“Hotel was ok, but don't walk to the Braves shuttle at Underground Atlanta!!!!!”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #112 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Hamilton, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

Me and my dad stayed at the above hotel on July 19th. The hotel was decent, nothing spectacular but I wasnt expecting that... Check in was good, parking was good, BUT...We decided to walk to the Braves shuttle (Marta) and it was located at Underground Atlanta. It was a night game, but the walk over was okay, no problems whatsoever...But after the game is where the problems begin, we get on the shuttle fine, and it drops us off at the five points station.. Well everybody piles off the bus and goes into the tram station to board the train to go to their destination in other parts of Atlanta.. Well our hotel was just a few blocks from there so we decided to walk.. Bad idea, I'm not a racist by no means but we were the only white people for blocks and you could tell by the looks of people that we were in the wrong neighborhood!!! We had homeless people asking for money the whole way back and this one guy thought he was our guide or something as he decided to walk us back to our hotel but took us the long way as we werent familiar with the area....It got kinda nervewracking a few times on the walk back but the guy walking us back ended up being a nice guy, so I gave him a few bucks when we got back to the Hotel, not a moment to soon, I might add!!! We had a great time at the Braves Game but next time I think I will stay at one of the hotels next to the stadium or Buckhead where I feel more comfortable....Now if you are just there on business at Georgia State college or something, this hotel would be perfect as it is next door... The hotel itself is in a decent area but just go up 2 or 3 blocks and the freaks come out!!!! And I mean that in a good way!! :) :) The Braves lost 8-2 but I will be back, just not at this hotel.......Thanks

• Liked — Friendly employees
  • Disliked — Enviroment around the Hotel
  • Stayed July 2008
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2016
Sabanholic,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Enoch D.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Middle Tennessee
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2008

This hotel is an older property which is poorly maintained. All the staff seemed genuinely friendly. The issue with the property is housekeeping. I checked in with a group of 13 rooms. During our 2 night stay, we changed guest rooms 5 times. The first night - we changed 4 times - all due to poor house keepng issues. They consisted of dirty carpets, food found inside of an unslept in bed, food not vacuumed from behind the door, hair on the bed and on the inside of sheets, visible stains on the bottom matress, red jelly? on the comforter, etc. I was mortified. Finally at 11:30 PM, I was too tired to ask to change rooms again due to uncleanliness. I had planned to suck it up and just deal with the issues. Then the next day while we were out, we returned to our room and the ceiling in the bathroom had leaked and there was 1/2 inch of water on the floor. We were then again moved to a room with had house keeping issues. Had I not been with a group, I would have checked out before ever unpacking on the first night. I was sooooooo glad that my 2 year old was at home with his grandparents. I never would have allowed him to stay in such filth. Also, there were also large cockroaches on the breakfast bar one night while we were using the breakfast area tables to play cards. The next morning, I chose only to eat the packaged breakfast.On the morning we checked out, the asst. manager was very kind and properly refunded both nights of our stay. I would recommend paying an additional $100.00 more a night to stay in a hotel with real "quality".

• Liked — Proximity to great food
  • Disliked — It was very dirty.
  • Stayed July 2008
scruffyandstuff,

I'm sorry this was your experience at our property. Thank you for your comments.

milwaukee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2008

I was a little nervous after seeing some of the negative reviews on here. Don't be. You will not find a friendlier staff or better hotel for the money in any downtown area. The hotel is under new management that is working hard to address some of the problems noted below. While some still exist, the friendly and accoMmodating staff bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable.

The positives:

1. Unbelievable location --- only a 5 minute walk from Centennial Park, the aquarium, the Georgia Dome, etc.
2. Friendly, accommodating staff. For example
a. I was traveling with my two teenagers and was told by the booking agency that the room would accommodate 3, which I thought was a great deal at $95 a night. (Everything else downtown was in the $175-300 range). When we got there I found out that the room had two doubles and no couch or love seat to accommodate the third person. When I asked the Manager if they had other rooms that could accommodate 3 she apologized and said no, but she offered us a second room at only $50!
b. They validate parking at a garage across the street at the reasonable rate of $10 a day. When I lost my parking ticket one of the employees drove his car into the gate area so he could get me a new ticket for validation.
3. Clean, quiet rooms.
4. A good breakfast with waffles, eggs, etc.
5. Free wireless internet access and free business center with printer

The negatives:

1. The pool is shut down and unlikely to reopen any time soon.
2. There is only one elevator.
3. The sign out front is damaged, probably by this spring's tornado, so it says Q A ITY. Don't let it fool you. The hotel is QUALITY!

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank milwaukeedad
milwaukeedad,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2008

Don't stay here. I had money stolen from my room Hotel staff didn't even want to talk with me about it. Will never stay at another Quality Inn Again

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank MaineTitan
Maine Titan,

Phila. suburbs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2008

I couldn't believe we found a downtown hotel for avg. 88 dollars per night. It was clean, reasonably comfortable, had pleasant and friendly staff, and an ok breakfast. They have only one elevator, although this was not a problem to us on a Thurs. Fri. Sat. stay

If, like me, you find the coffee too watery, just walk up the street and get a Starbucks. Or, you could pay 80 more dollars per night elsewhere.

Unless you come to Atlanta for the amenities in your hotel, why pay double the amount at a 4-star hotel for stuff you don't use? If you need giant bathrooms and sauna-jets in the shower, and hot-tubs and exercise rooms, and internet connections and room service, look elsewhere.

Some reviewers sound very agitated about this hotel, but we were happy with the accommodations, and would stay at the Quality Inn again.

• Liked — Price and clean, comfortable accommodation
  • Disliked — Some noise from outside, watery coffee
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Magister_8
Magister_8,

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2007

I checked into the Quality Inn on Saturday afternoon in Downtown Atlanta. I stayed here because I had a free night from Choice Hotel Points. The location is very good as it is in the Farlie-Poplar district between the Peachtree Center and Five Points MARTA stations. The Rialto Theater and the Landmark Diner are ½ block from the hotel. The Quality Inn is a basic 2 star hotel that has a friendly front desk, cheap parking ($10 per day) and a free breakfast that featured hot eggs, bacon and sausage. I liked the hotel because it was clean and in a very safe location. Parking was across the street. The other big hotels on Peachtree Street are just 3 blocks away and Underground Atlanta is 5 blocks.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A little worn around the edges
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank porcupine150
porcupine150,

Rochester, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2007

I was in Atlanta to attend a large conference at the GWCC. The Quality Hotel offered a great price (gov't employee rate), and a reasonable walking distance to the GWCC.

The Room: Nothing fancy, but comfortable, with the amenities and furnishings one can reasonable expect for a two-star hotel. I wish they had an outlet or two to spare. If you leave all the lamps, TV, coffeemaker, etc. plugged in, there's no available outlet for your laptop, etc. A/C was good. Free Wireless Internet was nice. Even though there was only one elevator, it always seemed to come quickly.

The Staff: Accommodating. In general, didn't go out of their way, but provided an acceptable level of service. I appreciated that they were able to store my bags before my room was ready, and after I'd checked out.

The Location: In downtown Atlanta, you can feel perfectly safe on one block, and ill-at-ease on the next. If you're unaccustomed to walking urban streets where homeless people will sometime try to engage you in a conversation, downtown Atlanta may be uncomfortable for you. The Quality Hotel is a bit further from the action than the glitzier hotels, but certainly within walking distance. Homeless people will sometimes offer you directions (or walk you to your destination) in hopes of a tip. I can't say I felt unsafe, just uncomfortable with the number of people who tried to engage me while walking from A to B. The hotel is very convenient to MARTA's Peachtree station (be sure to take the escalator to Ellis St., not Harris).

The Buffet: I didn't expect much more than a plate of danish and a couple pots of coffee, but this is where the Quality Hotel really surprised me. This buffet had bagels with cream cheese, cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt, juices, hard cooked eggs, scrambled eggs, sausage patties, and make-your-own waffles. Tanya, the woman who runs the buffet is sweet, warm, and accommodating. Seeing her interact with the guests is half the pleasure of visiting the buffet; Tanya is perhaps the hotel's greatest asset.

Because I've stayed in much fancier accommodations on other trips, I feared I might be too spoiled to enjoy my stay at the Quality. While the Quality Hotel didn't blow me away, it offered a great value and met my expectations (even exceeded them in some respects).

• Liked — The buffet and the price
  • Disliked — The neighborhood was a somewhat depressing scene
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
8 Thank Bill_NY
Enoch D, Front Office Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2016
Bill_NY,