DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria
Ranked #58 of 172 Hotels in Atlanta
Phoenix, Arizona
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2007

We loved this hotel! The suites on the upperfloors were newly renovated and huge. There was a minibar with refrigerator, 2 televisions, beautiful bathroom with Jacuzzi bathtub. There was a hideaway bed in the living area. The bedroom had separate doors and was completely private. The bed was extremely comfortable. Downstairs there was a terrific hot breakfast. Staff was very helpful with finding our way around, and offered directions and maps. There was a daily charge for wireless internet connection. We went for a getaway without our kids, and had a great and romantic stay.

Stayed July 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Atlanta, GA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2007

Location is in the middle of a fast food alley in a very busy area of the Atlanta brubs. right next to Dobbins AFB so planes going over regularly. Staff was ok, food was not too bad, coffee was crappy and $4 a cup in the AM, no freebies at this business traveler type hotel. Rooms are nice and comfortable, beds are nice. Lobby reminds me of a small airport gate. All in all, just ok.

• Liked — The bed
  • Disliked — The coffee and internet connection
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank atlbrent
Lafayette, LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2007

We loved this place!!! The rooms were clean, the beds were REALLY comfortable...the linens were really crisp...the staff went out of their way to help us get to where we were going in Atlanta. We had a small prbolem with the thermostat in the room, and the maintenance personnell were there to fix it in ten minutes. They took care of it and were on their way...brakfast was really good and a good value, too. We would definitely refommend this hotel to travelers, and would definitely stay here again!!! The HUGE tub was AWESOME!!!

Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2007

I drove down a good distance to the Doubletree Guest Suites-Galleria a month before my wedding to check it out in person. I liked the suite layout and the atrium so much that I switched my reservation from another hotel to this one.

When I arrived with my wife my honeymoon night I arrived with high expectations of Doubletree. I was quickly disappointed.
Upon arrival I was told that the King , 2 room Non-Smoking suite that we had reserved was not available. Two hotel rooms were available, one of which was a smoking room. The smell was too strong so we went to the other room, which we were told had a jacuzzi also. We arrived and found that it actually had a handicap-access shower with no tub. The bed was not a King, it was not the suite that we had reserved, and was really no better than most standard hotel rooms that I have been in.

The one elevator that was working had a construction worker in it who was reluctant to move around a spill in the floor so that my wife's wedding dress wouldn't get stained with Kool-Aid or Coke, whichever it was. A staff member was present with me when the drink was spilled earlier, but it had not been tended by the time I went back down to the lobby with my wife.

I told the staff that this was not what we had reserved and we were told that we could wait while some of the other rooms marked "dirty" in the system were investigated and cleaned up for us. It was already late and I told them that we would just go to another hotel. We had difficulty finding availability at other hotels because it was a holiday weekend, so we wound up going from hotel to hotel on our honeymoon night until we found a decent room at the Sheraton.
I was told by the Doubletree staff that my pre-paid room could not be refunded because it was booked on the Internet (Hilton's own website), even though the room offered to us was not the one we had confirmed by telephone with Doubletree. Later that night my brother-in-law had a conversation with Doubletree personnel who assured him that our room would be refunded. I have heard the recording of that conversation. He was also told that I would be called the next day. I was not contacted for weeks and when I was contacted, I was offered an apology for our "past stay" (which we never stayed there) and that the room could not be refunded because it was booked online. A complimentary stay was offered for later in the year when renovations would be complete.

So I still have not been offered a refund for a honeymoon night stay that never took place because our reservation was not kept. I could think of a lot of ways that Doubletree could have handled the situation better and would think that a company as reputable as Doubletree would do everything possible to rectify the situation given that we chose them for our honeymoon night. In retrospect that was a big mistake. I cannot recommend this hotel until the renovations are complete and adjustments are made in policy/ customer service. I am disappointed in this particular hotel's handling of the situation and the company in general for failing to display a genuine concern for the customer.

5 Thank JKGeorgia
Roosevelt, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2007

Having read some earlier reviews, I figured the hotel was undergoing renovations.

There are no pantries, stores for little incidentals (water, toothpaste, etc), and no business center. All items I am told that will come with the renovations.

The staff was not very helpful or friendly. I needed scissors and tape to gift wrap a gift. I was told they did not have scissors at the front desk and was given 2 pieces of tape for the gift wrap.
My checkout bill was not delivered before my 4AM checkout. I had to request it.

The interior halls need to be updated and painted. The carpeting is dirty and worn.

The room was clean and huge, but has seen better days. The upholstery was torn and lighting was scarce. The walls are thin. I am not a light sleeper, but I could here the noise in the hallway and the room next door which is unusual for a 2 room suite.

The bathroom was a nice size and the whirlpool was huge.
Small parking lot might be a problem if hotel is filled or if there is a banquet.

Ok to stay here if you get a good deal and do not need any "extras".

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — undergoing renovations
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Treisha G
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2007

Watch out, they will not let you cancel a reservation unless you are hospitalized. Employees are rude.

Stayed June 2007
1 Thank benellisima
Ames, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2006

I am a business traveler that stays 50+ nights in a hotel each year. I stayed at this hotel because of the location and the fact that it was a Hilton property. I am a HHonors Gold member and I paid ~$130 during the week.

My check in experience was very easy, as expected, and I was able to check in approximately 45 minutes early. I was informed that there are normally cookies available at the front desk but since I was checking in early, I should check back. I was not upgraded at all but I was given breakfast coupons due to my HHonors status.

When I entered my room I found that the air conditioner was not turned on. The thermostat in the room read that it was nearly 90 degrees in the room. There was condensation of the windows caused by the extreme heat and humidity. I turned on the A/C immediately and was forced to leave the hotel room because of the heat. I returned three hours later to find that the room was only marginally cooler.

I proceeded to the front desk and the staff was more than willing to put me in another room although this room was also not up to Hilton standards. Again the air conditioner was not on (as it should be) but at least was able to cool down the room within an hour. There are several areas of the room and entry door that are discolored from spills, leaks, and other occurrences and need to be repaired and/or painted. This gives the room a very dirty appearance. I had a limited number of lights that functioned and the shower did not operate properly.

The internet that I had to pay ~$10 to access was extremely slow at about 200kbps. I was also disappointed with the free breakfast. It included only the very basics. I'm sure glad I didn't have to pay for it. The hotel is also planned to undergo a major remodel. This will definitely improve the hotel a LOT.

The MAJOR problem with my stay relates to a $400+ overcharge to my credit card. I faxed a detailed letter of my experience and followed up with the general manager after a week. He put me in touch with the office manager who researched all of the issues I addressed. My money was refunded and I was compensated very, very well. They understood the severity of the problem and corrected it about as well as I could expect them to.

All in all I would probably not stay at this hotel again until the renovations are complete. This is a very limited review of the property but I think I touched on the main points. I realize that the Hilton Atlanta Northeast property is not in the same general area but with the cost being ~$50 less and the service, building quality, amenities, restaurant, room upgrades, etc all superior, I would recommend staying there instead.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hotel is run down and dirty (but scheduled for a major remodel)
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this hotel. There are better hotels that cost less. Outside pictures look nice but the inside isn't comparable.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled on business