“Location, location, location”

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown
Ranked #45 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed here on a visit to the Georgia Aquarium. When I checked out in the morning, I asked the clerk at the front desk for driving directions to the Aquarium. He told me I could just leave my car in their lot and walk, which saved about $10 in parking fees. By the way, it's about a 10 minute walk.
We found it clean and comfortable. The exercise room was better than I expected. Price is basically in line with the neighborhood.
Some other reviewers complained about the noise. This is a city location, and city streets are never really quiet. If this is going to keep you awake, stay a little further out and drive into town in the morning.
If I'm traveling to Atlanta for something downtown, I'll come back here.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,184)

Reviewed November 23, 2008

i really liked this hotel. Maybe because it was smaller,
quiet, and had a historical feel to it, yet with all the
comforts and amenities of a larger hotel chain. Check
in was uneventfull, booked online through AAA rate, which
was much better than other surrounding larger hotels.
This is a recenlty renovated historical building with interesting
rooms. The lobby has an Art Deco Feel with lots of windows
and sun. Every day there were different snacks in the lobby,
apples, oatmeal raisin cookiies. etc. Try to get a corner room.
My L shaped room had five almost floor length double hung
original windows with a great view of the city. Internet was
free in the room, nice TV with cable, Computer lap work station,
in room coffee/tea set up, and plenty of big soft bed pillows.
I was alone attending a convention at the Georgia World
Congress Center which I could walk to each day, so for
the price this was a great location, over the Weston and
Marriott which were across the street. The bathroom was
very large and well appointed with daily toiletries. I slept
well and never heard my neighbors which made it a very
quiet and restful place to return to at the end of a busy day
or evening out in Atlanta. A self serve Buffet type Breakfast
station was included in the room rate, off the lobby area.
The breakfast variety was quite nice and the staff were
always pleasant and helpfull. A nice touch, if you were
in a rush in the morning they had on the go Breakfast
Brown Bags which I though was quite considerate. There
is a Computer Room with internet and Printer on the first
floor free to use. This is a nice smaller hotel for a business
travelor.
My only complaint about my trip to Atlanta was the
horrible and disorganized transportation service from
the Airport to the hotels I pre-booked my shuttle, and
the lines were horrific, as well as the taxi lines. The
shuttle service was suppose to pick me up at the
Convention center to return to the Airport, but never showed,
so I as well as many others walked across the street
and took the Marta ( you will make 1 stop change) only
costs $1.75 one way which drops you off inside Hartsfiled
Airport. I'm not sure I would take it at night but it was fine
during the day . If you travel light take Marta and forget
the $16.00 shuttle services.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I went to Atlanta for the weekend and stayed at the Hampton since we've always had great experiences with them. Check in was a 3:00pm and we got there about 2:45, we were told our room was not ready yet. So we waited until 3:10 and went back and were told our room still was not ready to give it another 20 or 30 minutes. We eventually got into our room. The noise we expected as we did stay right on the street and the Mariott acroos from us offers valet parking and as your vehicle is ready they give 4 or 5 short horn blasts to announce the vehicle is ready. We woke up early the following morning to grab breakfast and check out since we were on a schedule. Upon attempting to leave there was no one at the front desk. It got to the point we had to leave or we would be late. Once we got home I saw where the the amount they were withdrawing was different than the amount on our receipt. They charged us $12 for room keys when there was no one at the front desk to take them! Other than that the staff was nice and if we ever need to go back to Atlanta we will stay at a Hampton or something in that chain of hotels, just not the one in Downtown.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2008

This seems to be where I end up when I have work to do in the Peachtree/Centennial Park area of downtown Atlanta. I'll frequently find the Omni and Embassy Suites booked up with conventioneers, but the Hampton will still have rooms in the price range that I'm willing to pay. The location is great for my purposes... within an easy walk of the Peachtree MARTA Station; also the Centennial Olympic Park with the Aquarium and the World of Coke. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant on site, but there are plenty of places to eat within walking distance. No rental car needed.

My room (807) on the top floor was small and crowded, but functional for one person staying two nights. It would have been a real problem for two of us. As with all Hamptons, they offer a complementary breakfast, which included egg, cheese, and bacon on half English muffins.

I was a little put out when I checked out early (5:30 AM) and no one was at the front desk. I finally dialed the front desk from the phone on the front desk, and a woman who appeared to be snoozing at the far end of the hall came to take my keys. Oh well, it was a quiet morning...

I do feel the hotel is somewhat overpriced for what I got... I paid $154 plus tax per night... but the location is exceptionally good for me and other hotels in the area are frequently sold out or higher priced.

I'll probably be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed July 30, 2008

We booked one night at the Hampton Inn because we've had good luck at Hampton Inns in the past and it was a good location for the things we wanted to do while in Atlanta - Aquarium, Coke Museum, Park, etc. Service was above average while we were there so I feel bad giving the hotel a low rating but the noise outside our room was hard to ignore. After walking around all day, we attempted to take a nap during the late afternoon but the street noise kept us from getting any real rest. The windows are old so that was one of the reasons we could hear so much but we couldn't figure out all the honking. The street isn't that busy but there was almost constant honking all afternoon and well into the night. So why all the honking? The Mariott is across the street from the Hampton and has valet parking. The valet parking lot is below the hotel and there is a blind turn into the lot so each time a car is going down or coming up the valet attendents honk three to five times to let everyone know they are coming through. It's a shame that my low review of the Hampton is due to the cheapness of the Mariott not buying a mirror to use around the turn but that's the deal. Perhaps a room that over looks the Hampton's parking lot and not the street would help. Our room was directly across from "the turn" so there was no escaping the honks.

We were happy with the location and the service at the Hampton so if you pick the Hampton, ask for that room in the back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank knshirle
Reviewed June 26, 2008

We stayed here June 21-22 while in town to see the Braves. The hotel is in a great location. Walking distance to two Marta stations, the CNN center, Centennial Park, The Georgia Aquarium and the World of Coca-Cola. Check in was easy, the front desk staff is very helpful and friendly. The lobby is nice and very clean. The elevators were pretty speedy and since we were staying on the 6th floor, that was important. I've stayed at other properties that the wait for the elevator was up to 5 minutes. The room was small but nice. However, I've stayed at a few Hampton Inn's that have flat screen TV's which seem to kick the feel of the room "up a notch", unfortunately this hotel still had an old bulky one. The bed was very comfortable (one of the main reasons we pick Hampton Inn). The shower was nice and hot (too hot actually...but after a long drive it felt nice). After the baseball game we returned to the hotel to get some rest. Unfortunately there was a group of kids staying in the hotel who obviously did not have enough chaperones to control them. They ran up and down the halls, the stairways and slammed doors. Also, the windows in the hotel need to be replaced. We were on the 6th floor, but could hear the street noise as if we were on the 1st. Neither of these things made it a restful night. My only other complaint is that parking is $16 and if you leave, you are charged an additional $16. If you are staying there over the weekend, I would forgo the parking fee and park next door in the garage (which charged a $6 flat fee for the whole weekend). Overall, a great place...but the windows definitely need to be upgraded and soundproofed for travelers to really enjoy this property.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2008

I have stayed at this hotel multiple times over the past few years. The property is always very clean, the decor is warm and inviting. The staff have always been very friendly and helpful. This is a downtown hotel so the rooms are a bit smaller than average. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business