“Upscale, but a rip off”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #60 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed July 19, 2010

This was my first stay in a W hotel. I was excited for the "whenever/Whatever" experience and the departure from the design of a normal hotel. In the end, I was afraid to ask for anything because of the cost it might incur. I was satisfied, but only because I paid a fraction of what everyone else paid.

The building itself is in a good location, but isnt really a nice physical specimen. I believe it was converted from an existing hotel. From the exterior, it simply does not compare to W midtown or W Downtown. never been inside either of those, so I cant comment.

The biggest issue I had was the feeling of being nickle and dimed for everything. I guess that's the irony (and downside) of staying in a "4star property"--you get almost nothing for your dollar and nothing is included. The minibar in the room is a joke--$5 for 12oz of water? $8 for M&M's? You've got to be kidding. The rack rate is nearly 250/nt and you expect to get something for that. I of course got a hotwire rate and saved big time; but I still cant be bilked out of money like that. But what Hotwire doesnt tell you is that this place charges $30 to park! what a rip off. we parked at the Westin next door for a ghastly $20. If you are local, just take the MARTA...it lets out 1/2 block away.

The second biggest issue was the cleanliness. The room was spotless, but the halls were filthy and filled with other peoples discarded food and glasswear. The pool deck was dirty and clearly hadnt been even hosed down all week. Never seen that at Hilton or Marriott.

The 3rd issue is size. everything is small. Rooms are OK size for 2 people, but the bathroom is unacceptably small with no proper door. The shower literally doesnt have a door. Water was splashing everywhere. This place really personified "Form over Function." Design engineers, stay away! The pool is also tiny. what you see in online pictures is it.

They dont have a vending machine, and instead wanted me to pay room service price (dare I ask) for a diet coke. Believe it or not, coffee was free. Biscuits and bannanas, however, were not. $3 each for those fine products.

On the upside, the staff was helpful and friendly (and surprisingly not pretentious), the rooms were delightfully comfortable and clean, and the lobby was fun and smelled like a rose (seriously, they must pipe it in there). I had no issues with noise or air conditioner, as others have mentioned.

In the end, a nice urban getaway for us, but enough to know that I wont be staying in a another W hotel. If you don't mind getting ripped off if you look fashionable while doing it--this is the place for you. Enjoy the $10 in room red bull drink and head up to the rooftop bar and drink in a $15 margarita with the pretty folks in ribbed sweaters and buckled shoes.

There are newer reviews for W Atlanta - Buckhead

Reviewed July 17, 2010

The staff at the W hotel is fantastic. From the moment we stepped out of our car everyone treated us beautifully. Unfortunately, though, that is the only thing going for this hotel.

The building itself could not be uglier, and the rooms worse. The bathroom was totally unacceptable - the glass door didn't even close all the way. It was tiny, tiny, tiny.
The walls are paper thin which made sleeping totally impossible and we had to call security because of loud music.

We will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 15, 2010

My friends and I had a great stay. What a beautiful property you have in Buckhead. Every talent was exceptional. From the young man that helped with luggage, To Mark, Adam and the rest of the whatever/whenever/welcome desk staff (Wheels was also great) . We truly had an amazing stay, and will definitely be back sometime soon. Thanks again for having such a wonderful staff, property.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank primetimeakab
Reviewed July 11, 2010

The hotel experience was awesome. Hands down, this is my top pick everytime I come to Atlanta. I held four conferences at this hotel and everytime my experience was topnotch. The icing on the cake was the superb staff. Four individuals who stood out amongest the stars were Linda front desk manager, Travis Greeter, Marc front Desk manager and Michael the Concierge. These four team members went over and beyond to ensure that my 12 day stay was phenominal. I have been utilizing this hotel for two years and I will continue.

A. W.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank abw706
WBuckheadManager, General Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Well Hello There, abw706!

Thanks so much for your review and your continued loyalty to W Atlanta Buckhead! We're thrilled to hear that we're your #1 choice when in Atlanta! I can't wait to share your comments with the entire staff and in particular, your fab four - Linda, Travis, Marc and David-Michael! We all look forward to seeing you again, either for another conference or for a weekend getaway! Thanks again!

Warm Wishes

Reviewed July 8, 2010

Exceptional Service (front desk; concierge; whatever/whenever staff). The rooms are marvelous and whatever you do not have as an amenity, the Whatever/Whenever staff are quick to accomodate! There are not any 'I do not want to be here' attitudes from any of the associates at this hotel. The rooftop bar/lounge is fantastic! Best of all, there is a private elevator for the hotel guest to access the rooftop bar; you will appreciate this because the line to get in is sometimes rather long.
I really like the room! One thing I would caution if you are a light sleeper is to bring earplugs; the air conditioner unit is rather loud.

1  Thank hienergy
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I won't tell you everything that went well at this hotel (everything) but it was beyond well....from the valet when we pulled up to Carol at the front desk (check-in and out), to the fireworks on the roof, to Liz and Summer at Whiskey Blue, to the room service deliveries (on-time and really good food, even after midnight), to the comfort of the room, and bed, to the many people who answered the phones when we needed something/anything, allI can say is WOW! We stayed there last year-we will again next year! Thanks for making our mini vacation, one we will remember for a long time.

1  Thank Mallak
Reviewed July 6, 2010

The hotel was wonderful, the room very comfortable, the Market an excellent place to dine. My guest and I also viewed the fire works in whriskey blue it was a great experience. One of your employees really stood out beyond the rest, on my first night their, I left my car at the train station for one of my friends that was to arrive later that evening. My friend founded out his plane was delayed because of weather it was 10:45 pm. My friend would arrive long after the train stopped, so the car would have to be moved, I called down to asked if I could get a ride down to the car. I met Willie what a nice guy he was waiting for me when I stepped outside, took me to the car waited while I retrieved it. I was at the hotel for 6 days had the pleasurer of riding with Willie three other trips always gracious, great knowledge of the city. Willie helped make a wonderful experience even better.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo