“Not at all what I expected”

DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria
Ranked #53 of 173 Hotels in Atlanta
tampa
“Not at all what I expected”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My wife, son and I stayed here on points from July 15-20 as he was at a tennis camp in the area. I am a Gold Honors member. This place has issues but I feel it is more a management issue than anything else! The people at the front desk, breakfast/bar area and hospitality are tremendous! Always a smile on their face and they always seem overworked and on their last nerve. BUT they smile and help and do everything they can.

Let's see:
Hotel recently changed over to DirectTv (per one of their engineers) so not all tv's in the rooms work. Ours was one of MANY in hotel he said where HD channels only worked in bedroom, analog only in main living area. therefore leaving you 4 channels in main living area. Apparently it costs too much to get the digital chip to extend it to all the older tv's or to replace them. So you have to live with it.
Housekeeping is poor. Constantly had to ask for room to be cleaned and serviced, bring towels, etc... it would be nice if they vaccuumed from time to time and picked up. We found toys in our room under tables and drapes, Jolly Rancher wrappers in same place on floor all week in room. Same cigarette butt in hallway outside our room all week along with a small bowl that mysteriously showed up and stayed in same place in hallway for 3 days. seriously people? You can't lean over and pick it up? Even times when they did bring clean towels or service the room they would leave the old towels and wash cloths! One night I spoke to Karen (I believe her name was) and she told me she was in charge of hospitality, etc...and she led me to believe things would be taken care of. Uhhhhhh, no, that did not happen.
Pool area was a mess on the one day my wife and son went down to swim: towels, trash, etc...all over the pool area on Monday, July 16.

Why do I think it is a management problem? All the guys in suits and ties and women dressed like "non-hotel workeds" with name badges could've cared less about helping at any time. I observed multiple times people standing in groups of 3's looking and pointing and going behind counters and rooms by business center. Never once did they say hello. never once did they acknowledge, in our presence, any of the service people. One day there was a line of 5-6 people waiting to check-in, etc... and one guy came back behind the counter, said something to the front desk clerk and walked away. never said a WORD to any of the people. The supposed "management" of this hotel, in my opinion, was more into looking busy and important than coming down to help. the hotel was completely booked every night, so they told me, and yet they had too few people working to help those of us staying there.

This place is poor, maybe even borderline pathetic. Go for the people that actually SERVE you on a daily basis only, but your money and points are better spent somewhere else (try the Hampton Inn at Circle 75 Parkway for WAY better service and only one half mile away).

Room Tip: Get a room facing the outside of the hotel and not the inside as the inner atrium is very noisy.
1 Thank gatechfan68
DTSUITESATLANTA, General Manager at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
It was our pleasure to work things out with you after your stay. I am sorry that things did not go well with your stay and as with any hotel things can happen. We do appreciate your business and I know that you are not travelling this way anytime soon but when you do give me a call. Rich Johnston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Knoxville, TN
Reviewed August 3, 2012

took the family down to see a Braves game this weekend, got a King Suite for a great deal through work. Not sure what the normal price is but for $87 per night it was very good. The hotel is nice and clean and the staff is very polite and helpful. The room wasn't perfect, but the exceeded my expectations. The bed was comfortable, the room was clean and there was plenty of space. The shower in the jetted tub was very nice as well. The atrium and restaurant is a nice change, kinda reminded me of Opryland on a much, much smaller scale. We didn't have time to try the restaurant, but we were told meals were $15 per person for all you can eat with our kids being free. Will try it out when we return. The pool is small, but we didnt really have intentions of using one anyway. I will be back to this hotel

Room Tip: would have liked to have had a room with a balcony over the atrium, will definitely request next tim...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Debbie W, Director of Sales at DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria, responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying at the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Atlanta Galleria on your recent trip to Atlanta to see an Atlanta Braves Game. I do hope they won! Your comments and review are very much appreciated and we certainly look forward to your return when you are in the Atlanta area.

We do have an excellent restaurant (The Cliffs) serving breakfast daily for less than $15.00 per person with children 12 and under being free. We also serve lunch, dinner and we have room service. Hopefully when you return you will be able to experience all our culinary treats, including our daily fresh baked muffins, danishes and flaky croissants.

We look forward to serving you and your family again. Please let me know if there is anything I may assist you with. Have a great day!

Yours in hospitality,
Debbie Wells
Director of Sales
Princeton, New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I booked this room for 4 people including my 8 month old son in june. I booked the 2 room suite because it was a great price and had the best accomidations for my son. We drove from NJ all the way to Ga for a family vacation. As soon as I checked in the staff seemed pretty nice they gave me the keys and cookies but they didnt tell us what the hotel had to offer pool, gym nothing. So we get to the room and it was a nice clean regular room that I didnt book. So I went downstairs and told the hotel attendent that they gave me the wrong room. I booked a two room suite with a frige and crib. The lady downstairs said im sorry but we are all booked up. I told her I'm not asking for a room I didn't book months ago I want the room I paid for. So they understood my situation and gave me the room I booked and I guess they were upset with me because they still didnt tell me anything about the hotel. So when we got to the room it was not the cleanest the carpet had stains and the couch had stains and looked very worn. It was the room I asked for just not clean. I booked 4 nights here so on the first night I put baby in the crib that was in room and in the middle of the night for 2 nights I was wondering why he was screaming bloody murder because he has always slept through the night. Come to find out he had tiny blood marks on him and on the sheet. He was getting bit by bugs so from then on I put him in bed with us and he slept peacefully the remaining 2 nights. This whole trip was a major inconvenience for me especially because I drove 12hrs to get treated rudely by their staff.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Lyndsey B
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Doubletree has always been a great brand of Hilton's in my opinion so i had no trouble booking this trip and staying here. Upon arrival i was greeted and given my cookies as usual. But as I checked in and inspected the room the trouble began...The furnishings were stained, torn and the tub was dirty. There was some trash that had been left in the room from the previous guest. But here was the big one...we had bugs..yes bugs. I did not know what they were but they looked like lady bugs..i walked to the front desk and explained they bug issue and the attendant said..oh yeah..we get those sometimes, they are just ladybugs...really? They were all over the room, on the couch, on the kitchette counter, on the ac unit...etc. She offered to move me but it was already late and i wanted to relax. I really expected more from a doubletree...it was like i was staying in a ________...you fill in the blanks...

Room Tip: Choose one that does not have bugs!
Prattville, Alabama
Reviewed July 22, 2012

We booked this room because the price was great. The hotel is nice and the front desk clerk was very friendly to us. We were on the 7th floor. Our room was clean but the beds are a bit small. Says the beds are queens but more like doubles, in my opinion. Now for the bad parts. The hotel is set up so that all floor hallways open up to the lobby, therefore, even on the 7th floor, our room was extremely loud from all the lobby noise. We were trying to sleep with 3 kids in the room, and all we could hear was laughing and noise from the lobby. Around 10:30, someone knocked on our door twice, but we could see no one through the peep hole so we didn't open the door. Not sure if we will stay here again.

Indianola, Mississippi
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My husband 40th birthday was coming up. I wanted to take him somplace nice with full of attractions and a place he never been before. So I search the web on tripadvisor for some idea. And I came across all the great reviews for Atlanta. they where great and helpfull. So i made my choice for Atlanta. Looked up hotel review an found great reviews for the Doubletree Guest Suites.So i made my choice. Let me tell u that the reviews and pictures for the hotel was right on time. Our stay and expierence at the hotel was EVERYTHIN AND MORE. The suite was spacious and clean. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slepted in in any hotel stay I've had. This will be the only hotel chain I will stay in the furture.

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and spacious
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank seventybaby
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed July 16, 2012

If you are considering staying at this property(especially on a weekend) RUN far, far away. The hotel caters to the local 'family reunion' scene and routinely overbooks. Arrived to check-in with my family at 3:30PM on Friday and had to wait in line 25 minutes -- no dedicated HHonors line, no luggage carts, rushed and impersonal check-in experience. Lobby is slammed, children running around everywhere, lines at the elevators. Staff completely overwhelmed.

Finally, we get to our room, and, like other reviews have stated, find that it reeks of smoke (supposedly a non-smoking room) and is generally filthy. There are spots and stains on the mattresses and sleeper sofa and what appeared to be mold near the air condition vent. View from the window overlooked a graveled roof littered with everything from beer cans to a bag of oranges (yes, really).

Called the front desk and asked if any other rooms are available. They offer us two rooms on separate floors (we were in a two 'queen' [which were actually doubles, FYI] suite as a family) at the rack rate. Otherwise, they are sold out. Thanks, but no thanks.

No apology for the inconvenience, no real attempt made to rectify the solution. We left the property immediately (dragging our luggage down the stairs because the elevators were so clogged).

I have stayed at this particular DoubleTree three times within the past year and the experience has gotten increasingly worse each time, mainly due to family reunions, but also because this hotel has quickly become used and abused. The last time we stayed here another family reunion was being held and the hotel allowed the DJ to play in the lobby until 11PM and then made no attempt to settle down the hotel after the reunion. Guests screaming and drunkenly running through the halls (an open-atrium hotel) well after midnight. Additionally, our pull-out couch was broken, and, again, the room seemed dingy.

The reason we returned to this hotel is the price, quite decent on the weekends. However, that being said, if you are willing to pay $10-15 more dollars a night then there are several other Hilton properties within 5 miles (an Embassy Suites, Homewood Suites, AND Hampton Inn & Suites) that offer better accommodations, a better regulated guest experience, better breakfast, and, ultimately, better location to the Galleria and Interstates. There is also a Sheraton Suites nearby.

We stayed at the Hampton Inn and Suites (a three minute drive) for the entire week before moving to the DoubleTree on the weekend (better rate) and sorely regretted having made the change.

I am a Hilton HHonors Diamond member and stay with the chain across the country on a routine basis for business/pleasure with my family. This DoubleTree is permanently off my list because of the poor quality of its facilities, lacking customer service, and total lack of valued treatment for HHonors guests.

For what it's worth, we ended up moving to the nearby Hyatt Place (our first time not staying in a Hilton hotel in years) and were supremely pleased with our experience there. Clean room, GREAT breakfast, reasonable price, and QUIET!

2 Thank Neuroid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlanta
Hampton Inn & Suites Atlanta - Galleria
Wingate by Wyndham Atlanta Galleria Center
Sheraton Suites Galleria Atlanta
Embassy Suites by Hilton Atlanta - Galleria
Hyatt Place Atlanta/Cobb Galleria
Residence Inn Atlanta Cumberland/Galleria

Been to DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Atlanta - Galleria? Share your experiences!