“Delusions of grandeur - don't bother” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of El Chaleco

El Chaleco
Ranked #5 of 256 Restaurants in Almunecar
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The restaurant "El Chaleco" Bib Gourmand Michelin specialising in French cuisine are located in Almunecar. We will be pleased to invite you to a quiet and accessible atmosphere. Lydie, Renaud and their team will be happy to give you an idea of the little extra touch of French living. Opened in 1997, "El Chaleco" has tempted their customers with their dynamism, seriousness and pricing policy for many years. Indeed thanks to our professionalism, we can offer you for only 21,95 €, a first course, a main course of meat or fish with bread and a nice dessert as well. All selected to your own taste from the menu and without any additional charge, even the taxes are included. Almunecar possesses an exceptional climate and an..... El Chaleco restaurant.
“Delusions of grandeur - don't bother”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

I've been eating in almunecar for a long time and my recommendation is do not bother going here when there are so many other wonderful restaurants in the town. I have been a few times in case they were having an 'off night' but sadly it did not improve on second or even third visit.

The people are really unpleasant as is the food. It is pretentious and not well cooked or presented.

Apparently the cook has some connection to the king of Belgium which is rather unsubtly mentioned at any given chance, all I can say is that I pity the king if that was the best that he could find!

11 Thank Madrastra

Mondújar, Andalucia, Spain
“An unbelievably average restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

A traditional, somewhat dated, French style restaurant. I imagine it suits more a particular demographic of the local population (older international folk who are tired of Spanish Granadino cuisine). The service was good (albeit a bit old-school). The food was OK, nothing to rave about. Our starters were nice, in fact, the best part of the meal. The main course was overcooked and boring. The so-called "a la carte" menu is more like a pricy "menu del dia", in terms of the very limited choice, than a proper a la carte selection, especially when it came to fish, which for a coastal town restaurant was extremely limited. The desserts were ok, plain and unimaginative. Certainly not a place to go back to if you're looking for exciting, new French cuisine.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank GuyW118
LydiaElchaleco, Propriétaire at El Chaleco, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Sir, I thank you for your criticism, despite the fact that I am not entirely in agreement with you on some points.I respect your opinion. The direction.
Spain
“Pity about the menu.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

We have been going there for many years and it is my favourite place in terms of atmosphere - really cosy and Lydia is wonderful.

I can't fault the food generally although I have had a couple of dishes that could have been better.

I have just one complaint and I recognise that it won't apply to holiday visitors. Their menu hasn't changed for years. If you go regularly it rapidly gets boring as you've had it all before. We have come to rely on the daily specials which are generally pretty good but if that is the only "fresh" option then you might as well find a good Menu del Dia somewhere else.

I hope you read this Lydia as I know that you have lost a number of regulars because of this.

• Visited November 2011
5 Thank almendros21
LydiaElchaleco, Propriétaire at El Chaleco, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
Sir, I thank you for your opinion and the time that you took to write it. About the comments of the card that does not change, I have tried several times to change the card and each time the customers were asking for this to me which was the card before; that is why we have each week, of the different suggestions (off-board) and each month a special menu. I thank you for your critical it helps us to do better. If you want to be kept informed of our special menus I invite you to send us an email and i will be happy to pass this on to you. The entire team thank you for your constructive criticism, Lydia, Renaud Carmen, Stephane.
Spain
“Happy New Year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We visited this restaurant at lunchtime on New Year's Day 2012 during a visit to Grenada Province. We were looking for a really nice place to eat off the tourist/holidaymaker radar and we found it here. The owners and staff were very pleasant and helpful and the food was excellent. Fine dining at its best. We thoroughly enjoyed our visit and are hoping to go back again the next time we are in the area.

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank britabroadSpain
LydiaElchaleco, Propriétaire at El Chaleco, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Dear Madam & Mr,
A big thank you for the time you took to write your pleasant view to the restaurant El chaleco in Almunecar.We have all been touched by your friendly criticism. The entire team of the El chaleco thank you still Lydia,Renaud,Carmen,Stephane.
Doncaster
“Excellent Service Excellent Food Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were staying in a villa close to Jete approximately 10 miles away for a 2 week holiday. Saw the reviews on Trip Advisor for this one and the restaurant on the opposite side of the road and decided to give it a go.

My wife and I went on a Tuesday night (3rd July) - we were the only people in the restaurant all night and so it felt very special. Had a cassis champagne cocktail on arrival. I had a Greek salad (I know it's a French restaurant) herb crusted pork for main course and a zabaglione for dessert. All 3 courses were faultless and presented excellently. My wife had the roasted vegetable salad, the sole and a belgian chocolate cake with sauce. Washed down with a glass of wine or 2.

Thought it was definitely value for money and if we are ever in that area of Spain again we wil definitely go back.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank MrHopkins
LydiaElchaleco, Propriétaire at El Chaleco, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Hello Madam & Mister Hopkins,
hole team of Chaleco thank you for the note that you give us
We are at your service to make you spend a pleasant time.We are sorry that the dining room was empty, it is very rare but can unfortunately happen is no chance for you.
Any team thanks you again.
Lydia, Renaud,Carmen,stephane