“Dream of a lifetime!”

82 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Dream of a lifetime!”
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I don't know how young I was when I first became interested in the cliff-dwelling Indians, but it was a loooong time ago. Finally I had a chance to visit Mesa Verde and I wasn't disappointed. This was such an interesting trek!

After parking the car on a very hot sunny June day we noticed relatively young fit-looking adults huffing and puffing as they came up the trail and my first thought was oh-no! I also saw people using hiking poles. Being no longer very fit or young and also having lousy knees (they hurt more going downhill than up) I wondered whether I would be able to make the hike. I went back to the car and grabbed my hiking pole and a bottle of water and started down the trail with my grown son and his friend. I decided that it would not be a "walk in the park", but I thought that it was a chance I couldn't pass up. I had noticed that there was quite a bit of shade in the canyon and a number of benches along the trail. With patience and frequent stops to rest in the shade and use the benches, I made it with no problem.

And I was richly rewarded. It was so interessting to see the dwelling up close! The rangers were knowledgeable and friendly. A thoroughly enjoyable experience!

Visited June 2012

• Hungarian first
Honolulu, Hawaii
72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Wonderful tour, amazing preservation”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We had the fortune (in my opinion) to visit in mid-December. At that time of year, this is the only cliff dwelling visitors could tour. We were happy that our tour, one of only three for the entire day, consisted of less than ten people. With such a small group, and a boisterous and knowledgeable guide, the tour was absolutely worth the icy 20-mile drive in from civilization. Seeing the preserved structures was awe-inspiring and the guide's remarks were quite educational. The best part of the tour is descending into a subterranean room (kiva) and experiencing how ancestral Puebloans rode out the winter centuries ago. At the end of the tour, about one hour later, you return to the same place you started - the museum. The museum isn't particularly large, but it is well furnished and the dioramas are particularly interesting. The slope of the path our tour took wasn't too bad, though in icier conditions it might require a bit more time.

Visited December 2012
1 Thank AndyMK47
Hazlet
136 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 191 helpful votes
“Good introduction”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

In November, many attractions in Mesa Verde are closed for the season. Spruce Tree House remains open. After viewing the interesting film at the nearby museum, it is a short, but steep walk on a paved trail down to the site. A warning here - if you go down, you have to walk back up - some older folks were having trouble on the return trip. The site is small with limited access to the ruins - much of it is roped off, but it is still interesting. The ranger who is on-site will willingly answer any questions you may have about what you are experiencing. Before leaving the museum, purchase your tickets for the guided trip to Cliff Palace, a far more interesting and spectacular site.

Visited November 2012
Borrego Springs, California
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Getting Up Close to a Ruin”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

The ability to visit one of the cliff dwellings up close without a group tour and no ladders to climb was very appealing. There is a bit of a hike, but there weren't the crowds like at the more famous sites.

Visited October 2012
Walkertown, North Carolina
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“to imagine that people lived here 1200 or more yrs ago”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

hubby and I really enjoyed this trail; it is one of the largest and best preserved cliff dwellings we have seen on this trip

Visited August 2012