“Not horrible, but not again” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport
Ranked #99 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Not horrible, but not again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

As a Diamond traveler with Hilton who greedily often chooses the DoubleTree because of the yummy DoubleTree Cookie, I was disappointed with my experience with my arrival last night.

The first challenge was with the shuttle. it arrived relatively quickly so I had little waiting time, which was great. However the driver merely opened the door and didn't offer any words of welcome nor did he make any attempt whatsoever to help me with my bag. All he said was "are you looking for the Doubletree?" To which i said yes, and he didn't say anything else. There was no rack on the bus for storage of luggage (It was one of those vans where they put the luggage in the rear, but putting the bag in the back was never put forth as an option) So I just dragged my luggage up and had it next to my seat. Well, it was a four wheeled piece of luggage and I was working on my laptop not holding on the the luggage. So as the bus took a turn, before I could react, it rolled all the way to the front of the bus. I scrambled after it and apologized. But the driver just looked at me balefully and kept on with his phone conversation.

Upon check in the person was very friendly. However, as he was wrapping up after coding the key, he said "so you are here for just one night, right?" I said, "No, two nights". He looked at the screen and said, "Yes, that's right" Then he said, "Well you can come back to the desk tomorrow to have the key recoded." To which I thought, "Well, why can't you just do it now? Why am i being inconvenienced because of your oversight?" There was no one else in line. It was stated without any explanation or apology whatsoever. I chose not to say anything as I wasn't looking for an unpleasant exchange after a long day of travel. Disappointing

Neither of these were horrible experiences. The room is just fine and I love the Doubletree toiletries! However, with so many hotels to choose from near the Atlanta airport and with my extreme frequent travel, I will be making another choice of a property where people exert much more effort at customer service.

2 Thank ConstantRoadster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Chattanooga, Tennessee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I normally travel with ear plugs, eye mask, and anything else that will insure that I have a good night sleep. Since I would only spend one night, I booked a room with Hilton points. My idea of camping is a 3-Star hotel. Since I was just off a 3 week vacation, I didn't want to spend money on a hotel for one night about 100 miles from home.

We arrived and Daylen greeted me and checked me in quickly and professionally. He made me feel that he was entertaining me in his own home. The cookies sealed the deal! I asked if the room that I was assigned was quiet and he assured me that it was. The room was spacious, clean, and I enjoyed the amenities. We waited until 5:00 p.m. for dinner in the restaurant. When we arrived, it was dark and eventually someone seated us. The meal was tasty, but the service was lousy. There were only two tables filled in the restaurant. After dinner we visited the lounge, where everyone was eating and getting great service from Will, who was great with his customer service.

I rushed to my room to change into my night clothes and relax because I was registered for a class the next morning. When I was ready to go to sleep, I couldn't close the draperies. The rods on each window only covered half of window. The sheers didn't darken the room enough for me to sleep and the noise from trains, cars, suitcases rolling, and the loud air conditioner meant that I didn't sleep a wink. My husband got up after an hour and cut the air conditioner off and it made the noise worst. He slept in the chair. I counted sheep in the comfy bed.

We ate breakfast the next morning. The buffet offerings were luke warm and bland. I ordered an omelet that was a little better than the buffet selections. After I received my omelet, the omelet cook showed up. Again, service was lousy!

When I checked out, a young lady asked me about my stay and I tried not to answer. It is better for me not to answer when I miss my sleep. After she insisted on a reply, she asked me if I called downstairs. There was no apology or empathy in her voice. Daylen and Will should provide customer service training for the rest of the staff at this property.

It is a nice hotel for an early flight if you are heavy sleeper. If you are a light sleeper, you might want to try one of the sister hotels in the area. I attended a class at one and I surely wished that I booked that one for one night.

1 Thank Winetastindiva
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed here for one night after a misconnection. This is not a hotel for vacation. It is a hotel for people who need to be at the airport quickly. The shuttle runs every 30 minutes, makes no stops along the way, and was on time. The hotel hallways are outdated but given my circumstances, it was fine. The room was excellent, clean, and included a microwave. My wakeup call was on time.

One drawback is that it really isn’t close to anything other than the airport. If it is late and you want to eat, be prepared for 15-20 minute walk. So, if it is raining…..buy at the airport or else….

Yes, I would definitely stay here again on a misconnect.

1 Thank jknight910
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

With such a wide selection of hotels around the Atlanta airport, I've settled on the Doubletree for it's location and relative value.
Tucked back in off Virginia Ave and I-85, it's easy to get out and around to all the major highways and is minutes from both the rental car center and airport.
They offer a nice breakfast buffet, have a nice lobby with small bar and have a shuttle van that will take you to area restaurants.
Rooms have always been very clean and the staff is nice and helpful.
Prepay online and get an even better rate.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side have a little less noise
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Huntsville, Alabama
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Had to run to Atlanta for a day and decided to use my HHonors points to book a room. I got a "corner room" for only 10,000 points. I was offered a warm cookie at check in and loved the appearance of the lobby. Granted, the Atlanta airport area can be kind of sketchy, but this was a nice property. I didn't even arrive until almost midnight, so the front desk clerk waived the $10 parking fee, which was nice! The room was big, had great toiletries and bottled water. The Hyatt Place nearby used to be my go to hotel in the area, but I would definitely consider staying at this property again!

Room Tip: The corner room is pretty nice and spacious!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Allyson_86
SamB3400, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
I want to first and foremost thank you for taking the time in writing a review about the Doubletree Atlanta Airport. The review serves as guest feedback and is the number one tool for us to improve as a brand and as a property. We use the reviews and guest feedback to train and better our staff in order to provide excellent customer service.
I am very excited that you had a great stay with us! It is guest like you that make our jobs as managers easy. Thank you for choosing the Doubletree Atlanta Airport. We certainly appreciate the great comments and hope to see you back at the Doubletree Atlanta Airport. We value your business, but more important value you as a guest.
Thank you and have a great day!
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed one night at the Doubletree Hotel Atlanta Airport and was really surprised at how poor the experience was. While there were a few people who tried to make the stay worthwhile, most of the staff seemed to know the hotel was awful, and it was like they'd given up. I give the hotel two stars because I paid so little for the room; if I'd paid $100 it had gotten one star.

The visit started out all right, with a friendly and efficient ride to the hotel from the airport in the airport van. In fact, the airport transportation was about the best thing about the stay.

The woman at check in was efficient but far from welcoming, and was kind enough to change my room (the first room I was given, on the even side of the hotel, had a lot of noise from the highway; I asked to be moved across the hall, which she did. Unfortunately, that room had some mechanical noise, but it was quieter than the highway).

The room was fine. Nothing special, but not bad either. The bed was clean and fresh and comfortable, as was the bathroom. Unfortunately, the shower never got hot. I ran it for about 15 minutes at 5:30 AM and it just got warm enough to not be cold. I was able to take a shower, but not a hot one.

At dinner time I went down to the restaurant for dinner, and I could not tell if it was open or not. The lights were dim. I walked in, and there was no one there. So I decided I'd just try room service. I called the number in the book, and got a fast busy signal. So I called the "careline" and asked about room service. The nice and helpful woman tried to connect me, but came back on after about 20 rings and told me that "we are having some trouble with that line. Can you try again in 20 minutes?" I just decided to leave the hotel and get something to eat outside; there are several restaurants within walking distance.

The restaurant was open for a breakfast buffet in the morning but had no cooked to order items.

There was just such a lack of hospitality at the hotel. I've never seen so little proactice concern for guests at a Doubletree hotel before.

Room Tip: I think the odd numbered rooms are quieter as the do not directly overlook the highway.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fenwayman
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

It was late and we were unexpectedly stranded at Atlanta airport. After a quick internet search of nearby hotels, we selected the Double Tree. I’m glad we did. The hotel shuttle arrived within 10-minutes. No need to call, they pick up and drop off on a 30-minute schedule. The driver was super helpful. He even offered to take us to get something to eat because the hotel restaurant was already closed. We weren’t hungry, just tired. It took less than 10-miutes to reach the hotel from the airport.
We told the friendly front desk staff that we needed a room and we didn’t have a reservation. She quickly found a good rate, selected our room type, gave us our key, and directed us toward the elevator.
Room 706 is exactly what a weary traveler needs; a comfortable, large, clean room. The room décor is modern with good lighting, several electric outlets, and good climate control. The king size bed is made with excellent quality sheets, a cozy down comforter, and plenty of down pillows.
The bathroom has been updated recently. There’s a newly replaced, old style low tub with an adjustable shower head. The water pressure was adequate and the temperature constant. The towels are soft and large. The full supply of good quality amenities include shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouth wash. The silky (as opposed to fuzzy) bathrobes are super nice.
We got eight hours of good sleep. Then we went down stairs for breakfast. A waitress promptly brought over a carafe of strong coffee and little creamers. The omelet station is in the middle of the buffet. A super nice cook asked us if she could make something for us. I ordered two fried eggs to go on top of my southern breakfast biscuits, gravy and grits. She prepared two perfect sunny-side-up eggs for me. My husband ordered an omelet with meat, cheese and veggies. He enjoyed it so much that he actually asked for another. The breakfast buffet is included for Hilton Honors Gold Members. But even if not compted, it is a good value.
Since our flight was late in the afternoon, we didn’t need to leave for the airport until 2 o’clock. The hotel wasn’t too busy this particular Monday, so they were kind enough to let us check out late. The shuttle to the airport was prompt and delivered us safely with plenty of time to spare.
We often find ourselves staying near the Atlanta airport. From now on, the Double Tree is our first choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Staybridge Suites Atlanta Airport
Hilton Atlanta Airport
Hilton Atlanta Airport
#86 of 172 in Atlanta
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,571 reviews

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport? Share your experiences!