“Great staff, shabby rooms”

Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #120 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Every staff member we met in the four days we stayed in this downtown hotel was friendly, helpful, and courteous. The price was wonderful. The location is excellent, off the main street in a relatively quiet area within walking distance (2-5 blocks) to the Convention center and downtown area. They had a small crime incident (not the hotel's fault) in the lobby the evening we were there and they handled the problem professionally. The problem at this hotel is that the property needs renovation. The rooms have shabby carpet and the beds have reached maturity. We stayed there three years ago and nothing much has changed. I won't go back next time I have business in Atlanta.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2016

RoaminHome,

Thank you for your review. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our service level, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed February 22, 2012

We stayed here while in town for a concert at the Tabernacle, which is about a block away from the hotel. It was also within walking distance to Centennial Park, CNN center, and some touristy restaurants (Hard Rock, Montana Grill, and Tequila Charlie's).
Now for the bad news : We had to wait to check-in until about an hour after check-in time. We were told that this was due to rooms not being cleaned yet. While we waited, we observed multiple members fo the housekeeping staff wandering around and talking on cell phones. No one seemed concerned with all the guests waiting to check in. The front desk staff was friendly, but unprofessional. Multiple people lodged complaints about still not having towels at 3 pm, and were told by the staff that there was nothing they could do. One of the desk staff even brought her infant child to work with her. The property is very dated and in need of some maintenance. The outlet in our bathroom did not work. The shower required you to continuously adjust the temp as it went from scalding hot to freezing cold without warning.
I would still consider staying here again, but only for the sake of convenience, and for no more than one night.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends

4evrnblujns,

Reviewed February 8, 2012

Hotel is old and has not been updated. The carpet and bathroom was subpar... For 80 bucks I wished we would have just added an additional 20-30 and stayed some place I didn't mind taking my shoes off. Good thing its for one night...

• Stayed: February 2012

FamilyAdventurer1,

Reviewed February 6, 2012

Just stayed here Feb '12. Not a horrible place for the $. I paid $85 for the room and it's right in downtown atlanta next to the marriot. Usually the location at lone would command $100 minimum per night. Parking was confusing. i don't like to pay for valet so I opted to park my car alone when I pulled up, and about 100ft down the street from the main entrance is a parking garage in the same bldg, so I parked there ($15 a day). Upon walking to the desk to check in I was informed their parking garage is cheaper, but it's located caddy corner across the st to the hotel (weird?). The desk clerk tried to convince me to go get my car from where it was parked and pull it into their garage - again, weird. I was put on the 9th floor (elevator is pretty shoddy - as soon as it stops at a floor the doors immediately open and shut to keep going, be careful). The room wasn't too bad. Decent size. Old tv, pretty visually unappealing. Bathroom was full of hairs, everywhere. Also there was a bucket under the sink to deal with a leaking pipe. I'm usually low maintenance and don't mind the occasional spot or hair, but this room just felt really dirty and gross. The bed was the worst part. Although it was a king, it was horribly uncomfortable. Worst back pain of my life in the morning.

Fitness center is a joke. Although spacious, it has a treadmill and a bike, and a multi gym weight tower in the middle, that is in awful condition and all of the cables are broken. I didn't even bother working out there. Breakfast was modest. Literally ice cold pastries, watered down juices, do it yourself waffles, and reconstituted eggs. Breakfast starts at 6 and I got there at 6:30, and a kid that apparently worked there (no id/uniform) was scrambling to set everything up - I'm guessing he was late for work. Other people he was hanging out with and eating with (other employees or his friends?) were also there chatting and having a good time. Very strange, I don't think they were guests, and I think it is inappropriate for the employees to be eating breakfast with guests.

Again, for the price I'm really not complaining, you get what you pay for. Location isn't too bad either. Had I paid more of this was a more prestigious brand hotel, I'd be writing a letter to the CEO.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank shaunbsc

shaunbsc,

Reviewed January 17, 2012

I booked my whole family to stay at the convenient downtown Atlanta. They could not spend one night there, as the rooms had NO A/C. it was January, and the temperature was on the 70's outside, so inside it was just the heater working, or nothing. No windows to open (FIRE ESCAPE HAZARD!). The water in shower was YELLOW!. Smelled bad, probably because of poor air circulation. Still trying to get my money back from my pre-paid book arrangements, plus parking. Nightmare for my family...

Room Tip: Moved to Wingate by Wyndham - Kennesaw. Far from Downtown, but good quality, large rooms, good break...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank karol_monteiro
Enoch D, Guest Relations Manager at Barclay Hotel Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2016

karol_monteiro,

Reviewed December 11, 2011

This was our second visit to this hotel in 2 years' time and it was just as wonderful as the first! Although this hotel is older, the lobby, rooms, etc. are clean and well kept. The staff is over the top friendly,helpful and treat you as a special friend every time you walk in the door. The rooms we have had their, both an interior and streetside, have both been very quiet with wonderful views on each side. The rates are reasonable and self park is available for $15/day right across the street. There is a pub and a great little restaurant within the next block and it is about a 15 minute walk to the Georgia Dome. This will always be our "hotel of choice" when we visit Atlanta!

Room Tip: The Poplar side is a bit quieter than the Luckie Street side, but considering you are in the heart o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank imayankee1952

imayankee1952,

Thank you for your review. I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to see you again when you next travel to Atlanta. Since your stay, we have been actively working to improve our services, responsiveness, and the functionality of our products to ensure things are operating as they should. We have been updating and upgrading our rooms and the general appearance of our property. I hope you have safe travels in the future.

Reviewed December 10, 2011

The staff at the Quality Inn are superb! Terri is very friendly and interesting. She has a lot of local knowledge tht was helpful to us when we were traveling the city. She gave us good recommendations on where to eat, site see, and hang out. The rooms were decent. The morning breakfast is delish. Overall, we had a good time.

• Stayed: September 2011