DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria
Ranked #48 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
Philadelphia, United States
“Worn Out”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

This hotel is in desperate need of updating and a good cleaning. The staff is very friendly and is informative but he carpet, walls, furniture are worn out. This place is in need of a full make over. It is in an excellent location to where I do business however I cannot stay there again because it is so bad!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank Theresa J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed December 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Full disclosure: am a Gold HHonors member and have been for some time.

Check-in: process was more or less easy. I utilized eCheck-in and the folio for with my key and room number was preprinted. The desk clerk did thank me, albeit quietly and quickly, for being a Gold member. I was presented with my cookie as is typical for DoubleTrees. My room was on the eighth floor, the top floor reserved exclusively for HHonors members (the seventh floor also has this badge).

Room: Elevators were quick. Room was somewhat smaller than I expected, especially compared to the Sheraton down the street, it was about half the size. It actually had two balconies - one off the living room and one off the bedroom. Biggest complaint about the balconies: they're open into the only atrium/public gathering space, and there were lots of people at the bar until about 1am. This meant I could hear everything. There is NO soundproofing here. The living room was well-appointed but a bit dim even with the lamps on. The outlet for the coffee maker was dead so I had to move that into the bedroom. Fridge was a good size but the kitchen counter was conspicuously missing a microwave - something I'm used to in suites. The bathroom was clearly recently redone, and was very clean, but the shower felt a bit old. There was also an odd sulfur-like smell when I ran the shower.

Breakfast: nothing special - I would not pay full price for it, but it was complimentary as a Gold member. It did not necessarily taste bad but I also didn't leave overly impressed. My waiter was very attentive and took care of everything almost immediately, but it also was not very crowded. The manager came around and asked a few tables how they were doing, but it was quite obvious that she ignored the tables that did not look like they were worth her time - myself (a college student) and a group of men who came down in their pajamas. I do believe that my age is a great factor in how I evaluate somewhere I stay - I generally only choose upscale hotels when I can help it, and have had some excellent service experiences and some not so great ones. This was more or less average.

Gold benefits: I called the day ahead and requested early check-in. This was granted at 2pm. During eCheck-in, I asked for down pillows. Those were on my bed, wrapped up in a bow, when I arrived. I requested late check-out the night before as is standard and was told that I had to call back at 9am when the "front desk arrived". I went down to the front desk in the morning and was told that the cleaning staff requested no late check-outs today, but she would see what she could do. After paging the clerk, I got an extra hour. It was a little off-putting to even have the desk clerk mention that the cleaning staff wanted to get off earlier so I couldn't stay later (...?), but the extra hour helped. Again, not what I was used to with the Sheraton down the street (I get 4pm checkout there, as an SPG Gold member).

Overall thoughts: nice hotel, comfortable stay, but nothing spectacular. When I go back to the area, my first choice will still be the Sheraton - it is generally around the same price and the entire experience is just slightly more upscale. See my other review for that hotel.

Room Tip: If you are an SPG member, get a room on the 7th or 8th floor. The balcony really is not worth it - i...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank btr94
Emerald Coast Florida
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I actually exected alot more from this hotel. It appears very worn from the minute you walk through the front doors. When you get to the room, you know it. As a Diamond Honors Member, we were very dissapointed. The first room smelled of cigaratte smoke, The second room we got had been deoderized. The bed sheets had were so old and thin you could practically watch TV through them. Previous trip reports were somewhat misleading based on my expectations.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bchtravlr
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Highly recommend this hotel. Hotel located near a major highway and in an area easily accessible to shopping. Room used for the event was easily located and adequate for our use. The actual sleeping room was clean with two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. A microwave and refrigerator was provided in the room.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Greenville, United States
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Basically a great hotel; although we did experience filthy linen on the sofa bed, spotty cable issues and unruly children running wild in the hallways after midnite. But that being said, the room was clean and the bed in the bedroom was clean and comfortable. Hotel staff was professional and apologetic regarding our issues. And of course, the cookie was awesome! All-in-all, I would recommend the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Cons: at check in 3pm rooms are still unavailable due to housekeeping still in progress so initial suite booked not available, either lower noiser floor rooms near the banquet rooms which have doors open blasting reception music or upper level rooms(few due to continuing housekeeping) with out dated,stained, or not well cleaned whirlpool tubs instead of stand alone cleaner showers- apparently housekeeping has closets located on the floors that they loudly bang their carts in and out of early in the morning like 7am til checkout, the front desk is completely unaware of the disruption it causes and just says she will check into it which doesn't resolve anything. Not a business or quiet sleeping kind of hotel- music blasting up to the forth floor past 8 then ridiculously loud carts banging and sliding out of closet early mornings, front desk nonchalantly address reason for noisy staff with humor, though waking up to that, after hours of music isn't funny at all--Pros: tasty cookies at check-in

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Live_Love_Life_Trips
Chicago, United States
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Food was great, service at front desk was great. Room service with no smile. Room was a bit dirty---carpet had a strange powder scattered on the floor, couch had a huge oil-type stain. I expected a lot more from Hilton.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Galleria
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta Galleria Center
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Galleria
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Residence Inn Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria? Share your experiences!