“Decent spot to stay”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #60 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed June 21, 2010

Please see my blog at http://talesfromtheroad-mwalno.blogspot.com/

Fun - yeah, Great - no. I only stayed here because it was so much cheaper than the Hyatt...but I was glad I did.

I am not a huge fan of the "hip" hotel, and think it is silly when only one person is working a "check in" desk - although it doesn't look like that. The decor was over the top for me, but i was in room 707.

It was 2 rooms over from the elevator, but it was QUIET.

Liked: how quiet it was, work area with plugs in desk, tv, staff is very friendly and goes out of way to help.

Hated: bathroom in the room (no separation), shower (not real warm, no door, and right next to toilet), food/water they try to sell when you walk in room, bed (horrible night sleep), valet parking (only option at $30/day), the gym - it is not really a gym - just two open rooms with a few barbells, couple of ellipticals, and a punching bag - disappointing.

Had a good breakfast in the restaurant, and a drink in roof top bar before bed.

No reason to stay here again (except for Sprint rate).

Room Charge 129.00 (sprint rate)
Tax 10.32
Occupancy 9.03
Wheels 30.00 (valet - only option)

Total - $178.35

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed June 14, 2010

This experience was unbelievably horrible. The rooms were so small I felt like I was in Alice in Wonderland, while they were nicely decorated, the staff's customer service was unacceptable. I was told while booking over the phone I would ahve access to so many amenities, however at check-in the manager stressed all the restrictions. My guest and I were so afraid we would be charged fees, so we purchased our on soap! We requested for additional face towels and the hospitatlity staff told us there were 'nt anymore clean, it costed $30 for valet parking and self-parking is such a inconvenience, there wasnt a fridge or micromave in our room, and no one asisted us with our lugage.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 11, 2010

I travel the world and am rarely "wowed" by a hotel experience. We held a small team meeting at The W in Buckhead -- and I was "wowed". The location, rooms, and ambience are all very cool and interesting. The team goes out of their way to make every guest feel welcome. We held our 6 person meeting in the Strategy room at this property (very cool and stylish room perfect for groups up to 12). Karen Donatelli from Sales treated us as though we were bringing a group of 500 to the hotel - VERY impressive! Nestor who was our meeting coordinator for the day provided outstanding service - truly exceptional. Russ at the front desk and Joseph one of their bellman/ambassadors were totally customer focused and determined that we would have a great experience at The W and in Atlanta. We did and we will return! p.s. The sleeping rooms are small (especially bathrooms) but again - designed for guest comfort -- and so cool -- you don't want to leave. Thanks to all at the Buckhead W!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 6, 2010

I have mixed feeling about the W Atlanta Buckhead. Positive is that is was very clean and I felt safe there. The outdoor pool was really nice too. On the negative, I was not enamored by the urban chic decor; I found it distracting. There was no free internet, and no free business center. Several lightbulbs were out in my room, and one morning there was no hot water. I also didn't like the design of the stand alone shower; you couldn't reach in to adjust the temperature of the water without standing directly in the stream of the shower. The air conditioner was loud. Lots of young adults were running up and down the hallways well into the night talking and making a lot of noise. I didn't see any vending machines for soda, nor did I see a small gift shop to purchase snacks or drinks. There was a bar in the lobby, and it appeared as if they were serving coffee, etc in the morning, though I did not see if they served any type of food.

Staff didn't seem overly concerned, nor were they apologetic when I reported the lack of hot water.

I was scheduled to stay for 3 days, but checked out after the first night and stayed elsewhere, due to the lack of hot water. I didn't even want to stay to see if it would be fixed. This place just wasn't my style.

Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2010

My stay was delightful and I would go out of my way to stay again. The staff was great and went out of their way to be helpful! The facilities were first class yet whimsical. Ambiance of rooms and public areas was interesting and fun - not cookie-cutter as one finds in most big hotel chains. Extremely clean. PT

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 14, 2010

I was looking forward to staying at the W because it was billed as a "New" hotel and an upscale brand in the Starwood chain. I knew this was not the hotel for us as soon as I pulled up. The customer drop off area is too small. The lobby is artsy but not very grand. I soon realized that this was not really a new hotel but a poor facelift of the last hotel at this location. Our room was a liitle small but adequate. There were no bureaus for clothes. The air conditioning unit rattled whenever the fan ran. The electircal outlet in the bathroom didn't work. The light in the vanity mirror didn't work. There was no trash can in the bathroom when we arrived. Some days there was a bathroom rug and some days there wasn't. But the worst part was waking up to no hot water and having to take a coled shower. The hot water boiler was broken and took a day to fix.

Aside from these problems, which are inexcusable for a 4 star deluxe hotel, the W does not have a restaurant or gift shop, or similar ammenities you'd expect. There is a rooftop club but it's really a club and not a restuarant. There is a "grab and go" breakfast counter where you can buy basic coffees, teas, breads and fruit for breakfast. We've stayed in a number of hotels in Buckehead and this was by far the worst. Honestly, we would have been better off at a well maintainted 3 star hotel than the W; and the number of problems we had would be inexcusable in a 3 Star.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2010

OMG! This hotel was in a great location, but not worth the money. The hotel itself was very nice but the ammenities were poor. Had to pay for wi-fi, $30 for valet. Stayed at just as nice places were all this was free to its guest. You would think as much they are charging that all this would be included.The King bed room we had was very small! I expected so much more! And upon returning home and checked my account and was charged additional charges that could not be explained. Someone from their finance department still hasnt called me back. Ive been to nicer hotels for cheaper with better ammenities. Will not be staying there again!! I guess it was all about location!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple