“Your neighbors will make the difference here”
Review of Far View Lodge

Far View Lodge
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I titled my review the way I did because the room walls are thin. Also, there is no air conditioning so you will likely have the windows open. You will hear almost everything. If you have good, great or just decent neighbors, it will be a good stay. If your neighbors are inconsiderate, it will affect your thoughts about the whole thing.

Aout the lodge itself. Yes, it is in need of updating. However, I haven't stayed at a National Park facility that WASN'T in need of updating. It offered great views, a superb location, all the basics you would need. It even offered wi-fi. We did not miss the TV nor did we miss the A/C. We truly didn't need it. Each room has a private balcony, which we used all evening. I am an avid birder and I birdwatched from the balcony and picked up several new species.

Would choose this again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Imzpickle
Write a ReviewReviews (1,842)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

We LOVED our stay at the Far View Lodge! We had changed our plans (due to extreme heat in Moab - 114 degrees) last minute and the staff graciously accomodated moving our stay a night earlier AND an upgrade to a Kiva room (to get air conditioning). The room was nicey decorated, comfortable, had a balcony with table and chairs - and a beautiful view! The fridge was great to keep our drinks and lunch meat cold. The space around the armoire was a little tight - but no biggie. Internet was a little spotty. What a treat to stay INSIDE the park and not have to drive back and forth. Be careful of the transition to the bathroom, it got our toes a few times! Our room was nicely decorated and very comfortable.

Room Tip: ask for an unobstructed view and an upper level room (some are 2 story and others are not) so you do...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was our first time staying in the area and from the reviews I was not really sure what I would arrive to. Check in was easy and the room was a wonderful surprise; it was clean, comfortable and the view was just spectacular. The bed was very comfortable and we had a very pleasant night sleep there in addition to a great morning with coffee on the balcony watching the sunrise over the park. Maybe a few nit-picky problems though, the shower was very, very low - I'm 5'8 and just about managed with a bit of bending, my partner is 6' and although it was quite amusing to see him struggling I'm not sure he enjoyed the experience too much. That said, we passed through Cortez and I'm certain we would not have been as happy staying anywhere else.

The lower mark really comes from the restaurant we ate at there - it was all a bit of a faff and the service was not really very good, we just wanted a nice simple meal and a quiet drink after a day of hiking. We were seated with no view in-between two families with young children, in a place that was fairly empty, the menu was so-so and our server really didn't want to leave us alone.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the top floor, we had no problems with noise.
1  Thank Gemma C
Reviewed July 1, 2013

If you're visting the park this is the sensible place to stop with the park literally on your doostep. The lcoation and views are very nice. The accommodation is very basic (think no frills no motel), bit it's clean and the bed is comfy. The room was noisy - paperthin walls and ceiling - I did wonder if big foot was in the room above us.

We got a package with breakfast, this is served in the cafeteria which isn't directly next to the lodge, 1 min drive or 5-10 min walk. Not sure whether I'd recommend as you need to have a large main to get value for the deal.

Room Tip: not a room that has a floor above.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Carline
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Mesa Verde is my favorite national park. I have been there three times, and this last time I thought it would be wonderful to stay at the Lodge and get the full park experience. Unfortunately, it was a big disappointment. The rooms were threadbare and beyond spartan. I don't care that there wasn't a TV, in fact that was a plus in my mind. But the fan was noisy, towels paper thin, and the coffee maker didn't work. And when I went to the front desk to ask where I could get a cup of coffee (not complain just ask a question), a rather arrogant guy behind the desk, holding a cup of coffee I might add, told me without so much as an apology that I had to wait a half hour before the visitor center a half mile down the road opened. The place lacked atmosphere and without that, it was just plain trashy. If the Lodge had been rock-bottom priced, I might be more sanguine. But at such high-end prices, one expects more. A lot more. I'll go back to Mesa Verde again, but I'll never stay at the Lodge. Cheaper and better accomodation with tons more and better dining otions not to mention atmosphere in Durango.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Nancy P
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Although the lodge is "dated" our room was comfortable and clean. The quiet surroundings and views of Mesa Verde National Park from the window and private balcony were exactly what we were hoping for. We stayed at the summer solstice which coincided with a full moon so the night views were equal to the daytime views. No A/C needed - the nights were cool. Slept with the window open and snuggled! Dinner at the Metate Room was excellent and all staff helpful, courteous and friendly.

Room Tip: The building immediately to the west of the lobby (we stayed in room 105) have a completely unobstuc...
Reviewed June 25, 2013

What a great stay! The beds were comfortable, the room clean, the view magnificent with many native wildflowers off the deck and expansive view. The rooms were fairly quiet, and due to cool nights we did not need air conditioning. Rooms had fridge and no microwave, but there was one in the lodge downstairs. We were very appreciative of the military rate. The dinners at the lodge were amazing and the chef and waiters were very kind in working around my food allergies. We chose to stay here because of close location to cliff dwellings and being able to enjoy dinner in the park and walking back to our room. Another plus, my husband enjoyed the game in the upstairs bar one night, while I enjoyed the ranger talk downstairs. The June morning walks near room were slowed down a bit, due to so many different native wildflowers to take pictures of! We stayed here three nights, making our park enjoyment such a plus by staying in the park.

Room Tip: Ask for view not obstructed. The lodge restaurant does obstruct view a little. I usually stay in p...
1  Thank SSK450
7 mi away
Baymont Inn & Suites Cortez
Holiday Inn Express Mesa Verde-Cortez
The White Eagle Inn & Family Lodge

Been to Far View Lodge? Share your experiences!