“Great intro to Concord”

Go Boston Card
Ranked #6 of 31 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Concord Museum in historic Concord, Massachusetts houses one of the oldest and most treasured collections of Americana in the country.
MD
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Great intro to Concord”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

This was well worth it -- the guides in the galleries very friendly and informative and the exhibits fascinating. We loved the period rooms with the fabulous New England furniture, copies of wallpapers, floor coverings, etc. This is a must if you visit Concord.

Visited November 2011

Corning, NY
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Small but nice”
Reviewed November 8, 2011

A gem in AAA. It is small, time periods are scattered, but building is beautiful, and content nice.

Visited November 2011
Surrey
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Good starting place for Concord”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I am from England so I found this museum very helpful in giving me the background to the events of the revolution and the key characters. Similarly I found out about the famous literary names who apart from LM Alcott were also new to me. It is fairly small but enough for me.

Visited October 2011
Sacramento
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Why yes, it is my camera why do you ask?”
Reviewed July 21, 2011

Ok, normally I love museums but, I guess two things turned me off to the Museum. The first is we just had visited Orchard house and had a great time. I guess because of this I was kind of bored seeing static displays. The second problem was my wife had dropped me off and I had my camera. Apparently having a camera in this museum is a bad thing. I get the flash photography can ruin exhibits but, if I turn off the flash what's the big deal? I also felt hounded because I did have the camera and some of the comments the docents made were a bit grating. Look, I didn't take any pictures of the inside! The museum cost $10 and consists of two floors. I don't know if I had taken a wrong turn but I started out at the founding of the town and next about the authors of the town. I guess I was expecting a transition of the time periods as I walked about the museum and that didn't happen. I was also a little disappointed by the Civil war Exhibit, did it really need that many rooms when they didn't have that many exhibits? If you are in to colonial furniture this is the museum for you. Unfortunately I'm not. There is a small gift shop and a strict (very strict) policy about NO PHOTOGRAPHY.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank SacTown
Indianapolis
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Educational stop...”
Reviewed October 5, 2010

If you are visiting Concord and don't know much about the history of this town then this is a great first stop to get you up to speed. There is a short movie that will tell you about it's role in the beginning of the Revolutionary War and 19th-century philosophy/literature. Also, my wife (who doesn't care about Transcendentalism) really enjoyed all the old furniture and antiques that were on display. It is really much larger then you think just looking at it from the outside. The staff is also very pleasant and helpful.