“Worth the ladder”

$149.00*
and up
Mesa Verde National Park Tour
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Very interesting thanks to Ranger Marianna. Very informative talk about the history and lifestyle of the inhabitants. Don't be scared by the long ladder and tunnel squeeze exit.

There are newer reviews for Balcony House

Reviewed August 27, 2013

While Cliff Palace is larger, Balcony House is thrilling because participants get to climb 30 feet ladders and crawl through narrow tunnels. We lucked out and got a fantastic ranger to guide us but even with a lousy ranger this place is just unbelievable.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This was my concern one month prior to our trip, and seconds before going thru the "test tunnel" and finally thru the real deal. I'm 6'3 255lbs. I could not find information about guys my size going thru this tour so I'm taking the liberty to write one! The test tunnel is located right behind the ticket counter. I just got down on hands and knees and gave it a go. I could feel the sides of the tunnel on my shoulders and hips but zipped right on thru. It was a relief. I did not want to be the hold up from being able to go with my wife and kids. The tour with P.T. was great. I enjoyed the history, scenery and the climb up & out (slow and steady). In my mind I knew the tunnel was always waiting for me though. When we approached, it actually looked smaller than the tester. Hands and knees was not going to cut it. So I pretty much kicked myself into a 4X4 mode. I went sideways thru the entrance and exit holes (in the middle you can right yourself). There is no graceful exit for anyone over 6ft I would imagine, but you are so happy you are out it really doesn't matter. The tester tunnel you get the benefit of a nice polished surface and your clothes slide. The rock surface is not as forgiving and it will tug at you, so you just gotta do it. It certainly can be done. Hope this helps the larger travelers out there.

16  Thank Brian U
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Balcony house was the best tour. Kids need to be able to handle a thirty foot ladder and small dark tunnels. My 7 year old thought it was great.

2  Thank Drew J
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Shockingly, my 79 year old active Mother wanted to do this tour with us!!! She freaked out zip lining in Whistler, BC but was determined to do this tour! And she did great, if the exiting ladders had been any longer we might have had a problem, but really terrific tour. Great guide and a fun change to have some adventure while seeing such impressively preserved sights! Highly recommend to anyone who is up for the challenge!!!

3  Thank whatagreatlife