“Movie first”

American History Tour: Cambridge, Lexington and Concord Day Trip from Boston
Ranked #3 of 33 things to do in Concord
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Immortalized by Louisa May Alcott in the beloved classic, Little Women, Orchard House (c. 1690) is best known for being where the groundbreaking novel was written and set in 1868. One of the oldest, most authentically-preserved historic sites in the country, Orchard House has, for over a century, provided inspirational accounts of the Alcott family’s contributions to the fields of literature, education, philosophy, the arts, and social justice through award-winning guided tours, unique educational programs for students of all ages, and lively living history events . The Concord School of Philosophy and a Museum Store are also on the premises.
Reviewed September 10, 2013

The 15 minute movie gave us a good background about the house and the Alcott's. The docent gave a thorough accounting of the house and everything in it. The property is a good size and there was lovely garden to the side of the house. Because of health issues, I was unable to go up the stairs, but in the front hall is a
3 ring binder with pictures and explanations of what I missed.

1  Thank Kristofur

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Okay, this was definitely my wife's idea. I'd never even read Little Women. But I must say that I enjoyed visiting Orchard House. The tour guide and the young lady in the gift shop were both very friendly and personable. The house is beautiful, and the information on the tour was very interesting -- I actually bought the book-on-tape and listened to it with my wife in the car. I enjoyed Orchard House so much, I even offered to take my wife back for another tour the next day. So guys, man up and do it. You'll have a good time.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

After many years of driving by Orchard House, I finally visited and I was pleasantly surprised. There are guided tours all day. Our guide seemed very young and I was initially worried because she seemed to be rushing through a memorized presentation, but as the tour progressed, it turned out that she was extremely knowledgeable and able to answer any question about the Alcotts or any item in the house in great detail. So much for jumping to conclusions. One thing that distinguishes Orchard House from a lot of houses of this era is that the vast majority of items in the house were actually there when the Alcotts were in residence. Most of the art was painted by Luisa's sister. There was a girl about 9 or 10 years old on the tour who was absolutely enthralled and clearly a big fan of Little Women. She may have been the target audience, but everyone on the tour was impressed by this fascinating family and its home.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

As we visit the literary sites of New England, we meet more and more women like Louisa May Alcott who were allowed to be independent and to support their families - rather than the other way around.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This house is a great piece of history. The contents of the house are all original to the family of LMA. The room in which they show a television program of Louisa's live was really small and cramped, but I don't know how they could improve that. There's only so much room in those old houses. Our guide was a young woman with a very high pitched voice, and it was difficult to understand her sometimes. All in all, it's a great part of history and it's well worth the admission price.

Been to Orchard House? Share your experiences!