“Excellent National Park Restaurant”
Review of Metate Room

Metate Room
Cuisines: American, Native American
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner
Description: Mesa Verde Metate Room Restaurant received "Award of Culinary Excellence" from the American Culinary Federation Colorado Chefs Association in the area of sustainable cuisine. Colorful Native American artwork surrounds you as you enjoy our award winning, contemporary menu inspired by regional heritage foods and flavorings. We do take reservations within 24 hours of your stay. Walk-ins are welcome based on business, however reservations are strongly recommended.
Reviewed June 5, 2013

When we booked a stay at the Far View Lodge, I never expected to find a restaurant of this quality and caliber. The restaurant sports a beautiful view from a multi-windowed wall. We enjoyed watching the wildlife while waiting to be served. The interior atmosphere is beautiful, with well spaced tables and attentive service. The prices are what one can expect at a nice restaurant. A full bar is available for drinks and the wine list offers selections from many areas including Colorado local wines. The food is amazing. The portions are quite large and most dishes come with sides. Our waiter happily allowed us to share a salad, which provided a sufficient amount for each of us. We truly enjoyed the apple and greens salad and ordered it again on our second night. The entrees were delicious, and we enjoyed the Blue Corn and Pine Nut Dusted Trout, the Elk Shepard's Pie, the Masa Chicken Asadero, and the amazing Beef Tender Medallions. The dessert tray was far too tempting. We shared a wonderful Prickly Pear Crème Brulee one evening, something we could never find at home. We truly enjoyed this restaurant.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

The menu had some unique choices. Portions were very small and as a result dinner became expensive. Service was excellent as well as the atmosphere and view. I was expecting more from a restaurant that has a captured audience and a reputation of fine dining. I was disappointed.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Although the menu looked great, the food was just mediocre. The black bean hummus & the focaccia were very salty. The stuffed chicken was bland, although I did enjoy the chili mashed potatoes. The grilled chicken was also very salty. The carrot cake looked yummy & was generously coated with walnuts, but they were salted, which tasted weird to me. The chocolate cake was very dry. The restaurant is very nicely decorated, the chairs comfy & the view outstanding. Also, the service was excellent. I just think we spent a lot of money for food that was not worth the price.

1  Thank Joan R
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Food was wonderful, service was among the best, a wonderful experience for all of us. Made my sons birthday so special.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

My husband and I have dined at a number of national park lodges, and the Metate Room was among the very best. The menu features many dishes with a creative southwestern twist, and Colorado wines and beers are offered. My husband enjoyed his blue corn encrusted trout, but the hit for both of us was my crimini-smothered chicken. Large windows throughout the room enable everyone to enjoy the view. During our early May visit no reservations were required.

On our second night in the park we ate in the lounge and ordered from the bar menu. I started with their signature Manhattan cocktail made with a local bourbon, which was expensive but delicious. We filled up on quesadillas and flatbread pizza. Like the main restaurant, the lounge features huge windows but a more intimate setting.

Service on both nights was friendly and helpful. Even if you're not staying at Far View Lodge, the Metate Room restaurant or lounge is a great spot to end your day.