“Average hotel and great location but needs improvement”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #112 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Average hotel and great location but needs improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

The hotel has a great location! Walking distance from all major attractions.

Service is impeccable, everyone is really nice and willing to help you with anything you need. We arrived really late and still were greeted by a very nice lady who gave us a nice welcome and recommendations about what to do in the city.

The hotel needs work with their cleanliness, we found one of the towels with stains but the rest were fine. Also it could use new painting, some parts seem really old.

Overall it's a good hotel for a short trip in a downtown Atlanta location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, August 26, 2016
Valeria T,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your interactions with our staff. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. We do love our location downtown and I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy our proximity to local attractions. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Enoch D.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

Stayed here five nights during a conference at the Georgia World Congress Center. That being the reason for the stay, a downtown location was a MUST, and this hotel's prices were significantly lower than any others. It had all the amenities we require, with mostly good service -- but the place still needs some work.

The place has apparently been a hotel for a long time, and (despite some efforts) has that tired look of such places. For example, there is only one, small elevator for an eleven-story building. The drain plugs in both the tub and the sink failed to fully plug the drain. The ice machine on the 10th Floor didn't work, so I had to get ice from the 9th Floor.

By making reservations far in advance, we got a room on the 10th Floor (specifically, 1022) with a nice view. That room had full bath, coffee-maker, AC, iron & board, radio alarm, hair dryer, and TV with 64 channels. The room was clean, quiet, and well-stocked. However, the wall unit controlling the room temperature was obviously decades-old, and seemed to be wired backwards. Blown heat (somewhat noisy) would only come when the switch was set to "Cool" (someone seems to have written "H" on that setting) and when the thermostat setting was put at above the temperature gauge. We got heat after phoning for assistance, but this is something that should not require a maintenance call.

Free hotel amenities included wi-fi, local phone calls, newspaper & coffee in lobby, PC with printer, and a full, self-serve, hot breakfast buffet. There is no pool, I did not visit the exercise room, and I did not have a car so I did not have to pay extra for parking. Since the hotel is a mere two blocks from an entrance to a MARTA Station, and a fifteen minute walk to the Congress Center (and other downtown places), you probably do not need a car when staying here.

My first walk was along Luckie Street, towards the CNN Center. On this walk I was surprised by the seeming barren nature of the streets -- there didn't seem to be any evidence that people lived here, that they only worked here and parked here. It was only later, when I walked on Luckie Street in the opposite direction (and turned onto Broad Street) that I discovered an area where you could eat a meal, watch a game, and buy sundries. Be aware, however, that (1) almost all places even in this area close at 8 pm and earlier and (2) there are a lot of homeless in the area. It's not a place for late night bar hopping -- although security at the hotel seemed more than adequate.

Staff was, for the most part, VERY friendly and helpful. However, one request for the front desk to simply call a taxi was met by the clerk saying that we didn't need to do so! I was quite taken aback that we had to go to our room to call for a cab.

If looking for first-class accommodations near a lot of night-life, you should probably go to places near the Peachtree Center -- and pay a LOT for doing so. For adequate, budget lodging, this fits the bill perfectly.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RabePaul
RabePaul,

Thank you for your thorough and detailed review and accounting of you experience while staying at our property. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

I attended a conference at the Georgia World Conference Center next to the CNN Bulding and found the hotel ideally located. It was less than a 10 minute walk. The hotel was very clean and quiet for sleeping. The price was great compared to other downtown hotels. The breakfast was also very good.

Room Tip: I asked for a room on the "quiet side" and it was. The view was looking at the wall of an...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Snowbirds2
Snowbirds2,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

The famous Greta from many reviews was not there but Chanta was wonderful. She went out of her way to help any way she could. The other person behind the desk my last nite there wasn't very helpful at all -- maybe because I was interrupting her TV show.... Anyway, the breakfast was great! The rooms a bit dated but clean. Oddly the last day I was only left one towel and the person behind the desk said she couldn't get me another b/c housekeeping hadn't left her any. Hmmmm, again the TV show? Location was excellent and 10$ taxi service anywhere in city was a deal!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
G2inParadise,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

The location was great but I was out-done with the level of service I received from the entire staff. From the time I made the reservation until check out the front desk staff and sales team made my entire party feel welcome ... Thanks to Gretta Berry and the Quality Hotel downtown Atlanta ... We will be back and you have EARNED my business .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ron L
Ron L,

Prairieville, lousiana, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

Went to Atlanta with my friends for a weekend get a way and see atl. This hotel was and in a very good spot despite the out date carpert. The staff was excellent any minor problems that we may have had was quickly forgotten b/c the staff was just the best. They went out there way for each guess and treated them as family. Vanessa was the first person we spoke with over the phone and she was a ball of sunshine. We all meet Mrs. Greta Berry who was just like having a mom around making sure everything was good and made sure we enjoyed ourself. she also went out here way by baking us cookies. i also donr want to for get the housekeeping manger who made sure we had extra blankets clean towels and just being a great person. I will recommand this hotel to everyone. special thanks to the staff for the great experience and making my trip a joyful time. All the way for Prairieville, Louisiana

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Bruce M,

Edmonton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Went to Atlanta Georgia for a convention and was hoping to be within walking distance to the World Congress Center. The Quality Hotel was within a 10-15 minute walk and seemed to be reasonably priced. It's dated and they floors (carpet) needed to be better maintained. They vacuumed daily, but neglected to get between the nightstands and the bed. The comforter had a couple of cigarette burn holes in it, despite being a non smoking room. Keeping this in mind, I just had to check the mattress as I had concerns and was please to say that the mattress was fairly new and didn't show any indications of unwanted visitors. I was on the 10th floor and was overlooking Luckie Street. The view as Ok. I wasn't pleased with the leaf blower going off at 5:30am one morning to clear a public parking lot next door. Other than that, the sleeping accommodations were comfortable. The bed was firm and they had 5 regular sized pillows. I did like that. I was disappointed that there was no pool. The breakfasts they offered were decent (continental style as you make your own), I do enjoy the waffles whenever I go south.

If you're looking to go to an NFL game, your in luck as the Georgia dome is also next door to the the convention center making it only a 10-15 minute walk from the Hotel. 10-15 minutes east of that, your at the Aquarium. This place is huge and worth a visit.

Eats; East of the Hotel about 2 blocks is Peachtree street. Several restaurants are along this strip. If your looking for good old fashioned southern food, you must check out Pitty Pats Lounge. Excellent value and the food was awesome.

The Juke Joint is a nice place to go if you want some after dinner entertainment. Generally a blues/jazz band is playing nightly. Be sure to try the authentic Moonshine by having a Blackberry Lemonade. After the first one, you won't remember how many you had after that.

Be careful along the streets as there are several "panhandlers" looking for money and they're quite bold and creative in asking. Just ignore them and they'll go away.

Room Tip: The 5 pillows they provided made for a comfortable sleep.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business