“Just the sort of cafe I'm always looking for”

Main Streets Market & Cafe
Ranked #1 of 49 Restaurants in Concord
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 15, 2010

I went to this cafe with my boyfriend when we were passing through Concord on a road trip. I was really pleased because it's just the sort of place you want when you find yourself in a town you don't know - it's got a great, friendly atmosphere, plenty of choice and the food is really good. I was fantasising about their chilli and cornbread for months afterwards and eventually had to ask the owners for some hints as to the recipe. My boyfriend had a great beef sandwich. I just wish I lived near enough to become one of their regulars.

Reviewed July 14, 2009

Local haunt for fun evenings of down home music and food to match

Reviewed June 29, 2009

The place to meet for coffee/tea in Concord. Great ambiance, helpful service, tasty beverages and food. The vibe here is terrific.

Reviewed December 6, 2008

I think I must have visited a different restaurant to other reviewers! While this cafe is attractive, and in a great part of the town, it is rather overpriced and much of the time, overcrowded. Service is spotty and not always friendly. Food is just reasonable. I don't want to put a dampener on it for folks, but expectations should be realistic.

2  Thank Baxter11
Reviewed November 9, 2008

While driving through Concord, we stopped to walk around the town and get dinner. We found three restaurants in the center of town. After reviewing the menus of all three, we chose the Main Streets Café, which was sort of the middle choice in price and fanciness. The building is in one the historic storefronts, and this one was at one time a market.

The interior is decorated with various antiques, signs and pictures. It's not busy at all, but rather welcoming. We sat in the front, although I could see that there was seating in the back as well. We were greeted promptly and seated in the very front.

The main reason we chose the Main Streets for dinner was because of the menu choices. I was interested in the scallop and shrimp risotto, while my wife took to the Yankee pot roast. Within a few minutes of being seated, a waitress came to help us. We ordered our drinks first; I decided to try a Smuttynose Ale, which is brewed in Portsmouth, NH. We also ordered our meals.

Our drinks arrived a few minutes later, with a plate of cornbread. The ale was very good, and I will order it again when I see it. The cornbread was not what we expected. I am used to a drier, savory cornbread that almost crumbles was you bite into it. This cornbread had the consistency of cake, and it was somewhat sweet. It tasted fine, although it was not what I expected.

Our meals arrived a short time later. This was very fast service. The risotto was prepared in a creamy wine sauce with sautéed spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, garlic and parmesan cheese. It was well prepared, and the various ingredients stood out on their own, with enough shrimp and petit scallops to satisfy.

My wife's Yankee pot roast was served with garlic mashed potatoes and a vegetable medley of carrots and squash. The meat melts in your mouth. The potatoes were creamy with just enough of a chunky texture. They were made from red potatoes, by the way.

The hostesses who greeted us was friendly and warm. My only complaint is that she was not very helpful. She was friendly, but did not have any helpful advice when asked about menu choices. I asked about two of the beer choices and all she could tell me was that they were both popular. My wife asked about the pot roast, and again the reply was that it was popular.

While the waitress was not helpful, our food was excellent. The atmosphere was pleasing, and you would be comfortable whether you were wearing shorts and sandals or a suit. The Main Streets Café turned out to be an excellent impromptu choice for dinner. I don't know if I'll return to Concord anytime soon, but if I do I will stop at the Main Streets Café. (CS)