“Great Location.... Great Staff... A Second Home”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #121 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I recently moved to Atlanta and due to an unfortunate incident had to move in to a hotel for about 8 days while my place was getting ready. Initially I stayed at the Best Western Inn at Peachtree for a couple of days but then had to move out of there as it was costing too much. That is when I moved in here.

To start with the staff is absolutely amazing. They actually make you feel at home. Vanessa was the first person I came in contact with when I checked in and she was an angel about everything. Even helped me get a better room rate and advised me on whatever I needed. Chata was another amazing person on the front desk who would go as far as saving me coffee if I missed breakfast due to meetings and work. Greta was awesome and let me put my luggage in her office just to be sure that nothing happened to it when I was checking out and could not take my luggage immediately.

All in all it is good place to stay in downtown Atlanta. It is by far the cheapest hotel there and is right opposite the Rialto Center for Arts. The rooms are comfortable albeit a bit old. The hotel is surrounded with a ton of places to eat and is a stone’s throw away from the Centennial Park and World of Coca Cola. To sum it up, it is a homely place to stay and is very affordable but do not expect it to be a lap of luxury like the Westin or the Marriott, it is a Quality Inn at the end of the day and is probably one of the best ones in that category.

Room Tip: Choose the room that over looks the Rialto Center... the other side overlooks a parking lot so not a...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

AdnanR,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review and tell your story. I hope all is well with the house and you have found Atlanta to be a great place to live.

Best Wishes,

There are newer reviews for Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The first person I met was Vanessa at the front desk. There was a customer in front of me when I arrived and the phone was constantly ringing. Ms. Vanessa never lost her cool and was courteous the whole time with those at the desk and those on the phone. Very pleasant experience checking in and out(she was there when we left as well.)
The lady that cleaned our room was Wanda. I met her in the lobby the first day and asked her for directions to the MARTA. She came over and talked with me and my granddaughters. Very pleasant and was "dead on" with her directions. We were met with a genuine smile the next morning when we came down from the lobby. She remembered us from the day before.
Ms. Zindi was the lady serving the breakfast that morning. Again, just as personable and pleasant as the other women mentioned above.
We would definitely return to this hotel and these three women are a large part of that decision.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Jerry Z,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review and give a shout out to Vanessa, Wanda, and Ms. Zindi. Your kind words are appreciated.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Their free breakfast is terrific, location is great, and their king sized bed was fresh and new...it is an older hotel, so they need to spend some additional time on maintenance - e.g. the toilet in my room ran constantly, and you had to jiggle the handle to stop it.
Having said that, the brighest spot at the hotel was Vanessa at the front desk - she could not have been more helpful to me - looked up, and printed (by hand, and without being asked) the MARTA schedule for me from the stop nearest the hotel, and also gave me a MARTA card to use...just great - it seemed like she was an old friend after only a few minutes!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

cal0662,

Thank you for telling us about your experience while you stayed with us. Vanessa appreciates the shout out and your kind words. If you are back in Atlanta, we hope you'll stay with us again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed August 6, 2013

The hotel is conveniently located near Centennial Olympic Park, the GA Dome and the GA World Congress Center. The biggest downside was that there are not separate a/c units in each room which made the climate of the room VERY uncomfortable. Chata, the clerk that helps us check in was MORE than helpful and informative, however when we checked out the next morning the clerk was VERY RUDE and acted like she didn't really care, and that we were inconveniencing her. We were in room 209 from July 26th and checked out on July 27, 2013.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard L

Richard L,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Some friends and I rode the Mega-Bus from Nashville to Atlanta to go to a photograpy convention and we stayed at this Hotel. It was a great find. Yes I will be honest, it could use some updating to the rooms. Out air could have worked a little better. It had had a great view, because we were on one of the higher floors. The staff was really fun too. I do not know if it was because there ended up being a playoff game that weekend or what, but there was almost always police officers in the lobby dining area. They were taking a break yes, but if something happened they were right there. Helped to feel very protected. It was walking distance to many of the attractions in Atlanta like the CNN and aquariuum. And I have never been fed as well as the breakfast that was served the next morning to the guests. My friend booked it through Priceline and so the price was very reasonable. I will stay there again when I go back to visit Atlanta.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

coxthatrox,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

This hotel was ok, old could us some up dating! Vanessa at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Very good choices for breakfast . And the coffee was fresh. The hotel was very close to all the downtown activities. It was in walking distance to the CNN building and a park. The price was very reasonable for our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

ecountryman,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff, and were able to take advantage of and enjoyed our breakfast options. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Just stayed for two nights .This is a old hotel with problems, The first room I was given had a large hole in the carpet at the foot of the bed. I Went down an told the lady at the front desk.. of course she acted like she new nothing about it . Said she would give us another room . I was really just wanted to let her know so I would not be charged for damages. But we took the other room anyway ,it did how ever smell better and look cleaner . Talking about smell , there is a musty smell in the hall ways . I only went to the 9th and 10th though. Don't let them put you in a room facing Luckie street. There is a lot of construction goin on . They start at 7 am and you will be woke up. The Hot water In our room on the 9th would not work correctly .It was luke warm then got real hot . my wife was almost scaulded. The second morning .no one on that floor had hot water . I had to take a cold shower. I want to say also be careful in the elevator The door closed very quickly. Now for some good. the staff is very nice. Everyone is real helpful , I give them a+ .The hotel is in a great location . walking distance to every thing . like the aquarium underground Atlanta but don't waste ya time there. the lobby is nice and the breakfast was good . The price of under a $100 a night for downdown . I recommend this hotel if your on a budget like me and you can over look its problems.

Room Tip: ask if the construction is finished in front of hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple