“Far from cliff dwellings, also there are bears” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Morefield Village Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mesa Verde National Park
Morefield Village Campground
McCook, Nebraska
“Far from cliff dwellings, also there are bears”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2014

We camped in a tent on the Yuni loop (site 31) in early June. You pay for your nights camping and then drive around and choose your own spot. The campground tent only sites were probably only 1/4 to 1/3 full when we arrived at 3:00 on a weekday. There were still about 8 sites with decent shade to choose from and many more in full sun. Site 31 is a pretty good location- evening shade and morning sun, close to a restroom and the trail that leads to the store and showers.

Pros: Everything is nicely clean and well kept. Sites are clearly labeled and it was very quiet. Nights get very cold. Showers are included in the camping price.

Cons: Campground is a good 45 minute drive through winding mountain roads from the cliff dwellings. The views are beautiful though. In the campground, the tents must be placed on gravel pads, and many of them are quite small. There is not a lot of space for children to run around, except in the road. All food must also be kept in your car or bear boxes, with good reason as there was a bear in the campground the night we stayed. I heard lots of teenaged girls scream and then I heard lots of banging on pots and pans and shouts of "BEAR!" As I walked over to toss some trash in a dumpster I asked if there was really a bear around, and another camper said yes and he had it on video. So, for me, it led to a restless night of sleep. I love wildlife around, but bears at night when I'm in a tent with my children make me nervous

The showers are...ok... They aren't well ventilated so there is some mold. Water flow isn't high, but they can get nice and hot. You have to wait about 30 seconds for temperature to change. It is nice that there is a long bench in each shower stall, which makes bathing multiple kids easier.

The pancake breakfast is cash only, so we couldn't eat there since we don't usually carry cash.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank NebraskaChick23

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2014

This is the best place to stay when visiting Mesa Verde NP. The campground is HUGE with several loops, one is tent only.
We stayed in the Ute Loop and it was perfect for our popup camper. The campground is clean and stays fairly quiet. The exception is the Tent-only loop which was rocking every night, we could hear them from our loop.
We never once saw our camp host. Quite odd, in my opinion.
The WiFi is very spotty and rarely were we able to get a good connection for more than 4 minutes. Even at the camp store, don't count on it.
The campground is almost 1 hour from both Mesas where you tour the ruins, so be sure to plan accordingly.
The showers were okay, nothing special so luckily they are free. Water was lukewarm at best.
Mule deer live in the campground, coming out at dawn and dusk to eat.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank RobininABQ
Mamhead
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Excellent campground _ we were in a small RV but the tent site looked lovely too. Camp host, Russell was very helpful, the site was quiet, staff at the store v friendly, showers clean, spacious and free (avoid 6, 2 and 3) and good speed (2Mb) free WiFi in the campground. We had the pancake breakfast- pancakes fine and good value but you pay extra for a really nasty sausage and for coffee so ends up as quite pricey (3 pancakes, coffee and sausage $9.50 but you could go back for extra pancakes!!).

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Tanzey K
Edwardsville, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have a small pop up camper. As at most campgrounds this puts me in with the RV's and not the tent campers. The staff when I checked in recommended I pick a site opposite those that had full hook ups. Full hook ups means the RV's aren't running generators at all hours. This proved to be an excellent recommendation. Sites are reasonably spaced and the hillside gives the effect of greater separation.

There is a separate loop for tent campers. Groups had another separate area.

The campground has Wifi. Reports are that it is quite spotty. Purely by accident I chose a site within 20' if the router and had great service. There is no cell service in the campground or in most of Mesa Verde except for a few overlooks where you can see Cortez.

The laundry is nice sized. The showers are adjacent to the general store and laundry and are free and untimed. Plenty of hot water. Restrooms were basic and reasonably clean (male scale). Typically a couple in each loop. Showers may be walking distance from the tent sites, most in RV loops drove.

Due to the nature of the trees on the mesa shade is pretty limited in the campground. A tarp for an awning was welcome.

While the campground is in the park it is about five miles from the park entrance and a good 30+ miles to any of the attractions on the curvy park roads. Planning your days and attraction reservation times is critical.

There is a senior pass discount for the basic sites, but not for the full hook up sites.

One of the unexpected joys of the campground was the night sky. There is almost no light pollution. The milky way was quite discernible and the night sky was quite spectacular.

Room Tip: Once you have your reservation sites themselves are first come - first served. If Wifi is important...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
8 Thank Washburns
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was a convenient place to stay while visiting Mesa Verde. We drove around a bit to find a shaded site. Some sites looked really small and we had two medium tents to pitch. In the end we found an very nice private, shady spot near the bathrooms. The place was clean and well kept. The showers were a little distance from the campground but close enough to walk. They were and were very well cleaned, hot and free. We had some noisy neighbors one night, and I was too tired to get up to ask them to respect the 10 pm quiet time. This camp ground is a busy one. My only complaint was that for what we paid there not only were no hand driers in the bathrooms but not even a cheap soap dispenser. Yes we bring our own but never every single time we run to the bathroom.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Mimi D
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

Conveniently located inside the park. Price was a little steep ($26/night) for a tent. Not many sites with shade. Ranger came by and said there was a bear in the campground, but of course we never saw it. Overall the park is amazing. Loved the cliff dwelling tours, and hiked Knight's Edge a couple of times looking at the views and for birds. It was very hot (mid August) which I can only blame Mother Nature for, but I would definitely put this high on your to-do list if you have not been there before.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank lantanaranch
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

First of all, the campground is very conveniently located to all the attractions one would want to see while visiting Mesa Verde. The campground is like many other National Park campgrounds, some good sites, some bad sites. A very nice amphitheater w/ ranger led programs in the evening is nearby as well.

My issue w/ Mesa Verde is the general lack of peace you experience as a camper. I stayed one night and I must have had 4 or 5 different Park employee's pull up on their loud ATV's to my site...to "check up on me". I don't go to a National Park to hear the sound of ATV's roaming around the campground till 10pm. If the staff needs to be that involved with the campers, maybe they should learn how to walk around the campground to alleviate the noise pollution.

$26 bucks a night to camp....absolutely ridiculous. Showers are free...for the price they certainly should be.

I camped at Black Canyon of the Gunnison the following night, paid $12 to camp, and it was quiet all night long...go figure.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
BEST WESTERN Turquoise Inn & Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Cortez
Retro Inn at Mesa Verde
Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez

Been to Morefield Village Campground? Share your experiences!