“Five stars all round!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lanjaron
Caballo Blanco Trekking Centre
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Breathtaking scenery, warm company and the best horses I have ever ridden made Caballo Blanco an incredible experience. If you want good riding and great views, I highly recommend it! Trekking horses can have a tendency to become hard and stubborn, however all Sarah's horses are incredibly responsive and all have very distinctive personalities (especially Pippa and Terrano!), they are clearly loved and well looked after.

I did a working holiday at the centre in the summer of 2013, and would go back in a flash! The family was warm and friendly, the farm is beautiful and eco-friendly, and the riding was the best I have ever had. After just two weeks I felt completely at home, knew the horses, and had to pack my bag with extreme reluctance. If you like horses, good views (even the loo has a view!) and need a break from city life, I highly recommend Caballo Blanco!

Room Tip: My room was 'Casa de Clare' (best one-nearest the kitchen! ;)
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were recommended Caballo Blanco by the owners of the villa we were staying at in Orgiva and we we were not disappointed. Sarah who runs the place is extremely likeable and very extremely enthusiastic about her horses. The horses are all stunning animals and Sarah told us that they are all rescue horses. My wife and I had a 2 hr trek into the mountains with Jane (again who was very amiable) and the scenery was absolutely magnificent. Being both novice riders, the horses chosen ( we had to give heigh and weight measurements when booking) were ideal and knew the routes so both of us were never nervous even when we had to go both up and down very steep parts of the way. As people have said before in their comments, the site looks very basic as are the amenities but my wife having grown up on a farm, knows that working farms are not meant to be pretty. I would highly recommend this riding school and we would look to book a longer trek next time we come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I can only agree with what's been said before; this place is amazing! My first time at Caballo Blanco was a 3 week working holiday the summer of 2011, and I have been going back there ever since; needless to say, I love the place!

Where to start...
The trekking centre is located on a mountain side, outside of Lanjaron. While it might be quite basic, everything you need is available. It's a great place to get away from the daily stress and deadlines and whatnot, and just enjoy the horses, meeting new people, ...

The horses are amazing; they're wellbehaved, nice and surefooted. They all have their own personality and aren't the mindless ponies you usually see at a trekking centre or riding school. There are horses for beginners, nervous riders, experienced riders, and everything in between. You'll be sure to find a horse to suit your needs, and Sarah does a great job at finding a nice rider-horse-combination.

As for the riding; this is how riding is supposed to be. There are lots of trails to discover and the views are simply stunning. I have done a lot of riding while I was at CB, and I don't think I will ever get bored of the rides. And for the competent riders: what beats taking your horse for a nice canter in the mountains?!

Sarah and Ali do their best to make your stay and the riding a positive experience. They are warm, welcoming people who are always willing to help, and I am really glad I met them.
Not only is Sarah a lovely person, she's also a great horsewoman. I love watching her work with her horses and I have learnt a great deal from her.

I am really happy to have found Caballo Blanco, and I'm counting down the days until I can go back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank MVal188666
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I did a working holiday at Caballo Blanco during the summer of 2012. It was a unique experience and I'm very glad I did it. This was my first time traveling to Europe (I'm from the USA) and it was very cool to get off the beaten track and see some areas that aren't so touristy. This was by no means a "luxury" vacation - my friend and I were given a little "casita" for the week to sleep in. This was basically two twin beds with a nightstand in between. It was nice because the stone kept it cooler than outside during the day, but it was very basic - no electricity. We were responsible for bringing our own lights. A little kitchen around the backside of the casita was where we cooked. Food was provided, but we cooked for ourselves. The kitchen *did* have a bit of electricity, so we were able to charge electronics for a few hours each day. That said, I rarely used any electronics while I was there - just didn't feel the need to. Rather, we spent time talking with the other working holiday guests, taking care of the horses, journaling, napping (siestas are the best invention EVER), and most of all, RIDING.

I had never ridden so much in my life (and I'm an avid rider). Ride lengths ranged from 2-7 hours each day and while we were out on the treks, we were treated just like the "real" guests. Because both my friend and I had experience riding, we were able to accompany the advanced treks and there was no shortage of trotting, cantering (some of which felt more like a gallop at times!) One day we were able to trek through a "hippie commune" to another town in the area. The guide watched our horses while we were able to walk into town and have lunch/explore. On another day trip, we trekked past a waterfall. On yet another day, we trekked up to an overlook point and got to eat lunch while looking out over the sierra nevada. The scenery was amazing and much different from what I'm used to. The horses were nothing short of amazing - and best of all, they were friendly (unlike so many trail/lesson horses that you see around here).

We had two days off, one of which we spent in the town of Lanjaron (Sarah and Ali are kind enough to work with us to hitch rides up and down the mountain, because it'd be a LONG walk up!). The other, we left early and headed for a night to Granada.

Oh, and that bathroom that has been the source of much talk - it's really not that bad. I can't say I've ever seen a toilet with a better view (whoever built the wall had a sense of humor... there's a nice little cutout in the wall to view the surrounding mountains while you're on the toilet!) More or less, we'd just make ourselves known as we neared the toilet area and if someone was using it, they'd make themselves known as well and so the person waiting would know to stay a bit away (the "door" is short - easy enough to see over if you wanted... but who would want to?)

I give this 4 stars because it was an unforgettable experience for a GREAT value, Sarah was extremely kind and accommodating, and we were treated like true guests while we were out on treks (rather than just workers along for the ride)...BUT, if you are looking for anything other than a down-to-earth, rustic experience, you may want to avoid the working holiday aspect of the program or go somewhere else. We dealt with flies in the casita while we napped, there are animals roaming all around, the "bathroom" was far from that of a 5 star hotel, and it is a "working" holiday (albeit to a horse lover, the work wasn't bad at all - simply feeding a few times a day and tacking/untacking the horses for rides)... if you know this going in and are okay with it, you'll have a marvelous time and meet some interesting people! Just don't go in blind expecting a resort!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank walkingincircles
Reviewed April 16, 2013

When I booked a late winter trek "above Lanjaron" with the Caballo Blanco Trekking Centre, I was feeling worn around the edges with work deadlines, other people's problems and the rigours of town life. In a somewhat stressy mood, I arrived slightly late at the trekking centre to meet my mount for the ride - the forward-going but easy-to-control grey, Ciel.

As soon as we ventured out on our ride, my mood changed for the better. Proving to be an expert equestrienne and mountain guide, the affable Caballo Blanco proprietor, Sarah Vesey, has an intimate knowledge of the Sierra Nevada and the goat tracks that wind around it. She led us up the Rio Lanjaron, where we were soon greeted with the majestic sight of snowy peaks set against a large glacial gorge. Viewing this vista before us, I soon forgot the ills of "civilisation" (although mobile phones still receive a GPS signal, for those who need to remain "on grid").

"Riding in the Sierra Nevada is like a meditation", said Sarah, as she picked the most favourable route through the terrain on her mount, Chilli Bean. The Andalus horses are bred to be sure-footed on the mountain tracks and we were not to be disappointed - despite some rough ground underfoot, they barely put a hoof out of place.

After two hours, we stopped for a picnic lunch with the snowy peaks towering above us. Food always tastes better in fresh air and you can't get much fresher than at high altitude in the Sierra Nevada. The horses enjoyed the break too, using the nearby bushes as scratching posts!

Although some people who have reviewed Caballo Blanco have rather strangely fixated on the toilet facilities (you want 4-star fixed and "mobile" toilets in the middle of the "campo" - really?!), I would recommend Caballo Blanco as a riding centre where the horses are well looked after, the staff knowledgeable and the proprietor friendly and a good judge of clients' riding ability.

I certainly dismounted in a much better frame of mind - you cannot help but be awed by the diversity of the scenery, with views stretching from the mountain peaks of the Sierra Nevada (looking north) to the 'costa' and the edge of Africa on the distant horizon (looking south).

Viewing the Sierra Nevada from the perspective of horseback is definitely good for the soul.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jo-chip-away
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We spent a week in Lanjaron and came up to Caballo Blanco every day to work and ride. Sarah was great with our kids (ages 8 and 10) and had us all riding in no time. We learned a lot about the horses while we were there. It is obvious that all the animals on the farm are well loved and superbly cared for. The kids couldn't get enough.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were really looking forward to this as had read the wonderful reviews. What a disappointment !
We went for a ride out. Sarah just couldn't be bothered. Spent virtually the whole ride on her mobile phone. One of the group was a very inexperienced rider. Sarah obviously hadn't checked the girth properly as at a certain point the saddle slipped completely to one side. Sarah's response? To tell him to try to wiggle back on! Not for the nervous then!
The toilet was so disgusting you couldn't contemplate using it.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family