“Great Location!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #61 of 177 Hotels in Atlanta
El Segundo
“Great Location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed here while attending the Atlanta Gift Show. Hotel was renovating rooms but at no time was I inconvenienced. My room was already renovated and was very comfortable, but on the small side. That said, it was well appointed and the hotel is walking to stance to the Mart and MARTA subway station.
The staff is very helpful. There is a free hot breakfast every morning as well as a hosted cocktail period in the evening with snacks and hot food as well. All in all, this is a good choice if you are visiting downtown Atlanta.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gbfunk1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Newnan, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Service at the front desk was exceptional. Parking was no problem at all. Great location downtown. Much better room rate than nearby hotels. When in Atlanta, I used to stay at a hotel one block north but its rates went through the roof. This Marriott is a good buy.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank LReedNewnan_Georgia
Christine P, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear LReedNewnan_G,
Thank you for sending in a review of your stay with us. It's great to learn that you found the staff exceptional. I agree that this is a great bunch of folks with which to work! Their pride and joy is to help you experience our fine city. Please come back soon!
Christine P
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I stayed only 1 night, as we were traveling from Alabama to Maryland.

First the good things : The location is nice (walking distance to downtown, bars and restaurants), the hotel and the rooms are nice and clean.

So what happened?
Somebody break into our car and stole my DLSR camera.. Like many others reviews have pointed out, the parking is a public parking. So your paying a valet service to park your car in a public parking.. better do it yourself.
Normally we bring all our belongings into the room but because we were really tired after a long day of travel and also the fact the parking is not at proximity (we were already fully charged with luggage and backpacks), we decided to leave 1 or 2 bags inside the car. The car had dark tinted windows, which made very hard to see what's inside the car even in bright light (inside job?)

So what did the hotel and should have they done?
They reimbursed us the parking valet, which was REALLY the minimum (and my company is paying for the hotel so it doesn't change anything for us). In my opinion they should have reimburse the camera, offered a new one or at least reimbursed a part. How I am going take the outstanding family pictures I took with that camera? This camera had lots of sentimental value for us, it captured lots of our important moments.

I liked the Residence Inn but this story is really damaging for the hotel chain as we are staying in US for 1 year (work). Now when I have the choice, I choose Homewood Suites by default when they are nearby and not full. I have to come back to Atlanta again in January but i will not stay in that hotel again, unfortunately for them.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Mickael_UAE
Dear Mickeal_UAE,
Thanks for taking time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I'm concerned about the situation you described, and ask that you please contact me at your earliest opportunity so we may discuss this matter further.
Sincerely yours,
Christine Phillips
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

First Hotel during a trip from Georgia to Texas.

Location: In my opinion, the location is unbeatable. Direct location on Peachtree St. Easy walking distance to major attractions, restaurants, bars. However, please mind that Atlanta Downtown has not so much shopping facilities as some other major cities. But in my opinion it is still great to walk through Downtown (as already mentioned, there are many restaurants and bars, like "Sweet Georgia's Juke Joint", which is a nice restaurant/bar with live-music on every evening). Even Midtown is in walking distance, and was great to explore (I highly recommend the small restaurant "Pasta da Pulcinella", located on Peachtree Walk).

Parking: Only valet parking is offered by this hotel, but there is no better hotel around, which offers self-parking. The guys from the valet parking are very nice and efficent. The valet parking is located on Forsyth St (so is the main-entry of the hotel), and it can be very easily accessed. However, the 25$ fee seems too high, as there are many parking garages around. As far as I remember, the waiting time for the car was less than 10 Minutes.

Check-In: Nice and fast. Waiting time for the luggage, which was brought to our room, was too long (around 10 Min).

Room-Type: We had a "Larger Studio with 2 Double and Sofa" which was nice and a little larger than regular rooms. Room was on a higher floor, so there was no noise from the street. There were also no further noises from the floor or other rooms. Free Wi-Fi worked very good. Furthermore, there was a kittchenette with a microwave and a fridge in the room.

Breakfast: The breakfast-room has a nice view and the choice of food was good.

Fitness-Center: My friend said, that the fitness center was fine. It has a nice view to the street.

Overall, a good hotel, over average.

Room Tip: The larger Studios in a higher floor seems to be a good value for the slightly higher rate.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tom K
Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My wife, my friend Chase, and I had plans to go to the SEC Championship Game, so I looked for a place to stay in Atlanta (preferably on points). The day before the game, this one became available, so I booked it as fast as I could.

As seems to be my M.O., we arrived a couple of hours before check in. Still, they had a room ready for us, and they were very friendly in the check in process. The location is great for being near all the downtown attractions/sights.

The room had everything we needed. We did have to ask for a blanket, sheets, and a pillow for the sofabed for Chase. I know it's picky, but if I indicate 3 guests on the reservation, maybe that could trigger something to let them know to put sheets. It is by all means above and beyond the call, but it's free and it might be worth a fifth star.

The parking fee was reasonable. We were erroneously double charged for one day of parking. The double charge was easily evident on the bill, and when I brought it to the front desk's attention, they quickly corrected it.

Breakfast was free, and I would have paid about $15 or $20 per person for what they had to offer. In fact, their Courtyard line charges about that amount for the same quality of food.

Bottom line: if you want to have fun downtown and get to your room quickly, and if you want to be comfortable, stay here. When Alabama comes back to play in the SECCG again, I'm sure I'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lawrence H
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for our first trip to ATL. The included breakfast was substantial, and served daily by the friendliest staff. The room was spacious, and location absolutely perfect for both walking to the top sights (Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN) and driving out of ATL for others (the Fernbank, the Zoo). We were disappointed that the social suppers were not held the week we were there (due to Thanksgiving holiday?), but would definitely choose this hotel again on our next stay in Hotlanta. One suggestion: eat "out" before coming back to the hotel - the dinner choices in the neighborhood are limited.

• Stayed November 2012
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This hotel is centrally located in downtown Atlanta. Just a short 10 minute walk to the convention center. Close to the Marta and restaurants. Room was well equipped with full fridge, everything you need to cook and a coffepot. Somewhat well used interior in this property. Ok tv stations, free wifi, and a fully equipped gym. Staff was very pleasant. Breakfast served was good with some hot options. I stayed on the 4th floor and there was street noise. They were working on the building next door also during my stay and there was ALOT of noise overnight from that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business