blind" spot where they don't see you behind and to the RIGHT of it. Another BLIND table where you are overlooked is in the back/kitchen room, straight ahead as you come into the room by the windows. Ask for another table if you get this one.

Visited June 2012

Been to 80 Thoreau? Share your experiences!