“Very nice older Hotel”

Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #72 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed February 13, 2011

We stayed here in early January of 2010 and were really surprised at the quality of this hotel. The rooms were super clean. We had a great view of the city and was with in walking distance to the Aquarium. The employees were super nice people and very helpful to our needs. They also had a nice fitness center and probably the best free breakfast that I have ever had.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed January 10, 2011

The Residence Inn-Downtown in Atlanta is located in a historical building and has managed to keep the lovely original millwork and design without sacrificing modern comforts. This hotel is conveniently located within walking distance to shops and restaurants.

We had a two bedroom, two bath suite complete with kitchenette. The rooms were exceptionally clean and beautifully maintained throughout our three day stay. The staff were accommodating and pleasant, eager to assist their guests.

We were in Atlanta for a very cold weekend in December and although the temperatures were biting cold, the parking valets were on the job smiling and quick to answer questions, give directions, retrieve our car, etc.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 21, 2010

My friends and I stayed for 3 nights and all of us were glad to book this hotel. We didn't have any difficulties during check-in and check-out process. CCN Studios, Georgia Aquarium, and the World of Coca-Cola is just walking distance. The Philips Arena and the Olympic Centennial Park are also within walking distance. There was a library nearby but we didn't get to check it out. Complimentary breakfast was good, at least one doesn't have to go out and look for a place to have one. There is a Dunkin' Donuts though just a few steps away. The nearest MARTA train station is a few yards away, but we didn't take it to go around. We opted to take the cab instead to go to the malls, which are about 12-15 minutes away. Splitting the fare among the 4 of us, we paid around $4-7 each. Cab fare to or from the airport is $30 flat rate, with $2 per each additional person, so we saved with the fare, instead of taking the shuttle which is $16/person one way to or from the airport. The cab drivers in the area are generally nice, especially the ones from Ethiopia. We found Rapid Taxi cab drivers were one of the more courteous ones.

We went to the Fernbank Museum of Natural History and the Atlanta History Center, which cost us $6-7 each for the cab ride (remember that there were 4 of us to split the fare). Both places are very good ones to visit.

Our room had 2 queen sized beds. We were quite happy with the general appearance and cleanliness. Staff were courteous and friendly, and they were helpful with whatever requests we had.

There's a free access to a fitness center in the hotel but due to our hectic schedule we were not able to use it. We did take a peek and it looked a good place to work out.

If I have to make another trip to Atlanta, yes, I would definitely like to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I don't typically write hotel reviews, but thought that the service I received during the 3 months I stayed here was worthy of public praise.

I stayed at this Residence Inn a total of 45 nights over a 3 month span - typically Sunday through Thursday. Within a few days, the front desk staff already knew my name and said hello every time they saw me. The free breakfasts and manager happy hours can't be beat - I know I drank more than my fair share of wine between the hours of 5:00 and 7:00 every night. The GM, Christine, offers a walking tour every Tuesday night to show travelers the general area and offer tips on restaurants, sights, and other activities. The tour is followed by free champagne in the lounge.

Other noteworthy examples...
- The valet guys out front always did a great job of tracking down taxis for us
- William and Michael at the front desk were always accomodating and truly made me feel welcome
- Michelle, one of the sales managers, called me at work the last week I was there to offer tickets to a Hawks game that week

I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a place in the downtown Atlanta area. It may not be the newest or prettiest place - buyt you can not beat the customer service!!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Hotel was a good value. Our package was slightly higher than some comperable places but it included parking ($23-$28 per night at some other hotels), Free WiFi ($12-$15 at some other places), hot breakfast included each morning (w/ a family of 4 this is a big savings), and a light dinner during mon-thurs. With all this taken into concideration, it was much less expensive than any other downtown property we found. The hotel was nice, location was great, and the staff was great. The living room area was small but the overall sive of the room was good. The cleaning staff could use some training though. The room was not filthy but was not as clean as I would have liked.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I booked this hotel as part of an anniversary present for my husband, two months in advance. We were attending a concert at the Phillips Area, located within walking distance. I am a Marriott Rewards member and picked this hotel because of that and the location solely. I was required to pay upon booking, completely nonrefundable and it came with a very hefty price tag. All of which were okay because it was such a special event. Three hours before check-in, I received a phone call informing me they were overbooked and would be moving us to another hotel. They did offer to reimburse us and pay for our night at the new hotel but the issue was that we now were more than 5 miles away and out of walking distance completely altering our plans. After pleading my case to a manager, they also did offer to pay for our transportation inconvenience but as everyone knows, finding a cab after a concert can be quite difficult. I was basically informed that they had several guests decide to extend their stay and a convention caused several platinum members to "push their way in" as she described it, forcing us out. It had nothing to do with our booking date, solely our arrival date, but we still couldn't have been the only ones arriving that date, booked that far out that were moved.

We checked into the new hotel and I was asked for a transfer letter, which I was never given and created a delay in them being able to process us and only to find out that they were out of King bed rooms and queens, King being what I had originally booked at the Marriott. We had to sleep separately in two full beds for our anniversary. The first room put us in also smelled like smoke, but they were very nice about that and moved us right away. I was so incredibly disappointed and did my best not to let this ruin our night but we also had issues finding the Marriott after the concert to actually collect the transportation reimbursement since we hadn't been there before. Our valet parking at the hotel was more expensive than it would have been at the Marriott as well. Then to top it off, when we checked out, I was accidently charged the room amount, which I discovered to be more than $50 cheaper than the room I had originally booked. I'll be waiting to actually see that reimbursement on my credit card bill next month since everything seemed to be handled very poorly from start to finish.

I know that this was something that was out of the hotel's hands but I just can not get over how poorly it was handled.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 21cowgrl
Reviewed November 17, 2010

Got a great AAA weekend rate which was a fraction of what my convention hotel group rate was. Full suite with kitchenette. Room needed vacuming (which they did after I asked). Heating and cooling system tricky at best. Room temperature hard to regulate. Staff had a hard time figuring it out. Setting has to be auto, not on, to work. Who knew?

Breakfast excellent with my favorite kind of yogurt. Pack light and use the laundry machine for 1.25. Across street from Marta which goes to airport for just 2.50. Warning-walking to Midtowne up Peachtree unsafe. Take Marta instead. Also avoid cabs. Tjey hjave a minimum charge of 8 dollars plus 2 dollars per person to go anyhwere downtown. A rip off.

Overall-
Best deal in downtown Atlanta.
Free internet on free computer
Professional. Helpful staff