“Great Tour, Interesting Dwelling”
Review of Balcony House

Balcony House
Book In Advance
More Info
$149.00*
and up
Mesa Verde National Park Tour
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Balcony House had a different feel than the other dwellings; it seems built in a very defensive manner. It is a very interesting tour through it, complete with a 32 foot ladder climb and crawling through a tunnel. My wife and I enjoyed our tour. Tickets must be purchased at the visitor center; arrive early for best choice of times.

3  Thank _0mkq0_

Reviewed September 2, 2010

A great tour. We really enjoyed the tour. Presentation was really interesting.
We also climbed the ladders and the wall on the way out.

Kids really loved this tour, more than Cliff House tour. They thought this tour was more exciting and you participated a lot more.

Reviewed August 3, 2010

Balcony House is just a lot of fun. The views into the valley below it are pretty spectacular and seeing these stone dwellings built 700-800 years ago using only stone tools in such a forbidding location is impressive. I'm usually not one who enjoys having to follow a guide on any trip, but the ranger who conducted our tour was amazing. The story he told about the rise and fall of the Puebloans and how their history tied into their architecture really added a lot of value to the trip. I only expected our ranger to be a baby-sitter, since these ruins are so fragile, but his narration was an integral part of the trip.

2  Thank SpursFan_17
Reviewed July 8, 2010

My family and I just got back from a trip touring the American southwest. We stayed at Mesa Verde for one night and took two guided tours - Balcony House and Cliff Palace. Without a question, Balcony House was the best! The tours are smaller than those at Cliff Palace and your get a very intimate experience. I was a little concerned about fitting through the tunnel since I'm a bit of a larger woman, but I twisted my hips in the beginning and had no problems. Actually, the tunnel gets a bit wider and taller as you go through so the worst part is right in the beginning. There's a sample tunnel at the Visitor Center to try out if you aren't sure you'll fit. As for the tunnel itself, I thought it would be a bit claustophobic, but it wasn't at all. You zip through it quickly and having it get taller and wider as you go through helps a lot. As for the ladders, not a big deal at all. My family and I had been on far worse ones during our trip (I have a seven year old and ten year old who LOVED the tour and had no problems at all). I think the worst part was when you climb a ladder to get out of the canyon and have to walk this narrow little trail. There are chains to hold onto, but it's a bit psychologically nervewracking for the couple minutes you're on it. For this reason, I wouldn't take a child younger than 6/7 on the tour.

Cliff Palace is interesting as well, but you tour with a zillion people which sort of ruins the experience. You also see tours in front and behind you as you go through so you don't get the intimate experience that you get from Balcony House. They do offer evening tours for $10 which I think would be VERY worthwhile, and wish we had done.

6  Thank GwenP
Reviewed May 2, 2010

The tour was great. The sights were absaloutly stunning. The gift shop was allright (perfect for trinkets, not so much as souvineirs). The staff was very nice.
Over all, it was AMAZING. I had a wonderful experince of a liftime!