“Great food and location”

Restaurante El Penon
Ranked #10 of 93 Restaurants in Salobrena
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2018

Our first experience of this restaurant and very impressed, great value chiringuito in probably best location in Salobrena. we found the staff lovely and attentive, and we enjoy practicing our tourist level Spanish! We ordered two of the grilled fish platters(parillada) and they did take some time to arrive but hey we had tapas with our beers, enjoyed the stunning views and the food is freshly grilled not thrown in a deep fat fryer for two minutes. The platters were truly delicious fantastic varied selection of seafood, prawns, mussels, Dublin bay prawn, red mullet, Hake, sardines, octopus at €14 great value we had a couple of glasses of White wine Rueda with this, and followed up with a shared desert not even sure what it was, but recommended by waiter it was a green cheesecake( think it was pistachio and lime) served with a lime sorbet and this was the best desert I've ever eaten absolutely delicious and really good coffees, we were given two free chipitos shots of a desert wine. 46€ for everything best value lunch ever can't wait for next visit!! In fact going back tomorrow for just desert and coffees just got to have that desert again!! Before we leave.

Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

I have eaten here twice to see if there is any improvement or degradation in the quality of service and food from this establishment. Quite simply the food is good the service is terrible consistently

Reviewed September 20, 2018

Location is perfect just in front of the beacht, the food great and the staff very helpfull and very friendly. There was also entertainment ( Flamenco band with dansers).
I will certainly come back next year!

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I went here for dinner during a relatively quiet evening in September and left feeling very disappointed.
Firstly the good points : as everyone else has mentioned the location is wonderful. The staff were also very friendly and welcoming (but see below!)
The bad bits : the guy who served us did not speak much English, which I have absolutely no problem with. I don't soeaj Spanish so I can't complain. However when you order 1 starter, 2 mains and a side you do not need to speak the same language to know which order they should be delivered in. But that never happened : we got the starter and my main delivered initially. Not wanting to let the food go cold we ate the shared starter and then I started on my main. Still the side and my wife's main course did not arrive. I asked and was told one minute...... 5 minutes later the rest of the dishes arrived. This is really not good enough.
Then there was the quality of the dishes. The starters of seafood croquettes could not be faulted. My wife had the salmon and said it was fine. But my Octopus Salobrena style was really not good. It was so salty that I could barely eat it and left over half of it.
Then to cap it all the bill came and the (excellent) bottle of wine we had was omitted. As tempting as it was to ignore this I just don't do that so pointed it out to the waiter. A shrug of the shoulders, no thank you and we had the correct bill!
The very final straw was when the plates were collected and we were asked for the first time if the food was OK. I said that mine was not and was told I ordered the wrong thing, as the other octopus dish was much better!!
All in all a real shame as the location is great and it was really disappointing to have such a duff meal sat in such a wonderful spot.
I would recommend the La Bahía restaurant next door, which was much better.

1  Thank BillericayHammer
Reviewed August 29, 2018 via mobile

This Restaurant speaks purely for itself. From the friendly staff to the excellent food and entertainment and of corse not to mention the incomparably stunning view, El PEÑÓN earns a 100% satisfaction in its own right. The food well presented and full of flavour and very fresh tasting. With “next to ALL” of the food (from personal experience) is delicious so I would recommend it all as it’s quite difficult to go wrong since there is something for everyone.

Date of visit: August 2018