“Good for those on a budget”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #122 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed February 23, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night in mid-February. My reason for choosing this hotel was because of it's price and central location. When I checked in, I was initially given the key to a room that had not been cleaned yet. After going back to reception and letting them know, they apologized profusely and transferred me to a different room. Ms. Greta at the reception was very friendly and even remembered my name when she saw me later in the afternoon.

My room was of a standard size for budget hotels - not huge but not too small either. The room was clean, quiet, and had all of the basic amenities e.g. tv, hairdryer, alarm clock. The shampoo and conditioner were smaller than average and smelled a bit weird so I ended up using my own from home. My room was on the 8th floor and looked out over a parking lot; however I could also see some of the Atlanta skyline which was nice. The room furnishings and the bathroom both showed some signs of aging but as others have remarked this is not a new hotel. Breakfast in the morning was good and consisted of an assortment of cereals, joghurt, apples, eggs, sausage patties, gravy, muffins, danishes, juices, and bread.

The most negative point about this hotel was that starting dinner time, the hot air that came from my room's wall heating unit smelled strongly of fried food (chicken perhaps?). When I went to bed at 9:30 the smell was still coming into my room. In the morning the smell was gone or maybe I had gotten desensitized to it.

I paid $80 for the night and would probably go back if I had to stay in downtown Atlanta again and was on a budget.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

nitronium,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff, and were able to take advantage of and enjoyed our breakfast options. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

There are newer reviews for Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Upon checkin in the sales Manager greeted us with a smile and a good welcome,(were from chicago) she ask how was the drive and made sure we had a cart to put the luggage on. Check in was a breeze, the staff was swift. everyday the room was clean and well kept the grounds of the hotel was clean. you could always find help if you need it because the staff treated you like family, I would llike to theank Greta Berry for a great stay thank you love vicki and devon of chicago,il.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

devon h,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

You don't expect to stay in a downtown hotel in a large city and have the staff call you by name when they see you, but it happens here. Manager Greta Berry and her staff will do anything to make your stay enjoyable, and if there is a problem, it is rectified immediately. The hotel, while not a brand-new upscale boutique hotel, is clean, quiet, and offers excellence and value. It is convenient to anything downtown, and is the only place we will stay when we're in the city on business. The breakfast selection is well above average, and the beds rank up there with those at higher-priced chains. Thanks for a great visit....we'll be back!

1  Thank bigsquirt

Jim P,

Reviewed January 25, 2013

If you are not after hoity-toity decoration and atmosphere, choose this hotel. The staff is welcoming and warm, super-friendly and helpful. You'll find plain down-home Southern graciousness. The breakfast was full of variety and we even got hot cookies out of the oven while waiting for our taxi. The room was small but quiet and had everything we needed for our business trip that included meetings at the convention center...only 6 blocks away. The short morning walk was invigorating. The aquarium is close too. We ate three times at the little Mediterranean eatery only 1 block up the alleyway from the hotel.

1  Thank Karen D

Karen D,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three days and wished we could of stayed three more!! Greta Berry made our family feel welcome, comfortable, and important. She serviced our family to every want and need we could think of. The hotel was clean and comfortable. The contential breakfast was great. Overall, the stay was perfect. I think the best part of this stay was the staff. Greta was very receptive to our child and he loved his time here. Thanks Quality Hotel. The Malott Family

Room Tip: Great on all except showers and no pool
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Ray M,

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my group of about 30 for the passion conference. The hotel is conveniently located within walking distance from the GWCC, CNN center, and the GA Dome. The price was good but the best part of the hotel was the sales manager Greta Berry and her excellent staff. I felt that the staff went above and beyond to meet any needs we had. Greta even made hot chocolate chip cookies for our group!

1  Thank Joey T

Joey T,

Thank you for your kind words about our staff, especially the mention of Greta! I hope if you are back in town again, we'll be your hotel of choice.