“They barely even tried.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport
Ranked #99 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I stayed one night at the Doubletree Hotel Atlanta Airport and was really surprised at how poor the experience was. While there were a few people who tried to make the stay worthwhile, most of the staff seemed to know the hotel was awful, and it was like they'd given up. I give the hotel two stars because I paid so little for the room; if I'd paid $100 it had gotten one star.

The visit started out all right, with a friendly and efficient ride to the hotel from the airport in the airport van. In fact, the airport transportation was about the best thing about the stay.

The woman at check in was efficient but far from welcoming, and was kind enough to change my room (the first room I was given, on the even side of the hotel, had a lot of noise from the highway; I asked to be moved across the hall, which she did. Unfortunately, that room had some mechanical noise, but it was quieter than the highway).

The room was fine. Nothing special, but not bad either. The bed was clean and fresh and comfortable, as was the bathroom. Unfortunately, the shower never got hot. I ran it for about 15 minutes at 5:30 AM and it just got warm enough to not be cold. I was able to take a shower, but not a hot one.

At dinner time I went down to the restaurant for dinner, and I could not tell if it was open or not. The lights were dim. I walked in, and there was no one there. So I decided I'd just try room service. I called the number in the book, and got a fast busy signal. So I called the "careline" and asked about room service. The nice and helpful woman tried to connect me, but came back on after about 20 rings and told me that "we are having some trouble with that line. Can you try again in 20 minutes?" I just decided to leave the hotel and get something to eat outside; there are several restaurants within walking distance.

The restaurant was open for a breakfast buffet in the morning but had no cooked to order items.

There was just such a lack of hospitality at the hotel. I've never seen so little proactice concern for guests at a Doubletree hotel before.

Room Tip: I think the odd numbered rooms are quieter as the do not directly overlook the highway.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank fenwayman

Reviewed April 4, 2013

It was late and we were unexpectedly stranded at Atlanta airport. After a quick internet search of nearby hotels, we selected the Double Tree. I’m glad we did. The hotel shuttle arrived within 10-minutes. No need to call, they pick up and drop off on a 30-minute schedule. The driver was super helpful. He even offered to take us to get something to eat because the hotel restaurant was already closed. We weren’t hungry, just tired. It took less than 10-miutes to reach the hotel from the airport.
We told the friendly front desk staff that we needed a room and we didn’t have a reservation. She quickly found a good rate, selected our room type, gave us our key, and directed us toward the elevator.
Room 706 is exactly what a weary traveler needs; a comfortable, large, clean room. The room décor is modern with good lighting, several electric outlets, and good climate control. The king size bed is made with excellent quality sheets, a cozy down comforter, and plenty of down pillows.
The bathroom has been updated recently. There’s a newly replaced, old style low tub with an adjustable shower head. The water pressure was adequate and the temperature constant. The towels are soft and large. The full supply of good quality amenities include shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, lotion and mouth wash. The silky (as opposed to fuzzy) bathrobes are super nice.
We got eight hours of good sleep. Then we went down stairs for breakfast. A waitress promptly brought over a carafe of strong coffee and little creamers. The omelet station is in the middle of the buffet. A super nice cook asked us if she could make something for us. I ordered two fried eggs to go on top of my southern breakfast biscuits, gravy and grits. She prepared two perfect sunny-side-up eggs for me. My husband ordered an omelet with meat, cheese and veggies. He enjoyed it so much that he actually asked for another. The breakfast buffet is included for Hilton Honors Gold Members. But even if not compted, it is a good value.
Since our flight was late in the afternoon, we didn’t need to leave for the airport until 2 o’clock. The hotel wasn’t too busy this particular Monday, so they were kind enough to let us check out late. The shuttle to the airport was prompt and delivered us safely with plenty of time to spare.
We often find ourselves staying near the Atlanta airport. From now on, the Double Tree is our first choice.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Scummy rooms - chipped paint, kind of dirty, door to bathroom got stuck opening. Shuttle guy is the best thing they have going. Wouldn't stay there again since there's so many choices near the airport. Really needs an upgrade. I usually like DT but this was more like a seedy manhattan ramada inn.

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 21, 2013

To qualify this review, I only spent about 5 hours in the hotel as I had an early flight to catch and didn't get in until late.

The lobby and eating area seemed fairly new; however my room did not have that same feel and the fixtures and touches were lacking. Bed was comfortable and the room was spacious. Didn't have time to taste breakfast, but the two staff members I encountered were cheery and friendly. Additionally, the shuttle drivers were top quality guys that aren't afraid to talk which is nice when you are the only one on the shuttle at 1am....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Badgertravlr
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I am a DoubleTree afficiando. I am normally pleased with my stays and enjoy staying at the DoubleTree brand. The Atlanta Airport DoubleTree left a little to be desired. Lobby is nicely done in clean modern lines and the chairs are extremely comfortable. Staff si friendly as a whole.

Check-in went well until I went to my room. Room/hallway smelt like smoke. After dropping my bags I went back to the front desk to inform the clerk. After I informed the young lady I was simply told smoking shouldn't happen on the 7th floor. I went on to my meeting and didn't fight. Ic hose to tough it out as I was there for only one night.

Next morning I had breakfast with members if the team. Breakfast was well done. Cooked to order omelettes had fresh ingredients and were very light. As we visited, three individuals stayed on the 7th floor as well. They also commented that they smelt smoke in their rooms/hallway. Makes one wonder if the 7th floor used to be smoking!

Meeting rooms were nice and the cold cut lunch was good.

I went to the front desk to reserve the shuttle to the airport. I was asked how my stay was at the DoubleTree. I replied that my room smelt like smoke. Not an acknowledgement or apology. Well below the normal DoubleTree level of service.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Got stuck in Atlanta overnight because of the snowstorm in Feb. Shuttles were fine and everyone complaining seems to think there should be a continual line of them going back and forth. They come exactly at the top and bottom of the hour. It is that simple. The room i had was clean and well appointed. It was quiet, the staff were friendly and the breakfast buffet was good. Never got near the pool since it was way to cold for that. Otherwise this is a very good hotel at a good price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Near airport; full service hotel, good service, friendly staff, all systems worked, good breakfast... all you really need... Parking charged extra, but watched all night... Nice interior, due to season - swimming pool out of question :-)

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Homewood Suites by Hilton Atlanta Airport North
The Westin Atlanta Airport
The Westin Atlanta Airport
#103 of 173 in Atlanta
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Airport North

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Atlanta Airport? Share your experiences!