“Poor Housekeeping”

Ranked #43 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Winston-Salem, United States
“Poor Housekeeping”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The staff was OUTSTANDING!! However, my duvet cover was not clean and when I placed it on the floor along with my dirty towels, it was placed BACK on my bed that night. Also, the sink leaked and the toilet paper holder broke and was never replaced the entire trip.

1 Thank April B
161HamptonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear April B,

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you for recognizing our staff. I sincerely apologize for the confusion on replacing your duvet during one of the nights of your stay. I appreciate your speed in bringing this incident to our attention and your comments will help to train our staff when an incident like this occurs.

I do hope the next time you return to the area you consider staying with us again so we can have another shot at providing a great hotel stay.

If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to call me at 404-589-1111

Andrew May – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Turkish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Location, ambience, and relaxation - those are the main positives I can mention about this hotel. I recently stayed here for about a week, and this was a good base to use while I attended meetings at the Marriott Marquis and explored the city. This Hampton is within walking distance of Peachtree Center, the Aquarium, Centennial Park, and too many restaurants and other entertainment choices to list. If the steep hills are too much for your tired legs, it's easy to hail a cab from the curb, pay a flat fee of $10 plus tip, then explore this part of the city.

This building was constructed in the late 1920s, and it's listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Art Deco ambience is obvious in the lobby, particularly with the mosaic floors, high ceilings, and light fixtures. This Hampton had a much more positive ambience to the breakfast area/lobby than any other Hampton I've visited. The hotel has approximately 120 rooms, yet the expansive and light-filled breakfast area/lobby never felt too crowded. In fact, this was a popular area 24 hours a day for surfing the Internet, watching TV, and playing card games. The area encouraged visitors to relax, unwind, and chat with other guests. Complimentary coffee, tea, and hot chocolate were always available in this area, while fruit and fresh cookies were sometimes available during the day.

Sometimes a hotel can control the unfavorable things that occur, and sometimes a hotel has no control. My room was on the side of the hotel near the Doubletree and Westin, and the traffic noise often reminded me of busy New York streets. A doorman at the Doubletree used a piercing whistle to attract taxis, and this didn't just wake me up, it kept me awake for several mornings. The streets and sidewalks near the Hampton Inn were sometimes torn up and made for very rough walking. An aggressive panhandler just outside the Hampton shared part of his day with me. Yet these are beyond the control of a hotel.

Then there are things that a guest would expect to be under the control of a hotel, particularly a Hampton Inn. The television service stopped working frequently, particularly when it rained. The water pressure for my shower was poor, the toilet kept clogging, and the sink stopper didn't work. Internet service frequently stopped working for a minute or two, then resumed. The breakfast eggs tasted fake. I reported a problem with the ice machine to a staff member on Tuesday, yet an out of order sign wasn't posted until Friday, and the machine still wasn't working by Sunday. Front desk staff encouraged me to use taxis from the hotel taxi stand, yet I didn't see any cabs parked there during my entire stay.

Despite these minor problems, I would recommend this hotel because of its location and ambience. This is not a boutique hotel, but it's better than most of the Hamptons I've used and a small step above three stars.

1 Thank redink46142
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned from two nights at the HI & S, where our stay was wonderful on ALL counts. We don't have a single complaint.

Staff and service: Invariably friendly, efficient and helpful.
Common areas: Clean, comfortable, pleasant, attractive.
Location: PERFECT. Walking distance to great restaurants, aquarium, CNN, Centennial Park, & other attractions.
Room: Attractive, comfortable, impeccably clean.
Complimentary breakfast and coffee/tea/water all day long are wonderful perks.

When we return to Atlanta, we won't even think about staying anyplace else!

Room Tip: We were in 610 and had a nice view of the Ferris wheel. Loved it!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank djoyps
161HamptonGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Downtown, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear dadapa,

Thank you for taking the time to post a wonderful review about your recent stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

I’m so glad you enjoyed your trip to Atlanta. Thank you for pointing out our convenient location to all the major attractions, hotel amenities and our friendly staff.

We looking forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta!

dameron, United States
Reviewed July 17, 2013

this was a last minute stay and this motel had the only room left for the night in downtown atlanta. i was pleasantly surprised . EVERYTHING WAS WONDERFUL from the service to the cleanliness of the room. i would definitely stay there again. just a short walk to the atlanta buyers market too!

Dear Mary Lou T,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

I’m happy you enjoyed your stay and found our location to be convenient to AmericasMart. Thank you for pointing out our friendly staff and cleanliness of the room.

Mobile, United States
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Wonderful stay in Atlanta for the 4th of July holiday. Wonderful hotel, great employees and when I had a billing issue after returning home the manager handled it without question. Would not hesitate to stay in Atlanta at this Hampton again and will certainly try others as I've never had a bad experience anywhere...but this hotel was exceptional. Thank you!

1 Thank Donna W
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Free breakfast was average. They offer suites at a reasonable price which is good if you are traveling with young children. Walking distance to aquarium and a lot of restaurants. A 10 min drive to the zoo. Staff was super friendly and helpful. Coffee and tea station always open, always a plus.

Room Tip: 5th floor still had lots of street noise.
3 Thank amyblc
Dear amyblc,

Thank you for taking a few moments to write a great review about your recent stay here at the Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta Downtown.

I’m so glad you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient and our staff courteous and helpful.

Please come back and stay with us again soon.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I chose the Hampton Inn Downtown Atlanta based on the reviews, but I have to tell you, I was a bit let down.

We stayed in Atlanta to attend a Braves game with the kids and then head home the next day. Our stay was for one night only, so we didn't need a lot out of a hotel. However....

Because of its location, there is no real covered entrance to pull your car under when checking in. When we arrived, it was raining hard, and we got soaked. Mother nature is what it is, but most hotels have some type of covered areas to help with this.

We checked in around 5 and planned to head on to Turner Field around 6. We called down to the front desk to check on a taxi and we were told by the attendant that he was busy and could we just call ourselves. Again, not a problem, just wasn't expecting that response.

When we got back from the Braves game, we realized that our televisions weren't working. We had a two room suite and neither tv was working. We did call down to the front desk to report it, but we never could get the tvs to work. We were scheduled to check out the next day, so we didn't worry about it. I figure the next person to stay there reported it.

And last, we had a corner room with an awful view - some building covered with graffiti, but again, for one night, not a big deal - however, the street noise was AWFUL!!! None of us slept. A trash truck (I suppose) came about 6 in the morning and made the most noise possible. I guess due to the corner on which our room was located, there was a lot of morning traffic. Lots of stop and go, and I do believe that we heard every.single.vehicle!!!

I rated this average because that's what it is. It's an average hotel. Nothing great, but not bad either. Just don't stay on the corner.

2 Thank GoEagles323
Dear GoEagles323,

I’m very sorry that we fell short of your expectations. My team takes great pride in exceeding guest expectations; clearly we dropped the ball on your stay. While I can’t control the Rain, I can control the guest service experience. You can be sure that I will review your feedback with my team so we can hopefully prevent this from happening again.

I certainly understand that you have many choices for lodging in the downtown area. I hope that you will consider staying with us again when you come into town for a Braves game in the future.

If you would like to discuss further, please feel free to call me directly at 404-589-1111