“We were quite happy”
Review of Far View Lodge

Far View Lodge
Reviewed June 15, 2009

We stayed in a Kiva room booked some months in advance. We had no problems with the booking although the lodge didn't seem full. We did not like the fact that there was an inter-connecting door with the next room through which you could hear people talking. Other than that there were no minuses. There was a beautiful view from the balcony. We had dinner in the Metate room and the food was delicious. The breakfast was adequate, you chose what you wanted and paid at the till. It was rather expensive for what was on offer. All in all we preferred to stay within the park for 1 night , see the sights the following day and then move on that evening.

Reviewed June 10, 2009

The Far View Lodge is run by Aramark. They have a lot of room for improvement starting with their on-line reservation process, which was laughably incompetent. That included a confirmation being sent to me for a different state and different dates. The staff person involved with that was not aware of an email promotion I had received and tried to tell me it wasn't valid even though it clearly was. (I had to send a copy to his supervisor)The front desk staff is obviously poorly trained and you will get different and sometimes conflicting information depending on who you talk to. We had two occasions where staff clearly lied to us. The smaller rooms are like cells. The good news is that the location is gorgeous and the food at both the Lodge and the Terrace is decent. Since this is the only place to stay in the park, it's the only game in town.

Reviewed June 9, 2009

The primary reason to stay at the Lodge inside the Park is because of the location -- it's located directly inside the Park. Driving from Cortez into the Park takes a surprisingly long time, so the location is a plus for those needing to optimize their time. The rustic/basic nature of the Lodge also lends somewhat to its charm.

However, that no-frills nature is also its downfall -- it felt like a budget hotel, but it's priced well above a budget hotel. For the money, you can/should still expect a few things:

1. Some degree of sound-proofing. You can hear just about everything from your neighbors.
2. Towels that aren't a) tiny or b) like sandpaper. Seriously: just because the rustic hotel is built like a 50 year old Army barrack doesn't mean it should have 50 year old Army surplus towels.
3. Anyone taller than about 5'8" would need to duck under the showerhead.

Another important consideration about the overall value of the hotel is the lack of dining options inside the Park. There are really only two choices: a cafeteria, and the "fine dining" restaurant. Both are operated by the same contracted company -- expect to pay premium prices even at the cafeteria. Even though the nightly rate at the Lodge was cheaper per night than the HIE in Cortez, the cost of inside-the-Park food more than made up for the savings.

If I could do it again, I'd stay in Cortez at a breakfast-included hotel, brown-bag a deli sandwich for lunch, spend the day in the Park, then have dinner in Cortez.

Lastly, note that long vehicles (RVs) and towed trailers can't reach the Lodge -- they are prohibited beyond the campgrounds inside the Park due to the tight curves along the mountainside road.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GMOTSL
Reviewed May 22, 2009

Rooms are small: 12 x 10 or so. Views are very big, and the location is good. The walls and ceiling are paper-thin, so try for an upstairs room in one of the lower (freestanding) blocks of rooms. The furniture in the rooms (not the lodge) is the cheap, rundown motel junk you see in $50/night rooms. Bed was bouncy. The bathroom had a tiny stall shower but was clean. No bar soap; only liquid. There is wifi in the lobby and lounge of the lodge, but nowhere else.

Would definitely not stay there again unless you just don't have any other options. Note on meals: The restaurant in the lodge was EXCELLENT (only open for dinner). $15-21 entrees. The buffet breakfast at the building across from the circular visitor center was cold and bad, but cheap. So here's the tip: Don't get a room room at the lodge that has breakfast included. It's cheaper to pay over there yourself.

Reviewed May 19, 2009

We've had experience with National Park lodges before, and this one was a wonderful surprise. Our Kiva room was comfortable, great bed, outstanding view. Bathroom was..ok. The water pressure wasn't so great, and the shower needs a couple of shelves, but so what? It works and it's clean. No TV, no cell service, no problem. We could get wi-fi in the lobby, which was useful. The drive up the mountain was quite a surprise, but a good one--I just wished we were driving my BMW instead of the rental SUV--would have been more fun on the switchbacks! If you're going to visit the Park, staying in Cortez and driving in would be way less fun than staying in the park.
The restaurant...ah, the restaurant. The food was delicious and interesting; we met the chef, and he had put quite a bit of thought into using traditional ingredients in new ways. The bison steak was great; my husband also had a special of elk one night that was excellent. Good wine list. The servers were from all over the world, they were well trained and very personable. The bartender was smart and funny and mixed a good drink. At 8000 ft altitude you have to be a little careful with the cocktails.....
We took the half-day bus tour, which had only 5 other people. Very worth it; the ranger giving the tour was knowledgable and told us things that we never would have known on our own. We are not usually tour people, but I would really recommend this one.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank emmajane7
Reviewed May 6, 2009

I know what to expect from Nat'l Park lodges. I read the Trip Advisor info. I also read the Park Service info. I wish I read a little deeper. First of all the Lodge. The price was high, but I knew that. There are no tvs. I knew that. When we were there there was only 1 restaurant open, a very high end restaurant. I didn't know that. Read the literature. It takes 45 min to 1 hour just to get from the entarnce to the visitor center or lodge. I thought I could cut the time in half- no way. The road is only 8 miles but the switchbacks and grades are unbeleivable. The Lodge is a major disappointment. The walls are so thin we heard every word from out neighbors. They also left their radio on the entire time they were out of the room until 10 pm. The Lodge is clean but really worn down. We loved being there at night, but the room was really overpriced and only fair. The restaurant's fare was delicous, but ate 2 days worth of our budget. It seems not all the facilities are open at this time of year. The Park itself was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. Would I stay again? Yes, but I'd be more prepared. They offer a bus tour. We did every tour we could on our own and glad we did. The park service has every brochure and trail guide you will need. They should be commended for what they do.

Reviewed February 13, 2009

No TV, No Internet, No Problem. We arrived in time to get on the bus for out tour of Mesa Verde, and checked in after the tour was over. The room was small but neat and clean. The small balcony had the most amazing view of the distant Chuska Mountains. It was one of the most calming and peaceful places we have stayed. After a great dinner, a great sleep. I will jump at our next opportunity to return.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank jfuji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mesa Verde National Park
Retro Inn at Mesa Verde
Hampton Inn Mesa Verde / Cortez
Baymont Inn & Suites Cortez
Best Western Turquoise Inn & Suites
Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
The White Eagle Inn & Family Lodge

Been to Far View Lodge? Share your experiences!