“Mesa Verde Balcony House”
Review of Balcony House

Mesa Verde National Park Tour
Keller
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Mesa Verde Balcony House”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

I don't easily give 5 stars, but the Balcony House tour was truly memorable. We had one day at Mesa Verde and this was the highlight. This was our last stop on a tour of Southwestern national parks in 2011 that included the Grand Canyon, Zion, Great Basin, Arches, and here.

I can't say that Mesa Verde in general is in the same league as the Grand Canyon or Zion, but we really enjoyed it. Balcony House has some dizzying ladder climbs. Frankly I'm surprised they allow it, so I'd make the trip there now before the lawyers and insurance companies shut it down!

We were there with two 8-years olds and they scampered up the ladders and through the tunnels just fine. But do beware: Falling off the high ladder would be a serious mistake.

It's amazing to think that native American tribes actually lived in this place on a daily basis. It was life on the edge!

This is one of those stops that you and the kids will never forget. Nothing else like it that I know of.

We didn't camp overnight here because of the heat in June, but if I came in the fall, winter or spring I would have. It seemed like a nice spot for it.

Visited June 2012
2 Thank bmjKeller

Murrysville, Pennsylvania
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Don't look Down!!!!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Even though I have a fear of heights, I took this tour. SO glad I did. The beauty of this scared place is beyond compare. Or guide was knowledgeable,and shared both the history and the religious/historical significance of these wondrous caves. UP the 30 foot ladder was an experience that was mind blowing for me. I made it with encouragement from my partner/and other travelers! Just kept telling myself "you can do it! and....I did it! What a fun, crazy way to experience the wonders of the pueblo. I

3 Thank Rosemary V
Walkertown, North Carolina
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“the hubby to the guided walk and loved it”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

omg~couldn't do it myself; 32 ft ladder and thru a tunnel (say "claustrophobic!") but Hubby is none of those things and absolutely loved the experience; seeing the pueblo up close and learning the history of a people that possibly lived here as long as the 750's is just mind blowing

Visited August 2012
New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Really fun and informative tour.”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My partner has a pretty strong fear of heights, so she opted for a hike instead. I think it was a good decision for her. This tour does involved a lengthy decent down a series of step metal staircases, followed by the accent of 30 plus foot ladder.

At the end of this are the remarkably intact remains of a fascinating little community of some of the first Americans. Our well informed Ranger (Daniel?) led us on a educational tour of how it was all built, what their lives might have been like. To think all this was accomplished without heavy machines, power tools, or even metal of any kind is a wonder.

Great tour.

1 Thank bluecarguy
Cache Valley, UT
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Do it!”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

An amazingly interactive tour, which involves climbing log ladders, crawling through small tunnels, and traversing a sheer cliff face on hand-hewn stone steps. Very adventurous and fun!