“The campground was nicer than the lodge!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Far View Lodge

Far View Lodge
California
“The campground was nicer than the lodge!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2009

On our road trip of national parks, my fiance and I planned to stay at Farview Lodge during our visit to Mesa Verde..After 8 hours of driving we were so excited to check into the lodge, expecting it to be one of the nicest places on our trip. Needless to say, we were extremely disappointed. We had to kick the bottom of our door in order for it to open, the shower door would not close, and the room wasn't even comparable to a Motel 6! It was not at all what was represented on the website and this is a serious public relations problem. We actually compared the picture on the website with our specific room because it was not at all alike. We decided to complain and to either ask for our money back or a free upgrade to a Kiva room. However, when we complained the only thing the manager had to say was "you can leave then". She didn't ask what was wrong, or offer to make our stay more enjoyable. She even laughed when we told her about our room. There was an older couple in the lobby having the same issue. Luckily we got our money back and stayed the next two nights at the campground in the park, where we set up our tent in a downpour and thunder-storm. In the long run we were much more satisfied when we were soaking wet after setting up camp than we were with our hotel room.If you must stay at the lodge, pay the extra money for the Kiva room. As a side note: we stayed in a wonderful private cabin at the Old Faithful Lodge in Yellowstone for $40 cheaper per night.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beetlebabe17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (456)
Belgium,brussels
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2009

the lodge is a motel ...but in a national park which makes somehow the difference. Nice view even if you hear your neighboors in morning as in traditional motel. Basic room facilities but clean.

Convenient as it allows you to enjoy the park until closing without having to worry about driving 20 miles+ after and find a hotel. Very nice restaurant at the lodge if a bit pricy. The best food on our US trip - a funny mix between local cuisine with french plate presentation! . You have to drive down (2') for the breakfast as it is not offered at the lodge but at other facility by the visitor center (coupon allows you to pick whatever multiple which is a good trade off if you consider the price of each individual item (eg coffe, egg, bread...) if you would just walk in as a regular customer (would be more expensive)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

Far View Lodge - stayed in Kiva room: comfortable 2 queen beds & mini fridge. Rooms are basic but good for NP lodging. The views are outstanding. The Metate Dining room is very good. The cafeteria style Far View Visitors Center was also very good. We did a half day tour and toured Balconey House, museums and who made our tour very informative.Spruce Tree House behind Chapin Mesa Museum. We had lucj with cool weather for August but still neede dlots of water. I highly recommned half day tour which gives more in depth anthropological and archeological information - my kudos to Ranger Kevin Lloyd who made our tor wonderful. We so wild horses, bears (distance), stags and ground squirrels during our 2 night stay

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2009

Shabby (some broken) furnishings, dirty bathroom complete with mold in shower. Comes with mice and/or bugs and spiders at no extra charge. Two doors and neither one would lock from the inside. Very small room. The help there has heard it so many times they are sick of it. Rooms are barely fit for prisoners on conjugal visits. We were so disappointed it ruined the stay there. Going to stay two nights but only stayed one. Another couple that checked out the same time we did had the exact same story. I actually felt sorry for the girl checking us out. She was almost bored to tears. Stay in one of the towns within 20-30 miles. You will be so glad you did. The park is beautiful.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dan8685

Travelers are raving about these Mesa Verde National Park hotels

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

This hotel was disappointing, but I'd stay there again. It's all about location. The hotel is located 15 miles inside the Mesa Verde National Park. I wouldn't want to drive that winding road twice in one day (though it's lovely). Plus, the hotel's ideally located near the Visitor Center, restaurants and sites.

The front desk, when asked about view, will answer, "All our rooms have a view." Will, some views are much better than others, and the standard room faces away from the best landscapes. The room has no amenities, but that's not really what you need in Mesa Verde.

The bathroom with peeling vinyl flooring had an old shower stall (no bath), and it's so small, you can't open both the shower and the bathroom door at the same time. The cheap plywood was peeling off the door itself, as well. And when I turned on the shower, the fixture came off in my hand. No lie. I could hold it on enough to turn the water on and off, but c'mon.

I wasn't prepared for the lack of air-conditioning, and the room was uncomfortably hot in August. We couldn't leave the windows open because there aren't any screens. After getting rid of the three beetles we found in our room (who knows how many others there were), we tried to sleep. I couldn't get the room dark, though, because there's a weird window above the door that has mini blinds that don't close tight. So the outdoor light shined through all night.

So how can I give this place a decent rating? Our Mesa Verde experience overall was awesome! We arrived in the evening and rushed to the Visitor Center, where two very friendly rangers directed us to the Mesa Loop Trail. We drove that just before the sun set, and saw really interesting sites that prepared us for our tour the next day.

The main restaurant closes at 9:30. We rushed in there at 8:15, and had an hour wait for dinner. I was worried, being with two young boys not used to eating so late. But it was so worth it. My 9-yr-old remarked, unprompted, "The service is so good here." And my 6-yr-old declared it the best food of our week-long roadtrip. He had mac-n-cheese, which was better than the usual kid fare and came with a side of roasted vegetables that he actually enjoyed. They also loved their "Bear's Kiss" mocktails of fruit juices. My pasta dish -- with pinenuts, dried cherries and spinach -- was excellent as well.

The next morning, breakfast at the other Terrace restaurant wasn't so great. But the tour of Cliff Palace with Ranger Eli is what we'll remember. I went to get some ice later, but the ice machine was broken. However, on the way there, we saw two deer!

Checking out, I mentioned the lack of air conditioning, and was told that only the Kiva rooms have air. I informed the clerk about the broken shower, and she didn't seem surprised. I think she scribbled a note to maintenance, but made no comment or apology to me.

If we return, I'd be curious if the Kiva rooms are worth the extra cost. The standard rooms seem to be an ignored, overpriced, step above camping. But I didn't mention my complaints to the kids, and they didn't notice anything wrong. They loved every minute. The ruins, rangers and restaurant more than made up for what the hotel lacked.

I feel the Far View knows it's the only choice in the park and unfortunately takes advantage of that. It desperately needs upkeep and updating -- or they should charge much less.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

With friends, we booked two rooms at Far View Lodge for multiple nights.

We booked through MyMotels.com with no problems. Our friends used National Park Reservations (an independent firm, not part of the National Park Service). Their confirmation disagreed with their booking. It took them over five hours of phone wrangling to get the correct days and rate.

Both of our rooms were clean, but not well maintained. Worn furnishings, mold in showers, painted over dirt on baseboards, wood cracks, thin walls disclosing neighbor's conversations, and noisy heaters.

Our room had an unexpected guest on our final night, a mouse. When I reported this to the desk clerk, the response was "Oh, we hear that all the time." No offer to do anything about it.

As is typical when checking in, the desk clerk took an imprint of my credit card. When we checked out, I requested a copy of my bill. The desk clerk and manager refused to provide it. Since I did not book through National Park Reservations, their policy was not to furnish statements. They would not even reveal the charged amount. An on-line inquiry to my credit card account showed charges were as stated in my confirmation with MyMotels.com.

All rooms have balconies. Our friend's had an excellent view from the side of a cliff toward a stunning mesa. Our room overlooked weed patches and metal debris with the mesa in the far distance. No grounds care. Within a three minute walk, we had the same view as our friends.

In talking with other guests, I discovered rates paid varied from $115 to $179 per night. All rooms are essentially the same, so there is little justification for this variation.

This place only has one positive: location. For quality of accommodation and service, it is equivalent to old motels that charges $40 per night. Maybe the high price is for the unique experience of mice in one’s room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ghalamkar
White Plains, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2009

We broke our trip up and I am so glad we did. We spent 1 night in a Kiva room, left the park for Durango for 2 night , and then came back, to another Kiva room. If you opened the windows, bugs and flies came in, so I am glad we had air conditioning. Our room was small and had been re- decorated. Cute modern sink granite like back splash, cabinet under sink, mirror above sink, the only one in the room. This entire place is noisy either from the people next door, or outside your room, This is so common at National parks. It is necessary to stay in a Kiva room in the summer for the air conditioning because the screens dont prevent the bugs, I tried. The restaurant was ok but food selection is limited at the park.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
BEST WESTERN Turquoise Inn & Suites
Baymont Inn & Suites Cortez
Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
The White Eagle Inn & Family Lodge

Been to Far View Lodge? Share your experiences!