“Needs updating”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #131 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I are here now. The air conditioning is "out of season". We are on the seventh floor and yesterday we were both sweating while we unpacked. We had to sleep with the balcony door open to stay cool and our neighbors smoke was drifting in our room, plus the road noise below kept me awake most of the night. The bathtub is leaking, the mini fridge was loud and had to be unplugged, a lightbulb was out, the wallpaper is peeling, the ceiling is cracked and the elevator is broken. If we were staying for more than two nights I would have checked out right away. They do have high speed internet, the staff is kind and the bedding is cozy but I still wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2016

jillyan77,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed March 15, 2010

I spent 3 nights here, when it was rainy, cold, and dreary all day, every day. The first thing I appreciated, therefore, was the covered drive-up entrance, where I could get into and out of taxis without getting drenched. I was attending a conference at Georgia State University, so the location was very convenient. There were many restaurants nearby, offering a nice variety of choices. I felt safe walking to and from the conference sites. I was able to see a small number of homeless individuals in a nearby park, as is true in many downtowns in other cities, but I was not approached by anyone or asked for money. The hotel staff were attentive, although there were only 1 or 2 on duty at the front desk (e.g., they helped me print out my boarding pass, called a taxi for me, etc.). The complimentary breakfast buffet offered good, basic choices. The room was basic but perfectly clean and everything worked. Overall, I thought the Quality Hotel was a decent value.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

Dear GuestFromTheMidwest,

Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stayed at this hotel because we were going to an event at Philips Arena. I would not hesitate again to stay at this hotel. The staff was VERY friendly, helpful and knowledgeable of the area.

$10 parking fee is the only negative but our car was safe (over all)...
We were within walking distance of several places to eat and this is a fine place. There are NICER places but for the value, it was great.

Other rooms during this weekend were $130 and up and I got ours for $80

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends

wingslogo84,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed in Quality Hotel Downtown Atlanta for a couple of nights and it was fairly good. location was great, near by everything really (including the business district and the historic district), the room was very clean, comfortable and luminous and the service was satisfying. We actually booked the room in a web site called Last minute travel as the price we found over there was attractive so we had it all really- good quality lodging and a price suitable to our budget.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business

vistaworld,

Reviewed September 6, 2009

I was a little worried after reading the negative responses. But don't listen to them. This is an economy hotel in a GREAT location. We felt very safe walking to and from the Georgia Dome and on Peachtree Street from this hotel. Police and Ambassadors were on most every street corner. The hotel eventhough dated was very clean, neat, and efficient. The staff was wonderful and VERY helpful. The breakfast variety surprised us and was hot and ready when we were ready to eat. Our car suffered no damage in the parking garage but we were smart enough to remove any valuables just as we would in any parking garage or lot anywhere.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamperedpence

pamperedpence,

Reviewed July 20, 2008

Me and my dad stayed at the above hotel on July 19th. The hotel was decent, nothing spectacular but I wasnt expecting that... Check in was good, parking was good, BUT...We decided to walk to the Braves shuttle (Marta) and it was located at Underground Atlanta. It was a night game, but the walk over was okay, no problems whatsoever...But after the game is where the problems begin, we get on the shuttle fine, and it drops us off at the five points station.. Well everybody piles off the bus and goes into the tram station to board the train to go to their destination in other parts of Atlanta.. Well our hotel was just a few blocks from there so we decided to walk.. Bad idea, I'm not a racist by no means but we were the only white people for blocks and you could tell by the looks of people that we were in the wrong neighborhood!!! We had homeless people asking for money the whole way back and this one guy thought he was our guide or something as he decided to walk us back to our hotel but took us the long way as we werent familiar with the area....It got kinda nervewracking a few times on the walk back but the guy walking us back ended up being a nice guy, so I gave him a few bucks when we got back to the Hotel, not a moment to soon, I might add!!! We had a great time at the Braves Game but next time I think I will stay at one of the hotels next to the stadium or Buckhead where I feel more comfortable....Now if you are just there on business at Georgia State college or something, this hotel would be perfect as it is next door... The hotel itself is in a decent area but just go up 2 or 3 blocks and the freaks come out!!!! And I mean that in a good way!! :) :) The Braves lost 8-2 but I will be back, just not at this hotel.......Thanks

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Sabanholic,

Reviewed July 11, 2008

This hotel is an older property which is poorly maintained. All the staff seemed genuinely friendly. The issue with the property is housekeeping. I checked in with a group of 13 rooms. During our 2 night stay, we changed guest rooms 5 times. The first night - we changed 4 times - all due to poor house keepng issues. They consisted of dirty carpets, food found inside of an unslept in bed, food not vacuumed from behind the door, hair on the bed and on the inside of sheets, visible stains on the bottom matress, red jelly? on the comforter, etc. I was mortified. Finally at 11:30 PM, I was too tired to ask to change rooms again due to uncleanliness. I had planned to suck it up and just deal with the issues. Then the next day while we were out, we returned to our room and the ceiling in the bathroom had leaked and there was 1/2 inch of water on the floor. We were then again moved to a room with had house keeping issues. Had I not been with a group, I would have checked out before ever unpacking on the first night. I was sooooooo glad that my 2 year old was at home with his grandparents. I never would have allowed him to stay in such filth. Also, there were also large cockroaches on the breakfast bar one night while we were using the breakfast area tables to play cards. The next morning, I chose only to eat the packaged breakfast.On the morning we checked out, the asst. manager was very kind and properly refunded both nights of our stay. I would recommend paying an additional $100.00 more a night to stay in a hotel with real "quality".

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

scruffyandstuff,

I'm sorry this was your experience at our property. Thank you for your comments.