“Mixed bag: Nice property, friendly staff, but...”

Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #74 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed March 9, 2010

The Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown is a nicer than average establishment. The staff was exceptionally friendly, and the property is in a charming building that is on the National Register of Historic Places.

The address of the hotel, unfortunately, is not the address of the most used entrance--and the one where valet parking is located. The building is on a trapezoid-shaped block, and the entrance is directly opposite Peachtree Street on Forsythe Street. If you're headed south on Peachtree, you cannot turn right on Williams, the street immediately after the hotel; instead, you must go one more block to turn right on Luckie, then right on Forsythe. The Residence Inn is then one block north on your right.

The location is between the touristy areas of Downtown Atlanta and Underground, very close to the Peachtree Center MARTA station. There's a Quizno's next door and a Dunkin Donuts also very close. It's an easy walk to several restaurants and other hotels in the area.

The building doesn't occupy much space, so there aren't many rooms on each floor, just lots of floors. The elevators seemed capable of handling the customers in a mostly timely manner.

Our room was a king studio layout: large room, sleeping area, living area, and kitchen area, and a bathroom. The bath and the kitchen had granite countertops, and the kitchen had a stainless fridge, dishwasher, and microwave, as well as two-burner cooktop, and a nicely deep sink.

Oddly, there were two phones, but neither were on the desk/table. The complimentary wifi was sufficient.

The staff seemed to be exceptionally friendly, and this mostly made up for the occasional glitch in service. There were a couple of times when we called for our car, waited on the street for some time, then inquired to find the valet staff had not gotten the request.

We arrived at the hotel on a Thursday evening about 6:55, assuming we had missed the complimentary wine, beer, and snacks... but we were told it would be continuing for another 20 minutes or so; however, when we got there about five minutes later, all the beer, wine, and food had been taken up. There were still folks socializing, but no food or drink.

I also arrived back at the room late one afternoon to find the housekeeper had started the dishwasher--to clean the already clean dishes that were in it? When it got to the dry cycle, we began to smell a plastic burning smell. At first I dismissed this as the smell of a new appliance warming up, but when I began to look for my shot glass, I began to realize what the smell was. The housekeeper had put the plastic shot glass I use on trips in the diswasher. Because it's light and small, it ended up on the drying element, becoming one with it.

The night manager came to our room to break it out of the dishwasher and offered a couple of beers as a consolation for my lost shot glass. I was amused.

Breakfast was fairly good, but it got to be predictable. The small buffet offered scrambled eggs, sausage, and biscuits--and alternated between sausage gravy and breakfast potatoes. It also featured waffles, oatmeal, and grits. However, they often ran out of both grits and eggs and were slow to re-fill them. Additional items included assorted breads, cold cereals, and toppings for eggs and grits.

There is a small "gym" near the breakfast room with a few aerobic machines as well as some fixed dumbells. According to the website and a sign in the small gym, guests can also use the Gold's Gym down the street. After speaking to the staff at the hotel, I also found that guests can have the staff arrange for guests to use the pool at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis just a few blocks away. The staff also said guests could use the Marquis' sauna and steam rooms; however, there is a $20 fee for their steam room, which is only open the hours that their Spa is open, and they have no sauna. Their pool, however, is stunning!

To sum it up, the Residence Inn Altanta Downtown is a reasonably nice property, a few glitches, but mostly a good place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank EdRockster

Reviewed January 26, 2010

The hotel was in a decent location. The rooms were nice as well, i was on one the top floors, so i had an amazing view. My room had a balcony, so i just went on the balcony and enjoyed the view.

The breakfast was good as well ( you eat at the restaurant downstairs). I also used the fitness center, and it was a pretty good fitness room. The equipment were new, and lots of towel and fresh water.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We were first-timers in Atlanta and overall we had a nice time at this hotel. What stood out to me were the employees - they were very friendly and personable. William at the fornt desk set me up with my requests even though I booked through Priceline (where you get what you get). He "upgraded" one of my rooms to a suite at no extra cost. Also, there were some women at the breakfast and happy hours that were just as nice.

The regular pricing started at about $139.00/night so we were happy when I booked two rooms though Priceline and got a steal at $51/night per room for four nights. The downfall was that they charge about $25.00/night to park. - that left me with the task of moving the car to different lots to save some $$$. Getting up early, driving around to find a deal, etc. but it was worth it because I eventually wound up at a $7/day overnight parking deck across Peachtree in a Suntrust deck.

The rooms were very comfortable and we really have no complaints there other than why on earth do the rooms still have old school (tube) tv's??? No big deal but we are in the new millenium! The room had a miniature kitchen complete with a stove, microwave, fridge, sink, and even a dishwasher! The hotel also offers free wi-fi and a free hot breakfast, along with a happy hour of sorts (M-Th only) with food choices that change each day.

The stand-alone computer in the lobby seemed to be on dial-up - it was very slow! You are better off with the free wi-fi. The hotel did let me print from their computer at no extra $$$ so that was nice. The lobby also has a 24 hour convenience store of sorts and from what I saw, prices were reasonable (ex: a bottle of soda or water was only $2).

The location was right across the street from the MARTA trains which was very convenient for our trips to the airport and Buckhead. This MARTA entrance had some of the longest escalators I have ever seen!

The location is close walking distance to our destinations - Georgia Aquarium, CNN, World of Coke, the Tabernacle, Centennial Olympic Park, and Underground. On the way to these points of interest, we ate at Ted's Montana Grill (on Luckie St.) and were pretty surprised at the quality of the food. We ate there twice! If you plan on eating there, you can get $25 certificates for as little as $2 on www.restaurant.com like we did. Unrelated to the hotel, we went to Underground for the Peach Drop on New Year's and didn't even stay for the drop - we felt unsafe due to the masses of people and lack of crowd control.

Note: the main entrance to the hotel (on Forsythe) has steps that you need to negotiate so if you can't do steps, you must enter on the Peachtree side and that side is not manned with bellhops/valet (although they might see you and run over). This side is more dangerous since it is a main drag and just after a bend. We only used that entry during our departure.

So if you need to stay in downtown Atlanta, there is no reason to exclude this hotel in your plans. It served every purpose above and beyond for our trip.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank RakkmUp
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I'll start with the few good parts: The room was OK and met needs. Comfortable bed, the usual Res Inn kitchen / living area. Very cramped bathroom. The Wifi was fine and the exercise room was very nice. Now for the rest: Breakfast was miserable for the two mornings we were there. It was the end of a holiday weekend and most of it was stale -- bagels/muffins too stale to eat and overripe fruit. Had to wait 10 minutes to have the few edible components refilled by a grudging staff. The hotel location is the other issue. It is very convenient to MARTA, that's the good part. The 4-block walk to downtown attractions -- CNN, Aquarium, Coca-Cola -- would be fine except through reduced security the city of Atlanta has let their homeless problem become a significant panhandler problem in area this hotel is located. We could not get 100 yards from hotel before being approached multiple times and sometimes quite rudely. Same problem at entrance to MARTA. The breakfast and location issue cause me to refrain from recommending.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed November 25, 2009

Great location for getting to Marta stations, Olympic Park and the Aquarium. When we booked we didn't realize parking was around $25 a day - yikes! The rooms were a very good price, but I would have factored in the parking had a known.

While in town we highly recommend the Segway tour - great way to see the city.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2009

I stayed at this hotel on June 12, 2009 for only one night to tour my current employer, Georgia State University. GSU agreed to pay for the room, but I was unaware that I had to pay for valet parking, which is how they had access to my debit card information. On two incidents, August 15 and October 22, they have fraudulently charged my account, causing me to go into overdraft. I am currently in overdraft now because of this!

Their service was fine, but make sure you pay in cash!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed October 23, 2009

This was a business/ leisure trip - went for MedTrade but arrived Saturday for a couple days sightseeing with my husband and teenager. We arrived in downtown Atlanta and could not seem to find our way to the hotel, what with all the one way streets. Called and staff stayed on the phone with us, giving us step by step directions - even walked outside to meet us two streets over, when we took a wrong turn, got in our van, and drove us back to the hotel. That's what I call going above and beyond. Valet parking was nice. Upon check in, we were directed to the 14th floor where we found we were in a studio room (not what we reserved). Used the room phone to call the desk and we were told to stay put, within 2 minutes staff was at the door to move our luggage and escort us to our queen suite room on the 12th floor. We had requested a high floor for the view, and it was not disappointing. We noticed that each room has a different layout...each space is shaped differently. We liked our second room much better - as we walked in, we were in the kitchen area, then the living room area with a fold out sleeper sofa, chair, tv in cabinet, desk and chair, two large windows with great views. The front desk explained how to quickly log on to the internet for free from our laptop - worked great. The queen bedroom was nice, with a second TV, huge window with a great view from the bedroom as well. The set up was nice, the bedroom was seperated from the bathroom by a narrow hallway - one side of the hall was the sink and vanity, and the other side of the hall was the sliding mirrored door closet. The bathroom contained the tub/shower and toilet. The bedding was very comfortable and clean as was the pillowtop mattress and many pillows provided, some feather. Had to call back to the front desk for bedding for the sofa bed, which was promptly brought up to us. The breakfast buffet area was clean and well stocked, and the lounging area was very nice, with widescreen large tv and sofas and chairs, and tables and chairs, windows overlooking the streets below. Location was great - able to walk around downtown area, everything seems to be within a few blocks, maybe 10-15 mins walk. No need to use the van - we went mostly on foot for downtown attractions - World of Coke, CNN tour - we did take a horse drawn carriage ride back to the hotel (negotiated with the driver and he took all 3 of us back to the hotel for $25, well worth it, as he pointed out several attractions and gave some history as we passed). We did call for the van to drive to the Varsity for a late lunch, then Oakland Cemetary Twilight tour, again, prompt friendly service by the valet. Returned to the hotel around 10pm and walked from the hotel to the Hard Rock Cafe about 2-3 blocks away - if I had been without my husband, probably would not have done this being later at night, as we did encounter some homeless, but we didnt feel threatened after my husband asked them to leave us alone. Not until we walked by the MARTA station about a block from the hotel and got the *bright idea* that we'd hop on the loooong escalator and ride down and back up just for the heck of it. Did I mention it was a very tall very long and slow ride down down down underground on the escalator and we realized we had messed up when the escalator beside us, going up, we saw a homeless man riding up, eyeing us....as soon as we rode down, we rode straight back up, never even "checked out" the station itself. This is the most uncomfortable we felt the whole trip...the area we felt was safe, as long as we stayed above ground.
All in all, this hotel was great, the staff made it great, and it looks to have been recently remodeled. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business