“Pleasant, well curated, worth the visit”
Review of Concord Museum

Go Boston Card
Ranked #6 of 33 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Concord Museum in historic Concord, Massachusetts houses one of the oldest and most treasured collections of Americana in the country.
Reviewed August 27, 2012

It's not the Smithsonian, but it is an excellent small town museum that provides a fascinating look at 18th century life in this community.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

After reading the reviews, I guess I expected more. This was my second trip to the area and as I did not get time to visit the museum the first time, I made this museum a priority. As a history buff, it was nice to see Emerson's library, Thoreau's cabin furnishings and the lantern and drawing of Paul Revere. But if you have a good idea of the history of the area, you won't need to look and read everything and it is a very small museum. I planned on two hours here and was out in less then one. I did enjoy talking history to one of the volunteers and I am still laughing about Annie Liebovitz photo of Pete Seeger's workshop. The admission seemed a little steep to me, $15 for an adult and a 12 year old. I would not bring children here, mine enjoys history but this is not a place for young children. There is free parking, but you'll never get a spot in the tiny lot next to the museum. Go in the morning and park across the road, just off the road near the Emerson house, there are only about six spaces there. If you are interested in Thoreau gift items and books, go to Walden Pond and visit the shop near the parking area.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

My idea of heaven: Caught the Annie Liebovitz exhibit upstairs and downstairs saw relics from Thoreau's cabin and the reconstructed study of Emerson, with all of his furnishings. The best of the new and old. Great Thoreau T-shirts in the bookstore, too!

1  Thank literarybuff
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This museum features some wonderful artifacts from the 18th and 19th centuries, including one of the lanterns that hung in the Old North Church to signal Paul Revere. They have a great collection of Colonial furniture that is very valuable as well as beautiful. They have completely recreated Ralph Waldo Emerson's study, which is a wonderful peek into the life of a great American philosopher. They also have traveling exhibits. There was a photography exhibit this summer that was very interesting. There is free parking, air conditioning, and helpful docents.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

We got more history and information than what we had expected. They also have deals with the other homes in the area. I wish we had known this in advance to have saved money on ticket prices. The guides are very helpful and knowledgeable.