“Serviceable; needs updating”

Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown
Ranked #74 of 174 Hotels in Atlanta
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Chose to try this because it was located 1 block from my business meeting. I'm a native of Atlanta so I wasn't totally sure what to expect staying in this specific area of downtown (sits across from the Public Library, near university and the Rialto performing arts center; it also is a couple of blocks from the Ritz). The convenience was a no-brainer. The desk staffers were very pleasant and personable (this is a huge factor for me). My room seemed more "contemporary" than I expected. The profile photo is very accurate. There was a full-size refrigerator, stove and microwave. There also was a desk and a decent-sized sofa/living area. The hotel itself as well as the bathroom area felt outdated. The vanity sink drained very slowly and the bathroom was dimly lit. Also no ceiling vent in the bathroom. And valet parking is $25 per day...pretty steep in my opinion. But the same at other downtown Atlanta hotels.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Christine P, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear QSpot,
Thanks for writing a review of your stay with us this month. The staff and I are glad to know you found the location convenient, the photos of the guest room accurate and the staff to be personable! We appreciate your feedback about the bathrooms and want you to know we continously update, so we will use your input as we move forward. Thank you for taking the time to write and please come back and stay with us the next time your travels bring you to Atlanta!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

During out nearly 3 weeks trip in the south east US, this was our best stay. The hotel cannot be more central in Atlanta, the rooms were nice and the staff very kind and helpful. Nothing really to complain about. The breakfast was over average and they even offered a complimentary "afternoon get-together" with drinks and snacks. We were even lucky to get the rooms to a very favorable rate.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Christine P, General Manager at Residence Inn Atlanta Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear joergenede,
Thanks so much for taking time to submit your review regarding your recent stay with us! I'm delighted to learn we rated high on your list of stays during your three week travels in the U.S.! Please tell your friends about us and come back and stay with us the next time your world travels bring you to Atlanta!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

First I booked this hotel through Priceline.com which as just as difficult to deal with over the issues that I encountered as this hotel. I booked 2 nights through Priceline and they had 2 separate reservations when we checked in. The hotel also informed us that there was a $100 non-refundable deposit for our pets which was not listed on pricelines web site. Then it's a $25 a DAY charge for parking. To beat it all off after all that the next morning I was gone and my wife was woken up several times telling her that we were supposed to be check out by now and when she informed them that we were booked for 2 nights they figured it out for the second time , then they wanted to charge us another $100 pet deposit and $25 parking fee again, after pleading with them we got the pet fee waived but still had to pay the parking fee again.

So all and all over $300 to stay at this hotel!!!!!, we could have stayed at a much nicer hotel with a bigger room and $5 parking for this price.

Room Tip: Anywhere but here!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kevin N

Dear Kevin N,
Thank you for submitting a review of your stay with us. Please accept my apology for not being informed of the pet fee and nightly parking fee when booking through Priceline. I understand this is important and will follow up to ensure these items are properly listed. Further, i apologize for the confusion regarding your two separate reservations for two consecutive nights. We can and will do better to anticipate our guest needs in the future. Thanks to customers like you who are willing to provide us feedback, we are able to continuously improve! Kevin N, we appreciate your business very much and ask that you please come back and stay with us again.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel was wonderful. We stayed 3 nights and I couldn't have been more pleased. All of the staff was extremely nice. The valet guys are quick and get to know you quickly. The room was very clean and really nice finishes. I loved having the kitchen especially for an extended stay. The full size fridge was really nice to have that way you could easily have cold drinks available without filling an ice bucket. The area was nice and I did not feel uneasy at all. The hot breakfast was great and they even change it up a little each day so if you stay multiple time you can eat something different each morning. The free dinner with free beer and wine in the evening was an added bonus. It wasn't like something from a 5 star restaurant but more than pleasing for sure. I would stay here again on my next visit to Atlanta.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear AS10Mobile,
Thank you so much for taking time to submit a review of your stay with us! It's great to learn that you loved the accommodations, especially the kitchen, and found the hotel to be clean and well appointed. The valets will be excited to read that you rated their service as quick and friendly! Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Residence Inn Atlanta downtown for 7 nights while I was attending a conference in the area. The hotel looked unassuming from the outside, but inside was another story. Our suite was charming. It was modern, roomy and very clean. I really liked the dark wood throughout the hotel. In the lobby the ceiling is an original masterpiece! You have to see it to believe it, The breakfast area was roomy and relaxing.
The Manager, Raymond, was so friendly. He took guests on a free walking tour downtown each Tuesday evening. My husband and I really enjoyed that! All of the staff we encountered were warm and friendly. Only boo-boo was that they forgot to clean our room one morning, but the Manager on duty sent some up ASAP to change the linens and towels once we notified him that evening.
The hotel is at a good location. Lots of great resutrants in walking distance. Be careful though as there are a lot of beggars in the area.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay at this warm and inviting hotel!

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ABCFDC

Dear ABCFDC,
Thank you for writing a review of your week long stay with us in July! I am happy to know you found the hotel to be charming! The Tuesday complimentary walking tour has been a hit with our guests for the past three years, and I am glad you enjoyed Raymond's tour guide skills! ABCFDC, please stay with us again the next time your travels bring you back to Atlanta!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

I took my 15 year old son to Atlanta for UFC 145. I was a little worried about which hotel to stay because of the bad areas downtown. We stayed here for 5 nights and I would have to give it a solid 9! I would have given it a 10, except room service forgot about cleaning our room a couple of times. For the price, you can not beat this hotel. Great location, great price, great staff and free breakfast..

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank George I
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear George 1,
Thanks so much for staying with us and taking time to write a review! I am happy to know you enjoyed your stay, found the hotel to be in a good location, and the staff to be friendly! I've shared your feedback about your housekeeping service with our housekeeping director since we know it is very important to prrovide consistent service, and we are committed to doing so. Please come back and stay with us again the next time you visit Atlanta!

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed here 1 night, we had a studio suite. The staff was very nice and the room was very comfortable (even for 3 people). The TV had HD channels which is rare, the free breakfast was decent and the location was perfect. The sofa-bed was probably the most comfortable sofa-bed I have ever slept on and the sheets were great. The hotel is a little old but it gives it more character and the architecture is very nice.Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 10, 2012

Dear Cbass9,
Thank you for being and guest and taking time to submit a review of your stay! It's great to hear you enjoyed the HD stations and found the sofa bed to be comfortable! I agree the historical building the hotel resides in adds to the experience of being in downtown Hotlanta! Please come back and stay with us again soon!