“Convenient Location + Super Cool Decor but Still Lacking Something”

W Atlanta - Buckhead
Ranked #61 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I like the W Buckhead way better than their midtown location. The hotel truly embodies the W brand. Super loungey too cool for me music in the lobby, creative decor, witty phrases (sweat instead of gym, dough over the atm, etc.) and it smells really really nice. However, there were a few things that made me waver between giving it 3 or 4 stars.

The W Buckhead is a 3.75 star hotel according to me. The rooms are well decorated, but are smaller in size compared to W Midtown. The rooms are clean, there's a desk to do work on (although the wood got water-damage on it and was covered in bumps), the bed was more on the soft side than firm, and the sheets were clean.

The bathroom is pretty tight in space. There's a small glass counter where you can put toiletries and that's about it. There is a frosted glass pane in the middle of the wall facing the bedroom. You can see faint shapes out, but looking in you can't see much. It might be awkward for some people. The bathroom door is also a frosted glass. You can hear people pee so you should be pretty comfortable with whoever you're staying with.

The service was friendly. The valet was quick, as long as we called down our car would be waiting for us by the time we got downstairs (~ 5 minutes). Valet is about $32 per night. Also, I left my phone there and when I called, the security guard was very very helpful. He went to go look for it and called me back within 10 minutes to told me he found it. I really appreciate him taking that effort to go look for it and to ship it back to me. Thank you!

So why 4 stars instead of 5?

1. There was 3 elevators but only one was working on the first night I got there and for some reason it wouldn't go to the floor it was suppose to. Fixed quickly though.

2. Plastic cups in the bathroom. I know this is going to make me sound super snobby but really? I mean.. plastic cups instead of glass? I'm not at the holiday inn. I would actually love to hear the reasoning behind this.

3. This is a huge business hotel which means everyone is up early around 7 am taking a shower. Thus, no hot water for you. Also, the room walls are thing and I could hear people showering while I was showering.

4. The air conditioning is loud... it's a system in the room that actually takes up a lot of space.

5. Gym is on the small side - 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, 1 bike, and weight machines. Usually I think this is plenty, but every morning I was there each were occupied. They should consider an expansion.

Randoms:

- Very close to MARTA Station, Phipps, and Lenox Square
- Coffee in the morning
- Fruit-infused water
- Internet is 10.95 to 14.95 a day for up to 3 devices.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end may be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

amiedelanoche - WOW, thanks for painting a picture about your recent W Buckhead experience! It's extremely important to us that every guest who walks through our doors experiences our W Service Culture in every aspect. While you referenced many positives about your experience, we're focused on improving the areas that are lacking so that next time you stop we'll earn that 4 star ranking! Take care and remember that you're always invited to mix it up, play, recharge and relax here with us at W Atlanta Buckhead!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

The service in the roof top bar was appalling. Surly, unappreciative staff. They were more interested in having a conversation amongst themselves than even acknowledging us, let alone asking if we wanted anything. I spend 200 nights a year in hotels - this is the worst service so far this year. The management here need to take a serious look at how their staff treat customers. I won't be back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo

monkeynonk - We're sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience at Whiskey Blue. This is certainly not the norm and for this we're truly sorry. Whiskey Blue is a great location to be seen in Atlanta whether you're looking to mingle with a few friends or pop a few bottles in VIP. We hope that you'll stop by again and when you do just let us know in advance. You're my personal guest and a true "Insider" experience awaits!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

The hotel is very hip and trendy - maybe a little too trendy for my taste. The bathrooms have a strange paper wall separating them from the main room and no door on the shower, which is typical of the W hotels. The bar area is nice, but drinks are pricey. Everyone really enjoyed the rooftop bar.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Tiffany W,

Thanks for stopping by to visit us at Buckhead's most exclusive address! We're glad that you enjoyed your experience at our rooftob bar, Whiskey Blue and found our hotel design and decor hip and trendy. We'll certainly see you next time!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

Had a wonderful experience at the W Atlanta Buckhead, was greeted by Taz at the front desk who did a great job accommodating our needs. Then Renford Parkes, the Guest Experience Manager made our stay so worthwhile. He took care of all our needs making sure we had a great time and he did just that. Great service from Renford!! What a wonderful staff at this hotel on top of a gorgeous room and hotel. The rooftop bar is so classy as well, totally worth checking out. 4 Stars to the W Atlanta Buckhead!!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Olivia D,

We're thrilled that you had a wonderful W experience and thank you for the kind comments about our talent. The vibe at Whiskey Blue is amazing, right? Our cozy and intimate guestrooms are perfect for the business or leisure travelor who is looking for a great time and a great hotel in Buckhead! When in Atlanta, give us a call to reserve your room.... a unique insider experience awaits!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

My family and I stayed at the W for a long weekend while my husband had a few business meetings. At first I was a little disappointed because the front desk had made a couple mistakes and wouldn't let me and my three year old daughter check in because the reservation was only in my husbands name. After traveling six hours with a toddler, and now being misplaced I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. Luckily this would be totally overlooked because of two other staff members! Scott (I don't know his last name) was wonderful! He went out of his way to make a memorable impression on my daughter, with treats every time he saw her and even had a s'mores night after dinner Saturday. This was perfect, he was amazing with her, showing her how to cook the marshmallow and all. He had so much patience even though he had a packed hotel! As we were checking out he even popped her popcorn and packed some fruit for the trip home, and he wasn't even working yet! The other staff member is a man named Vernon..a security officer. I was about halfway home before I realized I had lost one of my diamond earrings. I called the hotel in one last ditch effort to locate the earring but by then considered it a loss. They transferred me to Vernon. I told him the situation and he said he would check the room but nothing had been reported. Of course I thought to myself, who turns in a lost diamond?! About five minutes passed and Vernon called me back...he had went up to the room and checked himself and found the earring!! I was in total shock..if you travel a lot you know that this is beyond rare. I couldn't believe such honest people still exist. Every time I visit Atlanta I will be back to the W because of Scott and Vernon! They deserve promotions because of their positivity and genuine care for their guests!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
RParkes, Guest Experience Manager at W Atlanta - Buckhead, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Katie M - Thanks for "sending praises" about your recent experience! Reviews such as this just solidify exactly why we're in the hospitality industry, to create impactful and everlasting impressions with our guests. Our team is so proud to read your review and this is such a great testimonial of our brand's service culture of Whatever/Whenever 24/7. Don't be stranger....come see us again soon!

Take care,

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I received above and beyond customer service and professionalism from Taz at the front desk great job W buckhead a great visit starts with great and peraonal service and she hit those concepts directly on the mark.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Keith M. - Taz and the Welcome Desk Team are ready to welcome everyone to W Atlanta Buckhead in true Southern Hospitality style, with a W twist!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my last two stays at the W Buckhead. It's in a great location, has a wonderful staff, and is so close to many great restaurants and shops. This was for a business trip but I will definitely be back, for buisness or pleasure.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

jet_stream23 - Whether you're experiencing W Atlanta Buckhead for an electrifying night or preparing for a business meeting in one of our cozy guestrooms, this is the place to be while in the city! Thank you for visiting and you're always invited to stop by anytime. A memorable experience awaits!