“Friendly Staff, Good Location”

Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown
Ranked #42 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
“Friendly Staff, Good Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2014

We stayed at the Hampton Inn on Spring St in Downtown Atlanta. Great staff that was friendly and eager to see to your requests. Location was great for our visit and room was spacious. This was in an old building and that meant the rooms were bigger than what you would find in a modern built hotel. This location was close to the MARTA and foot travel was central to the downtown area. The room we had was a little worn and tired looking but everything was clean. When I travel to Atlanta again I would stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Turkish first
Richmond, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2014

My husband and I were fans of Hamptons and were beginning to think they were a chain you could count on to be across the board similar - you know what you're going to get and it's good! We'll not give up on Hampton's but we learned they are not all the same. We did not arrive in our Downtown Atlanta Hampton room until late. We hoped to settle in by watching a little tv (our specific favorite channel) and then head to bed but our television would not connect to any channel. We called the main desk. Security was sent by in ten minutes or so and was very nice but very rushed. He connected our tv by running through a series of complicated connection processes, then left it on the channel he thought we wanted and was gone in a flash before we had any understanding of what we needed to do to operate the television. My husband and I both are both are tech savvy but when you check in a hotel tired, you just want to turn on a tv and be able to change channels without trouble shooting the device. As soon as security was gone, we saw it was not on the proper channel and tried to change channels but the tv would not change to any other channel, not using the remote or the controls on the tv itself. We called the front desk again and the security man was called back and he was stuck too and left to get another remote after reprogramming the tv again. He returned after a time with a new remote. Again after his departure we experience another problem and he came back a third time to finally see that the tv was working correctly. The tv is not intuitive or user friendly! This whole process took over an hour and changed our stay in a negative way. Staff never followed up or apologized for the inconvenience. In the morning, breakfast was loud and not relaxing as a man (whom I'm not even sure was a hotel guest) was not eating or drinking but sitting and talking loudly on a cell phone on speaker at one end of the dining and staff spent some time vacuuming the entrance at the other end. Front desk staff did keep our luggage for us while we did some things in the morning but otherwise were not friendly and smiling or courteous. Overall, other than the convenient location which was great, my husband and I agree that this was a disappointing Hampton stay.

1 Thank Gayle M
161HamptonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear Gayle M,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. I appreciate your feedback and I’m sorry for the inconveniences you encountered during your time with us. We stand behind our 100% guarantee and I have refunded your Credit Card for the entire amount of your stay.

Again, I do apologize for the inconvenience and I hope you give us another chance to serve you if your travels bring you back to our area.

If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to call me at 404-589-1111

Crossville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on July 4th and July 5th. The best thing about this hotel is the fact that it is one of the closest hotels to the Olympic Park, CNN, World of Coke, and GA Aquarium area. It is obviously an older historic building that now houses this Hampton. The room we had overlooked the giant Ferris Wheel at Olympic park. We were only about two blocks from Olympic Park where the downtown 4th of July fireworks show was held. So the location is excellent.

We had an issue with the room's cooling system. When we got there the cooling was on, but the room was still in the mid 70's and stayed in that area until late at night. We told the front desk and they supposedly sent someone to look at it, but it never worked as it should have.

They charge you $20 to park in their lot. This is fairly common for the area. But on July 4th there was a major issue with some getting parking because of everyone coming downtown. They were directing many to an overflow lot. Just keep this in mind if you come on a day such at the 4th.

The breakfast was served until 10:00 on Saturday and Sunday. We got there about 9:50 just to find they were out of waffle batter. We waited a bit then asked the worker. She said they were about to close and would not fill this up again. However, they thankfully brought us several cups to make waffles.

All in all, if I am in this area of town, I would much rather stay at the Westin next door. But if the Westin is full, like it was this night, then the Hampton is certainly a good enough hotel in a great location.

Newnan, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

The people working at the front desk were very rude on the phone, hanging up on me and not solving the problem. Overcharged me for the one night stay. Charged my credit card twice for two different amounts. Charged my friend also for the room for even a different amount. Still has not been fixed.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Matt B,

As we discussed during our phone conversation, it is our policy to secure and authorize payment before keys are given to the hotel room. The Hotel only charged your card once at the end of your stay, the remaining or second charge you were referring to is a hold placed to ensure funds could cover the initial charge. All credit card companies differ with their release policy but most release their hold on your available funds within 3 to 5 business days.

I will also make sure my staff is made aware of the issues you experienced on the phone and use this incident as a learning example in our daily shift meetings.

Again, I do apologize for any inconvenience or confusion the additional authorization has caused and do hope you give us another chance to serve you if your travels bring you back to our area.

Honolulu, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

Good location, walking distance to main attractions, rail system, and many reasonable priced eating places. Room clean as expected. Breakfest is good and the service is great with "happy" employees. Will stay there again.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2014

Reserved a 2 queen and sleeper sofa room through Hampton Inn 3 weeks prior to our arrival in Atlanta. Upon arriving at the Downtown Atlanta Hampton Inn, my party and I were informed that our room reservation had been changed by hotel staff to a room with only 2 Twins beds. Our party was never informed of this change prior to arrival. When questioning this change, Ms. Tiffany Jones (front desk helper) told our party that it was our fault that our reserved room was unavailable because we had not arrived exactly at 3 p.m. check in. Through polite conversation, Ms. Ayana [--] (Supervisor) learned that our party had attended a local brewery for a tour early in the day. Ms. [--] told our party that "Maybe if you all sober up, you will accept the changes to your reservation more readily." Hampton Inn Downtown is a failure when it comes to fulfilling reservations that you request. When confronted, you will be blamed for all of their inadequacies. Enjoy your stay (or don't).

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

161HamptonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear Mike C,

I do apologize for any confusion regarding your reservation and the perception that you felt my staff expressed. I left a message on the phone number provided on your reservation.

As I stated in my message, if you would like to have further communication on this matter, I will be happy to speak with you on my personal phone number that I provided in the voicemail.

Woodbridge, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed here for my husbands family reunion. The hotel was nice and the service was great! The room was comfortable. A good size. My husband and I stayed in a room with one king bed. We had a great view of the ferris wheel by centennial park. The location was good there were plenty of restaurants in walking distance. The hotel charges as much as it does simply because of location though. The breakfast wasn't good. The only thing that was good was the waffle I made but they only had one waffle iron so lines were long the eggs were bad and I just wasn't a fan of the rest. But we didn't really have time to run out to grab breakfast before activies started but if you do I recommend going outside the hotel for breakfast. Everything else was fine.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family